S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still havn't found a jag s type (been looking for 3 months now)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon89
Listen to Jeff when he tells you to be prepared for the total cost of ownership. Too many kids don't take this into consideration - they just want what they want without regard to how much it is going to cost them to operate and maintain the car....
what do you mean? in case something goes wrong or something bad happens?

or do you mean insurance+gas?
i am prepared for insurance cost and gas cost.

i'm going to take very good care of my car, and if something goes wrong my brother can help me as he's a licensed mechanic..

im just worried if something BIG goes wrong.. then im out 8grand

Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CarSmartNot
what do you mean? in case something goes wrong or something bad happens?

or do you mean insurance+gas?
i am prepared for insurance cost and gas cost.

i'm going to take very good care of my car, and if something goes wrong my brother can help me as he's a licensed mechanic..

im just worried if something BIG goes wrong.. then im out 8grand
I'll go back to one of my first posts on this and explain. I'll use my situation as an example... I needed a 4 door car. I had a budget of 20 grand for it. So, I had my choice of many cars, from a new Kia to countless late model used. I decided to narrow my choices by looking for a rear drive car. That limited my choices... Then I stumbled on my Jag. It fit the bill from a budget standpoint. I got it certified, which was another requirement for a used car. I also understood that there would be a compromise with this car. Complicated electronics, expensive maintenance parts, and rapid deprecation as the mileage climbed. I accepted these trade offs for the opportunity to spend my commute in wood and leather. So, when brakes for my base model S were 3 times as expensive than they were for my past Honda's I didn't get on the forum and call my car an "over priced POS". When it doesn't hold an alignment for more than 6 months, I didn't throw a fit either. These are the total cost of ownership issues I talk about. At any price point there are choices and compromise. At your price point, you are taking a great many risks picking up a Jag, any model. It would be like buying a Vette for 10 grand here. You can find them, but be prepared to dump money into it! Hence my point that any early S that I would consider is selling for about 10 grand here in the US. Yea, there are cheaper, but I would include money for major engine and trans work if I bought it. So, think hard. Be prepared for the unexpected if you chose to purchase at the bottom of the range. I hope this makes the point clear.... Also, don't buy it if you are looking to get it as a status symbol..That too is a way to set yourself up for failure and disappointment.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JOsworth just outta curiosity have you taken microeconomics? you sure sound like my prof lol

Old 10-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessy
JOsworth just outta curiosity have you taken microeconomics? you sure sound like my prof lol
Yikes! I've turned into my Dad!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts

Nothing wrong with turning into your dad. A little fiscal responsibility goes a long, long way when one is attempting to make a prudent decision when purchasing a car. Particularly when one says he is only 18 years old....

Old 10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

CSN -

I reiterate what has been said. Don't rush this one. You usually don't find good deals with Jags, they find you. Continue to save your pennies and try and get a 2003 or better. Some may disagree here, but I have heard that 2000-2002s are loaded with problems. I avoided them for that reason.

From my experience, I got my deal in the winter. I bought mine in Feb 2009 with 52,500 miles on it for 10k. I had been searching for over a year an S-type before I saw this deal. The same car was advertised in Oct of 2007 for around $15,000.

Take your time. When you least expect it, you will find an 2003 or better S-type 9k or less.