Stiegemeier Snake Bite kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interestign stuff I didn't know Stegmeier was in the Jag business too. Wnenn

Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

The faster spinning blower is not a cause for check engine lights, regardless of who provides the tools to make it spin faster.

@qwiketz
What you describe is typical for a vacuum leak, which causes the checkengine light. Make sure you fix it soon. Then go to a dyno ;-)

Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

He may not be anymore after my experience with him and the results.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Thanks Brutal. I understand completely what you're saying. I wish I had taken time to
get base dyno and base track data prior to doing the blower mod, but was not
possible after the coolant hose gave up. Never anticipated that. Hindsight is 20/20.
Thanks for the advice. I'll pay attention. Avos is suggesting I first get some sensor
records, so I have to wait till I can get my Innovative Motorsports OT-2. Hopefully
around the 15th and then I'll do some data logging.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by qwiketz
I have the snakebite on my car. I haven't really thought about doing an ecu tune recently due to what Avos has said in the past about heat being the limiting factor with these motors. I think that with this mod, you probably would have to use alcohol injection to keep timing from being pulled. Surely a higher afr woud help the horsepower but the heat generated is probably killing you just as much.

Your dyno of 318 hp seems pretty low considering this upgrade is supposed to give us 3 more lbs of boost to approx 16psi.

I saw that you mentioned that you have a check engine light on after the swap. By chance have you come up with a code on that yet? I have a check engine light on after the swap for "both banks lean", but i am thinking it's a vaccum leak somewhere in the intake tract. The light come on and restricted performance comes on when I'm at super low throttle or decellerating.
Speaking of boost, I understand from Avos that stock boost is about 11.5 and Stiege
says his Snake Bite gear changes up the boost by 50%, which would be 17.5 psi, but
taking out the Stiege exaggeration factor, the result may be 15 psi, which should be
a reasonable increase.

I stated that after seeing the check engine light, I used my code checker and there
are NO codes, 0, zip, zilch, so I must assume the ECU simply recognized the change
with the blower gearing and hopefully will re-set after a few miles. I'll find out today
cuz I'm driving about 200 miles and will report back.

I'm convinced that the 318 HP is a freak due to several errors on our parts during the
Dyno pull. 1) We tried to run up to redline, 2) I used a Dyna Pak dyno in which you
remove the rear wheels and attach the two wheel units to the rear hubs and unlike
a dynojet, it spins the rear wheels in the air, which I'm thinking may have been seen
by the ECU as wheel spinning. I'll be going to a Dyno Jet shop next for another test
pull

Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I understood stock boost to be 13 lbs. with a "Snake Bite" re-gear producing approx. 3lbs.= 16 lbs. total boost?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
check engine lights, poor service and unconfirmed results. I am not liking what i am reading. Perhaps the eurotoys route is a better one?
meh, check engine light is more like from air leak and common when everything is off for this type repair. Also no codes may just meen you have a jag specific code and not obd2 generic 1.
If you in business long enough, your gonna **** in someones weaties and not everyone can be happy. You know im not the most pleasant on certain days and theres probobly a few out there that dont like the way i repsonded to them either. Not excuses, but reality, you cant be on your game 100% 24/7.
And on results, we the public are just as much to blame with non seen words like "up to!" "as much as" etc if i were to give someone a "range" of power increase, they would see as i often do also the "high" number. And "upto" a 50% increase is under "ideal" conditions. If you read an article by ken bell ive posted before you can see that underhood heat,heatsoak, etc rob every boosted car of boost and alot...again it gets down to knowing what you start with and end with. On my truck i started with 10psi and with the heat of summer have a hard time pushing 7psi, and really need to go back to the factory in the fender air intake or some modifyed version thereof

Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
ttwotees, you'll probably see a gain of 50+ hp when you compliment the "Snake Bite" with a free flowing exhaust and an ECU tune.
I have to respectfully take issue with this bro, and this is one of the reasons I've always been VERY wary of old Steggy and his porting services. The claims on his website are outlandish. He gives a HP+ "estimate" on every service without as much of a mention of supporting modifications. That being the case, these mods MUST stand alone, and a port itself isn't guaranteeing you much of anything ... the superior snakebite port hasn't done much more thus far in ttwotees case either.

I want to see results of Steggy's ports as STAND ALONE mods with his claimed HP improvements or else I call hogwosh. I'm still not convinced he's prepared to offer STR owners expert advice anyhow considering some of his comments to ttwotees.

As for porting services as of right now Ed Martinez would likely be my first choice. But then again, porting in and of itself isn't my first choice to begin with.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Chris, I wasn't encouraging ttwotees to recognize the "Snake Bite" was "the way to go" to achieve 50+ hp, I was just cueing him in to performing an exhaust mod to compliment the blower port/polish/re-gear as a means to moving closer to achieving a goal. Stiegeymier claims their "Snake Bite" kit will achieve 70+ hp with an exhaust and ECU dyno tune. I bet he'll be happy to realize a 50 hp gain.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I posted a thread on this subject (my build up). My service was fine, but I have a vaccum leak associated with the re-install.

I was happy with the service I got from Steig. It was as expected. If you guys read the m112 thread (i think on the xj area) there is a link to a website that has all the specs on the m112 and discusses the temp increases associated with the swap. Once again, alky injection is a must or another tool such as the killer chiller if you want good power out of the unit. I'm going with alky injection once I get my vaccum leak fixed.

Eurotoys as a alternative? I doubt that the pulley change and a port from them would ultimately rival the results and I don't think that the cost is as competitive if you add in the crank pulley setup. In addition, you may end up getting more belt slip which will offset any potential increases. Many guys with a pulley swap aren't seeing the greatest results from what I've seen on the forums. Some aren't even seeing more boost than they should stock (not that I've confirmed on my car that I'm getting more). I basically did the snakebite as a cost effective means to get more blower speeed and a port while not having to screw with the removal and reinstallation of the crank pulley as I've heard it wasn't fun. I've already done that on two other cars and it is never fun.

I'll get dyno numbers with and without alky injection once things calm down and I get the vacuum leak fixed.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Belt slippage is more an issue when fitting a smaller blower pulley not crank since it reduces the belt contact area on the blower pulley. Then theres the issue of many belts not liking that sharp radius. Talking to magnuson super chargers and others. Most seem to agree that a 1.75-1.80" pulley is pushing it. I dont know what size mina, eurotoys, and others are off the top of my head for their upper pulleys. But just keep that in mind. A larger crank pulley is better choice than smaller blower pulley when you take out labor, and cost differances....
and kwiketz check for leaks at the blower hat to incooler ducts ontop of the engine. These slide in and outand are the number 1 source of lean codes when changed or moved. Many times you can move in/out, reposition and get them sealed properly. Just remember you really need a scanner to look at short term fuel trims to find a vacuum leak on todays cars. You only get a stumble with water,carb/brake cleaners etc with a large leak. Small ones youll virtually never hear, but you can see easily with short term fuel trim

Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
I have to respectfully take issue with this bro, and this is one of the reasons I've always been VERY wary of old Steggy and his porting services. The claims on his website are outlandish. He gives a HP+ "estimate" on every service without as much of a mention of supporting modifications. That being the case, these mods MUST stand alone, and a port itself isn't guaranteeing you much of anything ... the superior snakebite port hasn't done much more thus far in ttwotees case either.

I want to see results of Steggy's ports as STAND ALONE mods with his claimed HP improvements or else I call hogwosh. I'm still not convinced he's prepared to offer STR owners expert advice anyhow considering some of his comments to ttwotees.

As for porting services as of right now Ed Martinez would likely be my first choice. But then again, porting in and of itself isn't my first choice to begin with.
@ChrisSTR
You are 100% right looking back in hindsight. Stiege claimed to me that the port
would result in 35 RWHP and the Snakebite would add another 35 RWHP for a total
of 70 RWHP with no mention of any supporting modifications until after the work was
done, then he started talking spark plugs, exhaust and intake, etc. and yes, I would
be very pleased to see a 50 HP increase, but first as Avos says, one step at a time.
I'm going to aquire a Innovative Motorsports OT-2 sensor recorder/logger and run
some logs to see what we can find before any more mods and perhaps the check
engine light IS a vacuum leak, becasue it has not re-set so now to start looking
around. I expect when all is checked out, there will be a much better performance
increase, but who knew in advance of all these headaches. Such is life, but with
good friends and advice from the Jaguar Forum, the headaches can be short lived.

Here is the proof (I always offer proof)

From: dynobob@stiegemeier.com [mailto:dynobob@stiegemeier.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:07 PM
To: Truman Trekell
Subject: Re: 2004 Jaguar S type R

Good Afternoon,
Stage 5 Porting and pulley $695.00 35 RWHP
Snake Bite Series with OEM pulley size $1295.00 70 RWHP
Thank You
If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know.
Stiegemeier
636-949-2275

Try asking those questions after you've paid for the work. (NOT)

Last edited by ttwotees; 08-03-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
You only get a stumble with water,carb/brake cleaners etc with a large leak. Small ones youll virtually never hear, but"
Thanks - never knew that.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM

I posted a thread on this subject (my build up). My service was fine, but I have a vaccum leak associated with the re-install.

I was happy with the service I got from Steig. It was as expected. If you guys read the m112 thread (i think on the xj area) there is a link to a website that has all the specs on the m112 and discusses the temp increases associated with the swap. Once again, alky injection is a must or another tool such as the killer chiller if you want good power out of the unit. I'm going with alky injection once I get my vaccum leak fixed.

Eurotoys as a alternative? I doubt that the pulley change and a port from them would ultimately rival the results and I don't think that the cost is as competitive if you add in the crank pulley setup. In addition, you may end up getting more belt slip which will offset any potential increases. Many guys with a pulley swap aren't seeing the greatest results from what I've seen on the forums. Some aren't even seeing more boost than they should stock (not that I've confirmed on my car that I'm getting more). I basically did the snakebite as a cost effective means to get more blower speeed and a port while not having to screw with the removal and reinstallation of the crank pulley as I've heard it wasn't fun. I've already done that on two other cars and it is never fun.

I'll get dyno numbers with and without alky injection once things calm down and I get the vacuum leak fixed.
@Qwiketz

I'll be very interested in hearing about your alcohol injection. Any time soon ?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 PM

man, we'll see. I'm up to my eyeballs in people visiting from out of town and car projects, and travel. I'll try to get it done in the next month and a half, but no guarantees since I'll be out of town over 18 days in the next month and half. In addition, I'm trying to get the vette ready for a race Sept 11-12th. There's a 255 radial tire class that is currently running high 9's that I'd like to enter the car in.

Brutal, thanks for the input on the potential vacuum leak source. Now I just need to get access to a scan tool. Maybe I'll take it back to the shop that reinstalled the blower and see if they can mess with it.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
I understood stock boost to be 13 lbs. with a "Snake Bite" re-gear producing approx. 3lbs.= 16 lbs. total boost?
these are the figures that I understood as stock and what was quoted by the shop after the blower "upgrade".

Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

qwiketz, does the "Snake Bite" kit cause the blower to emit whine at idle and just off idle through the bottom of rpm range. In stock trim, I understand the blower to begin to whine late in the low end of rpm scale or early mid-range rpm's. What i'm getting at is; will the "Snake Bite" kit going to annoy me/us with persistant/excessive blower whine. I drive mostly highway where I wish to enjoy some peace.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-03-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM

the blower is louder at all rpm's. To me its bearable but it is definately a little louder. All in all it's still quieter than all the centrifugal blowers out there.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Default SB kit blower whine

Thanks qwiketz. A "little louder" doesn't sound too bad (no pun intended). It's probably best for me to "hear" the SB kit in person.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 AM

these are the figures that I understood as stock and what was quoted by the shop after the blower "upgrade".
@ Qwiketz & bsfgross

Statement from Stiegemeier. Snake Bite would increase boost 50%. Not maybe, or
up to, but flat 50% increase. The modified blower does make more noise. It's audible
at idle now and most anywhere in between.

Quick Reply: Stiegemeier Snake Bite kit