S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

str boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Assuming you do your own install, and price shop a bit, probably just around $1000-$1100, which will get you the video interface, plus all the HKS CAMP 2 OBDII supported functions plus accessory Boost, Intercooler temp and oil pressure.

So it is not cheap. If you were thinking of combining it with a rear backup camera, or another video source input, then the cost/benefit equation becomes more compelling.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Thanks.
That may help someone but it's not for me - I'm only curious about the various values.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-25-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
I was looking at the CAMP2 option, but its going to get crazy expensive with all the gauages I need,

I need boost gauge and 5 more water temp gauges
Sounds like you need an honest to goodness data logger with a lot of channels.

The trouble with newer Japanese ones and PLX devices as well is that they require expensive sensors & meters. Their old R500 system didn't. I used that to tap into the Weber Marelli ECUs on my race car. Maybe you should keep looking around for some lesser know systems.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

well at this point, I think Im going to do gauges recessed into the center console so I can open the door and look at the gauge stack when I need to,

The AFX ( Stand alone wide band meter)
6 water temps (Bank 0 intercooler fluild temp in and temp out) (Bank 1 temp in and out) (Coolant tank temp in temp out.)

My problem is finding the gauges in the correct scale I need(0 degrees F min 212 F or greater max). and the size. 2" or less

I might see a bank of electrical gauges in my future.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I gotta ask then since I seem to be misunderstanding what you are trying to do.

I thought you were instrumenting the car for a development project?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

If I wanted to tweak/improve the car's performance I'd want to RECORD the sort of data Mafioso mentioned, then play it back when not driving. I would want limits to be monitored during the recording and a tell-tale (siren?) if any were exceeded. I don't think I'd want to be watching gauges so wouldn't fit any. I'd also record such things as speed and rpm.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

Yup. For me all those gauges would be impossible to look at while on the track but back at home in a big easy chair with an Ipad or something well OK!

When it's on the dyno you'll will want to see some things quickly too.

I have one particular temp gauge on my race car wired to three sensors via a rotary switch so that I can see check my basic water temp and the oil temp before/after the laminar oil-to-water cooler. Obviously I can't be watching that closely while I'm driving. It's just a development tool. The sensors were under $10 each too. You can't do that with HKS or PLX Devices. Way more money.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@WhiteXKR

Great job on your nav upgrades. Assume you lose touch screen and have to operate the Garmin via the remote?

For gauges, Ive been wondering about using this RGB video route to take the output from a cell phone or tablet running something like Torque or DashCommand.

I have an HDFury2 which converts HDMI to Component and RGB/VGA

HDFury2 HDMI to RGB/YUV Converter - AVToad.co.uk: Online Plasma & Projector Home Cinema, HiFi and Multiroom Sales

Whilst display of the gauges would be the primary goal, I guess that this would also enable playing of videos, navigation, etc.

Thoughts?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Sounds like you need an honest to goodness data logger with a lot of channels.

The trouble with newer Japanese ones and PLX devices as well is that they require expensive sensors & meters. Their old R500 system didn't. I used that to tap into the Weber Marelli ECUs on my race car. Maybe you should keep looking around for some lesser know systems.
Using a PLX kiwi Wifi (with iPhone) or PLX kiwi Bluetooth (with an Android device) and DashCommand app you can do this type of data logging. Might be the cheapest route.

Mafioso - you already have a PLX Kiwiw Wifi and DashCommand - have you tried the data logging functions?

Last edited by subvertbeats; 04-26-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

The PLX stuff isn't cheap if you want 5 or 6 gauges. But if it will log all of them simultaneously I don't know that another flexible logging system exists out there that would be cheaper even with the expense of the PLX sensors. If he has to have the actual meters as well then it's going to get expensive.

Might be worth looking around though.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You could always keep an eye out on race junk for a race pack data logger. A lot of guys are always upgrading or parting out systems for a deal. I have seen many of the old ones for $500 and the sensors for temp and boost are rather cheap.

I know the one we use will monitor 72 channels and is a great tuner tool when you overlay maps like boost, af and drive shaft speed sensors all on one map. It's all we need for Pro level drag cars so should work fine on a street car.

The following 2 users liked this post by qikcat:
Mafioso (04-26-2011), Staatsof (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

There you go. Sounds like a great idea. I think I'll keep an eye out as well. I need to replace that POS PLX R500 I have. Thanks

Originally Posted by qikcat
You could always keep an eye out on race junk for a race pack data logger. A lot of guys are always upgrading or parting out systems for a deal. I have seen many of the old ones for $500 and the sensors for temp and boost are rather cheap.

I know the one we use will monitor 72 channels and is a great tuner tool when you overlay maps like boost, af and drive shaft speed sensors all on one map. It's all we need for Pro level drag cars so should work fine on a street car.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by qikcat

Excellent idea

Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM

The nice thing is you don't need gauges all over the place that are hard to hide and read in real time as well. You can hide the brain under the dash and either download the data or run a laptop in the car when your tuning or checking out a new setup, dyno, track ect...

We run a switch on the car so after the warmup and burnout we can flip it and log just the run. Hide the brain and a switch in the glove box and you have awsome data logging in a hidden package.

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds good. I'm in England so have you any makes / device names I should look out for over here please?

Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Sounds good. I'm in England so have you any makes / device names I should look out for over here please?
I have used racepak and know it works. I have also used pectell, aem, motec but they are all standalone ecu based.

I know a lot of guys that use the pcs and like it. That would be another good one. I don't know if they have all the shock sensors and stuff like the others but we don't need that on a street car so it is a non issue. I know Paradise racing has a new pcs sportsman system for sale now for $1200 with the touch screen, CAN spliter 3axis speed sensor, three pressure sensors and two fluid sensors to give you an idea on there prices new. I have seen the sportsmen for a few hundred bucks used and the pros for 500 or so.

Edelbrock also makes one but never had any feed back on it. I not up on European systems but I will ask around as to what's out there for those over the pond.

I said I was going mild with this car, even told the wife I would not hot rod it to much Like the others.You guys get me thinking. Now I am thinking about a standalone ecu LOL.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM

So you guys need additional physical sensors vs just reading the sensors that the ECU reports?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by subvertbeats
So you guys need additional physical sensors vs just reading the sensors that the ECU reports?
Yes, that's the idea when you're developing something you want to know what effect it's having at various stages in the system. Once you're done no. But race cars are always under development. That's why these logging systems have so many channels.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by subvertbeats
There are many things the ECU dosn't monitor or will not keep a log of for your veiwing. If you are working to improving the cooling effect of the intercool you want to know the temps of the coolant before and after the heat exchanger and possaibly at the core as well. You also want to log this information so you can compare it to speed, TPS, boost etc... To see how your new cooling modifacations are working across the board at cruise, full boost, sustained boost ect... Then also knowing how that's affecting your timing, Af ratios ect..

A stock car would have no need for this. The factory took care of all that for you and devised the ecu to keep it Safe and in check. When you doing performance work, Racing, developing new parts ect... Information is power and true tuning is information based. Otherwise your just guessing, assuming and worse of all shooting in the dark.

Btw forgive the choped style of these post and some spelling errors I have been posting form my phone while out of town.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM

Cool, thanks for the explanation guys.