S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Auto Adjust Acting Up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Auto Adjust Acting Up!

Well, I've noticed that when I have the wheel set lower then I usually do (like on a long road trip) when I get back and turn off the car, the wheel automatically moves up and out of the way to give more room to get out of the car (like it should) BUT, after a few times, it stops returning to the original position when I start the car again. Each time, it moves less and less until it is at the highest level. It's like each time it moves, it forgets a little bit of where it used to be and eventually ends up back at the top (where it doesn't have to move up). When I press memory recall for my seats, it will go back to where I want it, but again, eventually ends up at the top setting again. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? All the adjustments work fine, so the motor and controls seem to be fine, it's just like it's having a memory issue or something? Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

We've had a couple of vehicles over the years that gradually lost their ability to retain pre-set seat memory, but in both cases it was with vehicles that we kept in the family for more than 10 years so like gradually-declining human memory, I just attributed it to old age. Both vehicles were obviously long out of warranty and had very high mileage so in my opinion this was a very minor inconvenience that wasn't worth the cost of fixing although I never made a serious effort to determine what the cost would have been....

Although I never believed that the fuses could be responsible for this since they either work or don't work, I swapped them out on one of these vehicles (a 1989 Acura Legend) just to see if anything would change. No difference. I remember wondering if it could be the circuit boards getting dusty or brittle, or even the motors gradually wearing out and somehow losing their range of motion when operating in the memory mode. But I never pursued the issue any further than swapping fuses because I could still move the seat all the way back using the regular seat switch (not the memory switch) whenever I needed to drive the car after my wife had been driving it. She never complained about the memory function gradually diminishing and we eventually passed that car on to our daughter. She was just happy to have an upgrade from her old Honda CRX so she never mentioned the memory function issue. May not have even know that it was there....

Perhaps some of the Jaguar techs can clear up this matter. Unfortunately, they haven't been around the forum in awhile....

Last edited by Jon89; 05-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, the thing is, I haven't actually lost the memory function. Whenever I use the memory settings, they go right to where I set them, every time. This only seems to happen with the auto raise wheel function when the wheel is set low and the door is opened or the key removed. I know this is to make it easier to get out of the car, and it is supposed to return to the original location after the key is inserted and car started, but this is where it messes up. It doesn't go back to the original location. It does try to, but every time it does, it moves less and less, until it is fully at the top setting. I can adjust again, move it around, etc and it works. Pushing the memory button brings it back to where I want it, and when I get out of the car, it moves up again like it should, but again, it just gradually starts to creep higher and higher until it is at the top setting again. It's just confusing. It's like it has a memory issue with the setting only when the auto raise function is used for getting out of the car.