S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering shake - 19" Summer wheels, Help / Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Sad thing is..... The LT1 would probably take it fine.......
Of course it would... I agree with the silicone spray and elbow grease approach if you really MUST detail an engine. Dare I even say a bit of armor all on a sponge on the plastics. I don't think in todays world of electronically controlled everything a garden hose is the best idea. See a pressure washer - unless it physically moves something with the pressure thus causing a problem that way, actually sprays less water than a garden hose...

I wonder your opinion what you guys think of those steam gun things that have become all the rage.

George

Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I've heard that the steam cleaners are a big no no...But I don't have the references to back that up. I don't think I would do it to any car unless it was to strip certain parts during a rebuild. The pressure washer vs garden hose is an ongoing debate. I don't use a pressure washer vs the garden hose because despite less water it is under a lot more pressure..So much so, that it could force water past the seals on various connectors...Not good... Garden hose on the other hand, doesn't mess with the seals but will allow water to run into a poorly sealed area, hence why I will now stop using it on the Jag.....The van is another story....Gunk and the hose all the way!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Oh, and DON'T USE Armour-All on any plastics at all. It is a silicone based treatment that contains petroleum distillates and will actually dry out plastics in the long run..Use this stuff instead... http://www.303products.com/

Or any other product that does not contain petroleum distillates.....I think Lexol makes a product as well, but I haven't used it...

Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I've heard that the steam cleaners are a big no no...But I don't have the references to back that up. I don't think I would do it to any car unless it was to strip certain parts during a rebuild. The pressure washer vs garden hose is an ongoing debate. I don't use a pressure washer vs the garden hose because despite less water it is under a lot more pressure..So much so, that it could force water past the seals on various connectors...Not good... Garden hose on the other hand, doesn't mess with the seals but will allow water to run into a poorly sealed area, hence why I will now stop using it on the Jag.....The van is another story....Gunk and the hose all the way!
My race car gets the gunk and pressure washer treatment. Followed by a healthy dose of armor all. It's a small block Chevy, with a carb on it. The only wires besides the ignition box and plug wires are for the coolant temp sensor, and the alternator - which is the only thing on the accessory drive besides the water pump... I'd have NO hesitation steaming that motor either. Funny thing is it started life fuel injected, egr, evap etc...

I've ripped out the power steering, heat + a/c, wipers etc... Sometimes you have to admire it's simplicity. (Although it does get 6 mpg trying to drive it as normally as you can on the street).

George