S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Problems s-type -00

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Steering Problems s-type -00

I supect what you are hearingmay bethe lower ball joint(s) that have become dry. Chances are it is only one that is groaning and creaking when you turn the steering wheel.
Ifsothey are part of the upright although you can obtain the joint itself, a full rebuilt upright is now available fairly cheaply from various sources. One of mine creaked even though there was no wear or movement when tested.

I thought that the squeaking power steering issue did not occur with the earlier cars? The fact that you say it also happens over bumps I would guess it is not that.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude I had those aftermarket ball joints installed - to save money- and let me tell ya.....

BAD MOVE.

Those things garner the old say you get what you pay for. [ul][*]The nuts came loose on both sides - mechanic had to drill and install cotter pins to keep from backing out.[*]They make a disturbing noise when i brake from a slow speed, say 30-35mph.[*]They "creak" when turn the wheel from a slow speed...like pulling out of parking spot.[*]When I go over some road imperfection, again slow speed, the make a noise, like a slight bang, as if the bushing are shot.[/ul]So, I would recommend, if needing new lower ball joints, don't dick around by trying to save money, go and get the whole assembly.
You'll probably never have to do it again anyway.

P.S. I hate my car

~Ciao

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had two Jaguar bagged ball joints with the Jag part numberfitted by my local garage as at the time the full leg cost an arm and a leg! The full leg is now much more realistically priced (last timeI looked)and as they only take about 20 minutes to swap out itinvolves less labour timethan removing the legs and then pressing out and replacing the ball joints.
Should you fit these joints they came with grease nipples unlike the original ones fitted. Not an easy job though, find someone that has already done it! Sold my car recently and they were fine after about3 years. Jaguar do say that you are not supposed to replace the ball joint itself! Many places do it though.

No idea if a new upright comes with grease nipples on itsball joint. I would recommend the full upright unless you know someone that has done the job and the price is right!
If your squeak is not the same as mine was though.......

Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

If you talking about a squeeking noise in the column, its the gator in the firewall where the sttering shaft goes through. Theres a TSB on it, but basically if youloosen and spray lube real well and retighten youll useallly stop it. Its from the seal beaing dry and it creates sqeeking as you turn the wheel.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brutal, is that what makes the "quacking" sound every now and then? Sometimes there is a noise inside the car, coming from the dash, that sound like I have a duck stowawayed in there.

As far as the creaking, banging type of noise (coming from outside the car) ....a 'lil lube of the ball joints take care of that?

If so, I need to get a grease gun. Or, I could just use my .40 cal and just put it out of it's misery.

P.S. I hate my car

~Ciao