S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun Blower bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
The thing I always ask about interesting "solutions" like this is why don't we see this on race cars? We have had AC systems on race cars recently to keep drivers from frying so if they can do that why hasn't it shown up on race cars? Drag cars don't count.

Or why haven't this appeared on street cars like some of the big supercharged or turbocharged Mercedes? Those models aren't very worried about complexity or fuel mileage but if this works so well then where is it?
You do see it on race cars of a certain type. As avos mentioned due to they way they work its intended for short cycle times. In drag cars ice tanks and chilled water cooling is common. We used it as the only cooling on the 1600hp 4cyl dragster I was crew chief on. It keept a 90mm turbo running 60psi into a 2.0liter motor nice and cool for the short time we needed it.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Avos, in the morning or when engine is cool, I can light the wheels up at will all the way down the road. She pulls like a Brahma bull...30 minutes later there's a noticeable drop in power. On cool temp. the fun goes on a little longer...Need a "Chiller Killer".
It might help for a short shot but like liquid intercoolers you need to have that reservoir effect to build up capacity in between bursts.

If you want to really get on it out where you drive like that say in Nevada then all this stuff is useless except for air-to air intercoolers and even with those the entire system eventually heat soaks in warmer weather and output drops dramatically.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

As I already mentioned drag cars don't count. Those indeed are perfectly suited for such a system.

Recently either the ALMS or Rolex Prototype series required an AC conditioned cockpit. They weren't using the AC on those cars to cool the charge. So if it's such a great system why not?

Avos explained that himself.

The laws of thermodynamics dictate it.

Originally Posted by qikcat
You do see it on race cars of a certain type. As avos mentioned due to they way they work its intended for short cycle times. In drag cars ice tanks and chilled water cooling is common. We used it as the only cooling on the 1600hp 4cyl dragster I was crew chief on. It keept a 90mm turbo running 60psi into a 2.0liter motor nice and cool for the short time we needed it.