S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spray paint on my Jag.....WTH

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spray paint on my Jag.....WTH

This week the maintenance guy was spray painting the mailbox and my car got spray painted in the process. I talked to the leasing office today to let them know about it and the manager asked me do I think it can be buffed out. The paint is all on my drivers side door, windows, sunroof and on the headlights a little So the manager said that it is top priority and that she's gonna call around to see what can be done. What are your thoughts feel free to let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks in advance

Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Surely you've got a claim against the maintenance company for gross neglect.
I'd photograph the car and mailbox with the car where it was when this happened PDQ.

The following users liked this post:
SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Polishing compound may remove that overspray, especially if you have recently waxed your car. I had some overspray from painting our former house drift onto one of our vehicles when the wind picked up and blew a cloud of paint (actually stain) about 25 yards away. I thought I had moved the vehicle far enough away from the house to be safe, but no. Fortunately, my polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease removed all traces of the overspray....

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I last used clay bar to get if off and a bit of elbow grease

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

^ +1.

In many cases, clay-bar can remove the overspray.

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the replies, clay bar may work and I do have a heavy duty buffer but its in so many different places on the car so I honestly don't know

Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Do not do ANY paint removal yourself at this point. Wait for your leasing company to respond to you with their action plan on your behalf. If they will pay for a professional paint overspray removal job that you trust, you do not want to interfere with that process by doing any work yourself - yet....

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Before you do any type of buffing, go to the auto parts store and pick up a can of "prep solvent"

This is used before painting you car to remove old wax, silicone, garbage, overspray ect. This stuff will not harm properly cured car paint but will pull off spray paint if it hasn't been on the car too long.

You will have to reapply wax or what ever else you use to protect the paint but that's small beans compared to a ruined paint job with cured on spray paint.

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,736 Likes on 8,731 Posts

Go with Jon89's advice. DO NOTHING to your car except to take lots of pics. Note the time and location of the incident and keep it all in a safe place...you never know..
IF a paint shop or....cannot fix it... a complete paint job may be required.
This does not sound like a diy job...

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The apartment complex is responsible for what happened to your car. So why do ANYTHING yourself?? Some people get real crazy with the whole "DIY" attitude, to the point where they'll actually make situations WORST, and this is a prime example. Just because you know how to, doesn't mean you should. By trying to do any kind of repair yourself, you're creating a possible legal mess for yourself. If you try using clay, solvent, club-damn-soda or whatever anyone else "recommends" you do, if this doesn't fix the problem, the apartment complex can turn into corporate jerks and claim whatever they want (it wasn't that bad, you screwed your car up worst, etc) and actually take part of their responsibility OUT of repairing your car.

If the management gets spooky (or more-likely, whatever corporation that owns the apartment), they may just tell you to take them to court. You don't wanna' stand in front of a judge trying to claim what you did to try and fix the problem didn't make matters worst. When asked by Good Ol Boy Judge Roberts, "Son, instead of taking the car to a body shop in the first place, why try repairing this yourself? Aren't these 'Jags' special cars and all? What makes you qualified?", you're probably gonna' get laughed at saying "Internet experts told me what to do, your honor!".

My advice? Don't just take photos, take video of your car, of the mailbox AND of the overspray left on the ground and make sure to speak the time and date. Then, go to a body shop, explain the full situation and get them to give you a written estimate on repairing all the paint and then present that to the apartment complex management (do some research on your own regarding dealing with apartments and claims of damages). Feel free to show'em the video you recorded as you want to "show your hand" as a way to discourage their corporate offices from saying "Tell him to take us to small claims court if he wants to recover any damages.". Remember, Peggy Sue down at Sunnyvale Apartments might act sweet as a Georgia peach on a summer night... but the decision for anything like this comes from some cold, faceless corporate office and she KNOWS it. "Sorry 'sug! Tee-hee!". Don't use blind faith if you have an alternative. JbB

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM

JbB, I'm not going to do anything to the car until I hear what they have to say. Thank god so far I havent had any cold, faceless corporate office say they wasn't responsible...LOL and I pray it doesn't come down to that but of course I am prepared to take them to small claims court if needed. I just hate it happend

Originally Posted by JbB
The apartment complex is responsible for what happened to your car. So why do ANYTHING yourself?? Some people get real crazy with the whole "DIY" attitude, to the point where they'll actually make situations WORST, and this is a prime example. Just because you know how to, doesn't mean you should. By trying to do any kind of repair yourself, you're creating a possible legal mess for yourself. If you try using clay, solvent, club-damn-soda or whatever anyone else "recommends" you do, if this doesn't fix the problem, the apartment complex can turn into corporate jerks and claim whatever they want (it wasn't that bad, you screwed your car up worst, etc) and actually take part of their responsibility OUT of repairing your car.

If the management gets spooky (or more-likely, whatever corporation that owns the apartment), they may just tell you to take them to court. You don't wanna' stand in front of a judge trying to claim what you did to try and fix the problem didn't make matters worst. When asked by Good Ol Boy Judge Roberts, "Son, instead of taking the car to a body shop in the first place, why try repairing this yourself? Aren't these 'Jags' special cars and all? What makes you qualified?", you're probably gonna' get laughed at saying "Internet experts told me what to do, your honor!".

My advice? Don't just take photos, take video of your car, of the mailbox AND of the overspray left on the ground and make sure to speak the time and date. Then, go to a body shop, explain the full situation and get them to give you a written estimate on repairing all the paint and then present that to the apartment complex management (do some research on your own regarding dealing with apartments and claims of damages). Feel free to show'em the video you recorded as you want to "show your hand" as a way to discourage their corporate offices from saying "Tell him to take us to small claims court if he wants to recover any damages.". Remember, Peggy Sue down at Sunnyvale Apartments might act sweet as a Georgia peach on a summer night... but the decision for anything like this comes from some cold, faceless corporate office and she KNOWS it. "Sorry 'sug! Tee-hee!". Don't use blind faith if you have an alternative. JbB

Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Get someone you know to look at the car & the area painted & take pics. The other person is your witness re: the pics. Get a few estimates from reputable shops. You should not be doing any work. Speak to your insurance company (just to CYA). EVERYTHING you say to the condo corp (or whatever it is) should be in writing. NO exceptions. They should be responsible to getting the ar back to a stage that YOU are happy with

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on the video and make a copy or two, most likely will come in handy...

SlimGoody (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM

I will be taking pics tomorrow, and I will also contact my insurance company. That was a great idea. Thanks I'll keep you guys informed

Originally Posted by DougB
Get someone you know to look at the car & the area painted & take pics. The other person is your witness re: the pics. Get a few estimates from reputable shops. You should not be doing any work. Speak to your insurance company (just to CYA). EVERYTHING you say to the condo corp (or whatever it is) should be in writing. NO exceptions. They should be responsible to getting the ar back to a stage that YOU are happy with

Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM

UPDATE

The leasing office called me today and asked me to take my car to a detail shop that they had contacted. Yes they are going to pay for the work She said they are suppose to have something to get the paint out and then they will use a compound. So I'm going to go by there so they can take a look at it. Let's see how this goes you guys

Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Right on brotha'. Make sure to take video of the car after it gets out, even if it appears completely fixed... ya never know. And don't delete the before or after video, just transfer'em from your smartphone to your computer (and save all paperwork). Just in case a few months or years down the road an issue comes up, you'll want this evidence. JbB

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Hey JbB, I'm a sister not a brother....LOL But it's cool I went to the detail place and they said that they could use clay bar on it but they are not sure the problemwill be corrected. So now the leasing office asked me to take it to a body shop that they referred. I'm going to go there to get a estimate but I'm going to choose my own body shop to get a estimate from as well. What do you all think

Originally Posted by JbB
Right on brotha'. Make sure to take video of the car after it gets out, even if it appears completely fixed... ya never know. And don't delete the before or after video, just transfer'em from your smartphone to your computer (and save all paperwork). Just in case a few months or years down the road an issue comes up, you'll want this evidence. JbB

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SlimGoody
Hey JbB, I'm a sister not a brother....LOL But it's cool I went to the detail place and they said that they could use clay bar on it but they are not sure the problemwill be corrected. So now the leasing office asked me to take it to a body shop that they referred. I'm going to go there to get a estimate but I'm going to choose my own body shop to get a estimate from as well. What do you all think
I think you're doing it the right way and you might get 1-2 more quotes. There will be somebody who will know the right way to do it. You don't need to use their body shop. Even if it ends up needing a complete repaint (I hope not), they still have to pay for it.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Aww thank you Jay, I went to the place they referred me to and the estimate came up to $326 and that is for polish exterior, clean molding for over spray, and clean glass for over spray What do you guys think

Originally Posted by Jayt2
I think you're doing it the right way and you might get 1-2 more quotes. There will be somebody who will know the right way to do it. You don't need to use their body shop. Even if it ends up needing a complete repaint (I hope not), they still have to pay for it.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

I'd still get a quote from another shop to compare.

Quick Reply: Spray paint on my Jag.....WTH