S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Cleaning!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Spring Cleaning!!!!

The nice weather is here, well at least in the Northeast, and it's time to break out all the auto products and get down to business.

So I have set a slot aside tomorrow to give the STR the "Works". Wash, rubbing compound, polish and wax.

I just bought a Vapor 6" random orbital with both terry cloth and microfiber bonnets. This will be the first time using a machine and with all the S's curves I'm actually somewhat nervous. I have heard HORROR stories of burning the clearcoat and paint right off. They had a 10" orbital, but I think that would be too hard to handle around tight spots and edges.

No idea if the orbital i bought is good or not, but am going to do some research on it, and try and look up some tips. Anybody got any for me? Do you guys apply by hand and buff off with orbital or both apply and buff?

Like I said Im thinking of using some Meguire's Platinum Rubbing compound, than Turtle Wax "Black Box" polish finishing up with Turtle Wax "Black Box" wax.

The "Black Box" stuff is made for black vehicles, it is a colored polish and wax. It actually worked fantastic last year for me. Im done using all of the ridiculously expensive "online order only" stuff such as Klasse, FK etc...

Anyone got some tips or are going to be doing the spring cleaning soon?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Unless I am cutting new paint I like to use foam pads. I also like 3M polishing compound. But what I really like to do before ANY machine work is to completely clay the car after a good wash. It's a lot of work but it cleans the paint so well!

Note: There are a LOT of good products out there. I don't find the really expensive ones do any better. Look at Griot's Garage. Lots of cleaning and detailing products. If you can find them anywhere else they will be cheaper. But he does have some stuff that is hard to find!!

http://tinyurl.com/y4f23f7

Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Bull, goto DETAILING SECTION look for any and all threads by Innovative Detail, Dave has many howtos on this!!! He is da' mann!!!

Last edited by joycesjag; 04-14-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

What a difference a year makes..... I just got done paying someone to detail the interior this year...Just don't have the time with taking care of the baby on weekends and in the evening. It was real cheap and the "kid" did a decent job. So, I will be doing the exterior myself.

Bull, the random orbital buffer won't "burn" the paint. That comes from a standard polisher being left on the same spot for too long. That said, if you are trying to cut some serious grime or other damage it will take you just as long to rub it by hand as it will take with the buffer since it doesn't "cut" as good as a standard polisher. I do have a buffer myself. I use it to polish, or take off the wax. I apply polish or wax by hand. I find it the best time to find all the "bad" spots and try to work them out. As with another poster, I too plan on claying my car this year since this winter was really rough on the car.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Bull, goto DETAILING SECTION look for any and all threads by Innovative Detail, Dave has many howtos on this!!! He is da' mann!!!
I did, and he most certainly is. I was just wondering what my fellow SType bretheren had planned for their vehicles.

I'm gonna give it a shot today, and see how much easier it is with a machine. Applying and buffing off 3 different products by hand is more than a PITA, and I am hoping that using a machine will help so I can actually do it more frequently.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I just did mine and it took about three hours.

Routine was:

1. Wash car
2. Vacuum interior
3. Wax car using Meguir's and three pads.
4. Wax wood
5. Clean the upholstery
6. Windows

Note: no beer was consumed during this but after...will admit to some glasses of wine. Purely for medicinal purposes as my back acted up.

Mike

Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Mike, all that in 3 hours??????????????????????????????????? Krist thats how long it takes me to wash the exterior, well almost anyways! I am going to have a beer just because I feel your pain!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

It had better be an imported...or at least a good micro brew. If it's a Bud Light I recommend you be banned for at least a week.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
If it's a Bud Light I recommend you be banned for at least a week.

We own a Jag.... I am forced into drinking Busch Lights

Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd feel bad for you - except I'm a diabetic and all I get is Diet Pepsi. Haven't had a beer in 10 years.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I'd feel bad for you - except I'm a diabetic and all I get is Diet Pepsi. Haven't had a beer in 10 years.

from a "redneck" to a "hillbilly" that own Jaguars.... O'Douls sir
I still get a good chuckle out of your jag story

Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

We own a Jag.... I am forced into drinking Busch Lights
I would appear that you mis-calculated when you bought the Jag. The Man Formula on buying a car is deciding how much of a payment he can swing before having to switch to domestic beer. Note: this for US customers.

Mike

Last edited by carelm; 04-18-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: tense
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I also washed, waxed, and vacuumed the S-Type yesterday. Probably spent a little over two hours on it. That Meguiar's Gold Class Paste Wax really goes on and comes off fast. But I readily admit, I'm no detailer. In my youth I would spend all day on the cars. But no more - don't have the patience (or the back) for it any longer....

After the S-Type was done, I washed the RX330. No wax, though. I guess my Ram felt left out. It sat and watched, but it got no attention from me. Maybe this afternoon....

Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Jeff: Your right that orbital buffer is nothing to worry about, it would never burn anything, and I dont even have to worry about it near the trim.

Mike: 3 hours??? Wow, you either have lightning fast arms/hands or are skimping on something! JK, but seriously it does take me about 2-3 hrs just for what I like to call my Eco-Wash which consists of a regular wash-dry/wipe down with detailing spray and the rims/tires. If Im fast I may be able to get the windows and vaccuming included in that 3 hrs. Red or White?

OldEngineer: I'm deeply sorry to hear that.

Rick: +1

The orbital buffer was terrible in trying to buff the rubbing compound off but worked VERY well with polish and wax using either microfiber or wool pads, 2-3 pads per application. Highly recommended for a light application such as wax OR people with a bad back (JON).

Too bad after 6 hrs (just for exterior), the heavens decided to give me the gift of 3 days of rain even though there was nothing in the forecast. I just CANNOT win.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
Jeff: Your right that orbital buffer is nothing to worry about, it would never burn anything, and I dont even have to worry about it near the trim.

Mike: 3 hours??? Wow, you either have lightning fast arms/hands or are skimping on something! JK, but seriously it does take me about 2-3 hrs just for what I like to call my Eco-Wash which consists of a regular wash-dry/wipe down with detailing spray and the rims/tires. If Im fast I may be able to get the windows and vaccuming included in that 3 hrs. Red or White?

OldEngineer: I'm deeply sorry to hear that.

Rick: +1

The orbital buffer was terrible in trying to buff the rubbing compound off but worked VERY well with polish and wax using either microfiber or wool pads, 2-3 pads per application. Highly recommended for a light application such as wax OR people with a bad back (JON).

Too bad after 6 hrs (just for exterior), the heavens decided to give me the gift of 3 days of rain even though there was nothing in the forecast. I just CANNOT win.
Bull27,

I'm lazy. I used a random orbital buffer for the wax. I use Meguir's and it goes on real nice. I use three steps: the applicator pad, a terry-cloth wax remover and a lambs wool finisher.

Mike

Old 04-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm

I'm lazy.
I'll drink to that

Old 04-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

I'll drink to that
I'll have what she's having. It is English so it would be fitting (in all the right places).

Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

damn.....nice, I'll take a swig off those jugs... I mean jug

Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from a "redneck" to a "hillbilly" that own Jaguars.... O'Douls sir
I still get a good chuckle out of your jag story
Yeah - Wife and I still laugh about it too. Of course things are kind of sad here with the recent mine disaster.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Coming from a coal mining family, I fully understand.

Quick Reply: Spring Cleaning!!!!