S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still havn't found a jag s type (been looking for 3 months now)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still havn't found a jag s type (been looking for 3 months now)

that's right, it's been 3 months, almost 4 .. and i still havn't found a good condition +good looking car

i've come across 2 that i was about to purchase, but the sellers wouldn't certify them so i had to opt out.

i check autotrader,craigslist,kijiji.com every single day and even autocatch.com

still nothing.

my brother is a mechanic and even at the auction he says they are rarely there, but about 5 months ago he said they were there everyday - what bull****.

i'm getting really pissed off. how are jags in winter?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

checkout ebay motors and www.texascarsdirect.com

Old 10-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

To say how Jags are in the winter, it'll help if we know where you winter. I can say that I don't have any problem in Alabama but that may not help you much.

Have you checked eBay. They had about 75 last I checked. Many of them are from dealers that offer an extened warranty.

Have you looked at www.jaguar.com? Usually there are several per dealer.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,216 Posts

CSN, don't be in such a rush. I know of several guys here on the forum that have done extensive researh on these S Types and had spent a few monthes finding the correct one. My wife and I "started" our search 10 monthes ago, we did not find the "right vehicle" until this past Feb.

I know of a beautiful '05 platinum (silver) with the Ivory interior (just detailed to purrrfu*tion) located here in SC and chromed out through Mina, just turned 50K today. Mechanically purrrrfuct as well (all the typical issues resolved). How BIG is your checkbook?

Last edited by joycesjag; 10-10-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 135 Posts

In my case it took about 4 months or so before I was able to find the Jaguar I wanted. I did a fair amount of research so I was able to find pretty much what I wanted. Half the fun is the pursuit though.

As far as being good in the winter my S-Type has been pretty good so far. The DSC works pretty good and is better than my FWD Ford Taurus in the snow and ice.

Mike

Old 10-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,216 Posts

BTW ours handles G R E A T in the winter......Oh did I mention its a southern car, NO salt baby.....

Old 10-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Im from canada, toronto so the winter here is pretty harsh.

I don't trust eBay, how am i suppose to know if the car has been Certified and emission tested?
i don't think the us use those 2 terms...

Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 PM

BTW my money range is $6000-$8,500 but nothing above $8.5k
looking for 2000-2003

and dont tell me i can't find one for that price, ive come across many 2002/2001 with under 120,000 KM for 7,500 CAD

Last edited by CarSmartNot; 10-11-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CarSmartNot
that's right, it's been 3 months, almost 4 .. and i still havn't found a good condition +good looking car

i've come across 2 that i was about to purchase, but the sellers wouldn't certify them so i had to opt out.

i check autotrader,craigslist,kijiji.com every single day and even autocatch.com

still nothing.

my brother is a mechanic and even at the auction he says they are rarely there, but about 5 months ago he said they were there everyday - what bull****.

i'm getting really pissed off. how are jags in winter?

BE PATIENT! lol it took me about 3 Months or more to find mine and I had to go half way across the country just about to get it....

This kinda has to go along with quality not quantity!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't discount E-Bay. A friend of mine has bought a 1st gen Eclipse Turbo AWD and a Mercedes E Class diesel off of e-bay and got GREAT deals. Just check out the seller's feedback then talk to them. If they aren't willing to work with you, walk away. Here are a couple:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item3ef8a4fab6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item439aad81e8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Low-m...item518d502e00

This one is real rare!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item335663659e

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-JA...item33566b4b7c

Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Don't discount E-Bay. A friend of mine has bought a 1st gen Eclipse Turbo AWD and a Mercedes E Class diesel off of e-bay and got GREAT deals. Just check out the seller's feedback then talk to them. If they aren't willing to work with you, walk away. Here are a couple:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item3ef8a4fab6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item439aad81e8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Low-m...item518d502e00

This one is real rare!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item335663659e

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-JA...item33566b4b7c

how am i suppose to know if its certified and emission tested? how do i know if it was in a crash, etc.. and its odometer is gonna be in MILES instead of KM but i dont mind that

i just need it to be certified+e-tested.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

You might have helped yourself if you'd originally put up a better post, stating where you're located (especially as it's not USA) and your criteria.

Most on here are from USA so won't have a lot of knowledge of the emissions testing regime in Canada or elsewhere. Many will not even know you may wish to use km.

I think you can choose km instead of miles using a button. Why don't you find out? The handbook is freely available or you could look at any of the ones in the cars you've seen.

Why not also research whether cars from the USA are OK if permanently imported into where you live? (Hint: this forum is unlikely to be the best place to ask!)

Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

how am i suppose to know if its certified and emission tested? how do i know if it was in a crash, etc.. and its odometer is gonna be in MILES instead of KM but i dont mind that

i just need it to be certified+e-tested.
By certified I guess you mean safety inspected. I would assume a reputable seller will provide you with a car fax. A good vehicle would obviously pass a safety inspection. The only alteration that would need to be done is a trip to the dealer to have DRL turned on. Jaguars are made for North America therefore a USA vehicle would also conform to Canadian laws. The instrument cluster can be switched between US and Metric. I know a great many people bring cars back and forth across the border. My point is at the $$ amount your are looking to spend it is going to take a lot of work. To put as plainly as possible... A real clean S, with no issues, from 2000 is basically selling for around 10 grand so hitting your price point is going to be tough.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
You might have helped yourself if you'd originally put up a better post, stating where you're located (especially as it's not USA) and your criteria.

Most on here are from USA so won't have a lot of knowledge of the emissions testing regime in Canada or elsewhere. Many will not even know you may wish to use km.

I think you can choose km instead of miles using a button. Why don't you find out? The handbook is freely available or you could look at any of the ones in the cars you've seen.

Why not also research whether cars from the USA are OK if permanently imported into where you live? (Hint: this forum is unlikely to be the best place to ask!)
Yes it is OK to permanently import cars to Canada.
There is alot of prep with paper work to be completed upon arrival of the car.

I have had friends and family do it many times.Especially collector cars.

I moved to Texas from Canada 10 years ago and brought our cars down here with some frustration but very do able with time and patience.

Also just to mention I find southern Jags to be better priced especially here in Texas. I sold my 01 Stype 3.0 in mint condition for $7500.00 including transfering the extended warranty to a private buyer about 8 months ago.I also bought my 06 STR for much cheaper here than what I was seeing priced up north.

You will have to get it certified and e-tested even if it has been done down here prior to your purchase(other States and Provinces won't recognize these unless done in the cars new location)but if it has been done before purchase it should give you piece of mind if nothing else.

There is a fellow on here Searanch??? I think.. from Vancouver who has bought a couple of Jags in Texas maybe you should pm him and get some details. He and I have used Texas cars direct and found them to be very good with great prices and fine quality cars. They will ship to Canada at your expense.

hope this helps. I would do it in a heatbeat if I still lived in Canada.Especially now with the Canadian dollar very close to par with the US buck.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 PM

By certified I guess you mean safety inspected. I would assume a reputable seller will provide you with a car fax. A good vehicle would obviously pass a safety inspection. The only alteration that would need to be done is a trip to the dealer to have DRL turned on. Jaguars are made for North America therefore a USA vehicle would also conform to Canadian laws. The instrument cluster can be switched between US and Metric. I know a great many people bring cars back and forth across the border. My point is at the $$ amount your are looking to spend it is going to take a lot of work. To put as plainly as possible... A real clean S, with no issues, from 2000 is basically selling for around 10 grand so hitting your price point is going to be tough.
Actually thats where your sorta wrong.

I was extremely close to purchasing a 2000 s type 3.0 with only 90,000 KM on it.. basically only 45,000 milage
for only $7,500 CAD

Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Actually thats where your sorta wrong.

I was extremely close to purchasing a 2000 s type 3.0 with only 90,000 KM on it.. basically only 45,000 milage
for only $7,500 CAD
So, why didn't you... I just checked autotrader.ca and there are quite a few for under 9 grand, so it should be real easy... Anything I looked at here in the US that is worth looking at is around 10. So should be easy...

Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Veteran member

So, why didn't you... I just checked autotrader.ca and there are quite a few for under 9 grand, so it should be real easy... Anything I looked at here in the US that is worth looking at is around 10. So should be easy...
And yes.... I'm being a smart *ss...... I remember that car had issues according to your brother... Like others have said... be prepared for the total cost of ownership.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 PM

And yes.... I'm being a smart *ss...... I remember that car had issues according to your brother... Like others have said... be prepared for the total cost of ownership.
I already know about all those cars on autotrader.ca

most of them have too much KM or are not certified and e tested.

Colors I want: black or white or grey (fav color)

Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts

Listen to Jeff when he tells you to be prepared for the total cost of ownership. Too many kids don't take this into consideration - they just want what they want without regard to how much it is going to cost them to operate and maintain the car....

Old 10-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

Wise words indeed

Quick Reply: Still havn't found a jag s type (been looking for 3 months now)