Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeeky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Squeeky brakes

My brakes squeek and it drives me nuts! I had my front pads changed about a month ago and for a while it seemed to stop. Last weekend it started again and I hate it! Any suggestions???

Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeeky brakes

S-type or STR

Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

2004' S-Type 4.2

Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uptown girl, I think mostly all jaguar cars brakes squeak.when mine started squeeling i put new rotors and pads all around and the noise did go away for a couple of days but then it came back i think you just got to get used to it,I've had my car for 3yrs and dosen't bother me anymore lol.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM

I have/had the same problem. My Jag Tech told me to go out on the highway, and go through a few hard braking sessions.

He used a bus analogy that went something like this. "... the reason you hear brakes squealing on bus... the brakes are designed for their best performance, and when you drive in normal traffic you rarely are required to use the brakes to their full potential. So brake dust builds up, and that what causes the squealing..."

Anyway, he suggested a few very hard braking sessions to remove all of the debris that had accumulated, and it seemed to have worked.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you know what brand of pad they used? Brakes should not make noise.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: v8stype

uptown girl, I think mostly all jaguar cars brakes squeak.when mine started squeeling i put new rotors and pads all around and the noise did go away for a couple of days but then it came back i think you just got to get used to it,I've had my car for 3yrs and dosen't bother me anymore lol.
Your kidding me. .... It drives me insane. I cannot imagine getting use to that. Why do they do that? I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: ken@britishparts.com

Do you know what brand of pad they used? Brakes should not make noise.
No, but I can probably find out. Any suggestions for in the future?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My brakes squeak as well on my 2001 s-type 4.0 I am looking into CQUENCE brakes on ebay. They include 6 brake pads and 4 cross-drilled rotors for REAL cheap.The "squeak" drives me crazy as well. But most of the time I have have my windows up in the summer with the A/C on and in the winter I will keep the windows upand turn the heat on. Plus I listen tomy music very loud andyou can barely hear them squeak.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

We've had complaints from the Mintex brands. I have the OEM pads for $106.70 and ceramic for $109.21. It's one of those, go with a known brand and you will be safe. Lot's of shops like to go with the less expensive and up their margin. You can't blame them really, but don't buy into this "all Jaguar brakes do that." It's just not true.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: ken@britishparts.com

We've had complaints from the Mintex brands. I have the OEM pads for $106.70 and ceramic for $109.21. It's one of those, go with a known brand and you will be safe. Lot's of shops like to go with the less expensive and up their margin. You can't blame them really, but don't buy into this "all Jaguar brakes do that." It's just not true.
God I hope not! When it is time for the rear brakes I'm going to change the rotors and I will change the front pads again... Hopefully to something that won't squeek on me. It's embarrassing to have a Jaguar that goes Eeeeeee when you pull up to the light.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uptown Girl

God I hope not! When it is time for the rear brakes I'm going to change the rotors and I will change the front pads again... Hopefully to something that won't squeek on me. It's embarrassing to have a Jaguar that goes Eeeeeee when you pull up to the light.
Been there!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM

I could understand a little noise from STR brakes, mine make a bit of squeak right before i come to a complete stop but that expected from high performance pads and rotors. I would not think your 4.2L brakes would do that. dust build up in between the rotor and pad is def. a possibility, however a better possibility is that you had new pads installed and im guessing they didnt turn the rotors. this causes a mis match because the old pads had made groves or seats in those rotors and the new pads are not contacting them right causing a really light shuttering thats not felt but makes a squeaking noise. JMO

Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: styper526

I could understand a little noise from STR brakes, mine make a bit of squeak right before i come to a complete stop but that expected from high performance pads and rotors. I would not think your 4.2L brakes would do that. dust build up in between the rotor and pad is def. a possibility, however a better possibility is that you had new pads installed and im guessing they didnt turn the rotors. this causes a mis match because the old pads had made groves or seats in those rotors and the new pads are not contacting them right causing a really light shuttering thats not felt but makes a squeaking noise. JMO
I'm not sure myself. I just remember someone in the forum telling me to be careful when resurfacing the rotors because they don't have a lot of meat on them to begin with. So I did tell that to the guy who did them because I was worried that might happen... but maybe they didn't do anything with them like you said. [&o]

Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

I guess for now I'm stuck with them squeeking but if anyone including Ken [sm=smiley2.gif]can tell me what brand I should stick to in the future to avoid this problem- that would be great.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM

I had new rotors and new pads installed. Once the squealing began, I went back, and they upgraded the pads to ceramic ones... this didn't solve the problem.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Ditto, mine also but not to bad the harder I press the softer the squeeklets start a squeek forum[sm=boosign.gif]

Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Ihave from theTire Rack,the Frozen Rotors and the Akebono Pro-Act ceramic pads. Never had any brake squeak yet. Ken@Britishparts is 100% correct. Brakesdo notsqueak, something wrong.
Regards

Quick Reply: Squeeky brakes