Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel electronic tilt maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default steering wheel electronic tilt maintenance

2001 Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6

Hi guys. Still waiting for some parts to continue with the repair of the car.

But in the meantime I'm starting the car every day to maintain the battery and oil circulating, and to check new sings of other things wrong.

Since I put the battery in the car I have notice loud noices each time I open the ignition switch and the seat and steering wheel starts to adjust automatically to the saved position.

Does any of you have videos or a manual (preferably with graphics) on how to do a maintenance on all of this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by e_brugal; 02-26-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:46 AM
Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

This may help regarding the seat, but it looks like it does involve taking the seat out:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...noperative.pdf

I can not find anything about the steering wheel adjustment maintanance, only diagnosis when it stops working with the memory.

One tip is to never work the seat all the way to the end stops as this can cause it to jam.

Mellow

Old 02-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by e_brugal
I have notice loud noises each time I open the ignition switch and the seat and steering wheel starts to adjust automatically to the saved position.
Can't offer any specifics on how to lubricate the adjuster mechanisms, other than to stick your nose in there and figure out what pieces are moving. In the meantime, you can disable the movement, until you have more time to investigate:

For the steering column, there's a small switch on the left side. Rotate the switch from Auto to Off and it should stay put.

For the seat, drive it all the way back and then save this position with the little memory buttons just aft of the window switches on the driver's door. When you remove the key, the seat automatically drives fully aft for easier access. If the seat is already all the way back, it won't move.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w
This may help regarding the seat, but it looks like it does involve taking the seat out:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...noperative.pdf

I can not find anything about the steering wheel adjustment maintanance, only diagnosis when it stops working with the memory.

One tip is to never work the seat all the way to the end stops as this can cause it to jam.

Mellow
Thanks!!!

I will check the PDF file. For the seat all the way back don't worry, I'm 5' 8" so I won't need the seat that far away lol

Originally Posted by kr98664
Can't offer any specifics on how to lubricate the adjuster mechanisms, other than to stick your nose in there and figure out what pieces are moving. In the meantime, you can disable the movement, until you have more time to investigate:

For the steering column, there's a small switch on the left side. Rotate the switch from Auto to Off and it should stay put.

For the seat, drive it all the way back and then save this position with the little memory buttons just aft of the window switches on the driver's door. When you remove the key, the seat automatically drives fully aft for easier access. If the seat is already all the way back, it won't move.
Thanks, I did already that. But want to fix it. Really want to have this car as it was when my dad droved it. I know it will take time, but I know is something that he would liked if he was still alive