S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

str boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default str boost gauge?

i have an 2003 str and was wondering if anyone has or knows who makes a boost gauge, not some cheap looking thing but something that looks like it might have came factory?? like the ones that are on the a pillar... i dont want something that says autometer or something that loks rice,, a luxory look to complimint the interior and monitor boost

Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I've also been looking but haven't found anything to my liking. I have an 05 so I'm trying to find one that has the brushed trim ring and the white needles with the brushed caps. Pretty much impossible to find for a decent price. I did find one that was black face, brush trim ring but the dial was red. I'll post up if I find anything. Just look around there are plenty of black face guages that dont look rice at all just gotta look and see if you can find something to your liking.
You can start here.
eGauges.com - VDO, Auto Meter, Defi, Isspro, Cyberdyne and Classic Instruments Gauges

Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe this site will help as well since you can build your own:

Boost Gauge, Hot Rod Street Gauges Legacy Series by SpeedHut

Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eds123
Maybe this site will help as well since you can build your own:

Boost Gauge, Hot Rod Street Gauges Legacy Series by SpeedHut
Nice I can get them almost to where I want them with that. Good link. I may end up doing that when i get to it. The only thing thats not on there that I would want is the needle button to match the trim ring.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I own a couple of turbo cars. I understand the need for a gauge on those cars it's been most helpful over the years. But on a supercharged car like the the STR what are you going to do with this bit of information on a day to day basis?

Do any production supercharged vehicles come with a boost gauge? I've never even looked into that.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I own a couple of turbo cars. I understand the need for a gauge on those cars it's been most helpful over the years. But on a supercharged car like the the STR what are you going to do with this bit of information on a day to day basis?

Do any production supercharged vehicles come with a boost gauge? I've never even looked into that.
I'm going to look at the awesomeness its displaying for my eyes too see. LOL. Kidding. But my main purpose is because it looks cool not sure about the OP. I wanted a boost and AFR guage that look very close to the factory guage cluster so it would look almost stock. Then when I get a pulley I can also see how much actual boost its added and how much it affected AFR. Plus for future mods. Also it looks cool. LOL.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Oh ... got it.

Originally Posted by vance580
I'm going to look at the awesomeness its displaying for my eyes too see. LOL. Kidding. But my main purpose is because it looks cool not sure about the OP. I wanted a boost and AFR guage that look very close to the factory guage cluster so it would look almost stock. Then when I get a pulley I can also see how much actual boost its added and how much it affected AFR. Plus for future mods. Also it looks cool. LOL.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something less OEM, but certainly cool looking is to use a 7" android tablet with Torque or something

Old 04-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof

By that logic, no car should come with a voltmeter either. Tthe alternator almost always puts out "X" volts and the regulator is not usually adjustable. The idiot light should be adequate to let anyone know that the system has malfunctioned 50 miles out in the middle of nowhere

Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

And most do not. Everything is so computer controlled today that a volt or amp meter is nothing more than an anachronism.

On earlier cars gauges like this were crucial so that you could monitor the cars operation. I several vintage cars and on them gauge watching is important and you can learn a hell of a lot. On earlier turbo cars it was pretty damn helpful especially if you were into modifying the car. Earlier turbo cars often had issues with turbo lag and a lot of times we were doing things to eliminate that. Watching the gauge was pretty helpful. I added adjustable boost to one of mine and the gauge is great when I want to dial the performance down for wet, slippery weather. Traction control was a combination of your right foot and brain. The newer BMWs with turbos don't even have a boost gauge. Progress ...

On my race car I do have some gauges including an extra temp gauge that can be switched to monitor water & oil temps before and after the respective coolers but If I want really useful information I get it from the data logging equipment which I can upload to my tablet and then send that to my engine tuner. He's got the same 3D analysis software and with his experience we can discuss how the car did after a session. A bit of a pain to install but it was only $500 which is pretty amazing.

I also have a couple "idiot lights" on that car as well including a shift light and an over-temp alarm. Mostly, my eyes are on the track.

Aren't there some OBDII bluetooth devices out there that will send the all cars operating data to your Iphone or something?

That seems like it would be a lot more useful.

Originally Posted by plumsauce
By that logic, no car should come with a voltmeter either. Tthe alternator almost always puts out "X" volts and the regulator is not usually adjustable. The idiot light should be adequate to let anyone know that the system has malfunctioned 50 miles out in the middle of nowhere

Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

having a boost gauge is very handy actually, you can check for boost creep, and vacumm leaks with the guage.

I did notice a possible issue with my bypass valve when I hooked up a boost gauge(temporary install)

I noticed that Im getting weird boost spikes, from 9psi to 12 psi back to 9psi. I havent figured out if this is by design or my bypass valve sticking.

I think Im going to buy this and mount it inside my cluster on the lower left hand corner:

square boost pressure Gauge, velcro anywhere, size of a keychain remote. Digital boost pressure gauges in a square package will read boost pressure in PSI. Turbocharger boost gauges in a square package. - Square boost pressure gauge, velcro anywhere,

Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mafioso

mafioso, i thought boost should be 14.3 on these cars?? and whats up with the new intake run?? i need one of those!

Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

If you have the factory nav., you might want to consider the HKS CAMP 2 video gauges. See the link in my signature below.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
If you have the factory nav., you might want to consider the HKS CAMP 2 video gauges. See the link in my signature below.
But will it hook into the STR's nav? You know it uses D2B, which IIRC the 2001 XKR doesn't......

Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
But will it hook into the STR's nav? You know it uses D2B, which IIRC the 2001 XKR doesn't......
Yes, the STR nav. video is RGB, just like the XKR. If you want the audio (which is totally optional since it is just beeps and alarms) you can add a cheapo amp and speaker under the dash. No need to tap into the D2B.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

So you need some sort of RGB changeover box and a switch (or remote) somewhere to tell it when to switch from one source to another?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
So you need some sort of RGB changeover box and a switch (or remote) somewhere to tell it when to switch from one source to another?
Exactly. You will need to splice in a composite to RGB converter. In my write up I used a PAC VCI-X. I show how to add a switch to select between the factory source and two other sources.

I normally run with 5 guages: Boost, Intercooler fluid temp, Oil pressure, Water temp, and Voltage, although others can be selected.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-25-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carlorner
mafioso, i thought boost should be 14.3 on these cars?? and whats up with the new intake run?? i need one of those!
Only with a smaller pulley ;-)

Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Exactly. You will need to splice in a composite to RGB converter. In my write up I used a PAC VCI-X. I show how to add a switch to select between the factory source and two other sources.

I normally run with 5 guages: Boost, Intercooler fluid temp, Oil pressure, Water temp, and Voltage, although others can be selected.
Thanks. Roughly what would be the total cost? Dollars will be fine, I'm just after a ballpark figure.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

I was looking at the CAMP2 option, but its going to get crazy expensive with all the gauages I need,

I need boost gauge and 5 more water temp gauges

Quick Reply: str boost gauge?