S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Flat Hood Badge Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phd12volt
i took the "R" badges off my fenders, but left the rear one. Im on the fence if i should put them back on or not. I kinda like it without the side badges. concerning the leaper, i like it where it is at. If it gets jacked, then i will not replace it. It will get a badge like the OP did. But until then, leaper it is
I am in the same boat - I love the leaper. But, if it were ever to be stolen, the badge would have to go in its place. As for the "R" badges, I've taken my trunk badge off and kept the fender ones in place. I really like the look of the clean rear end without the "R" and "S-Type" badges. However, I am tempted to replace the "R" fender badges with Ecurie Ecosse shields as those are quite good looking in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Haha, Jon how's this for impulse/frivolous/purely cosmetic spending. Awaiting these in the mail:
Name:  r.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  6.6 KB

Bought 3 of those to replace the current R badges, 30GBP plus shipping

Name:  leaper.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  5.3 KB

And one of those to replace the SType badge for approx 32GBP. Hey well at least I will have a leaper on the Jag somewhere...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

They look great.
I hope all you guys keep modding your STR's and selling off your original factory stuff.
That makes the 1500-2000 R's in original condition even lower in numbers.
You should keep all your factory emblems and leapers so you can go back to stock in the future if you want to get the most return for a used STR .
Just my opinion,but one of these in OEM condition will demand a higher value than a modded one. Most of the buyers down the road will look for pristine factory condition.
This is talking many years down the road so many of you probably don't care.
Modding is fun and brings indiviuality to your car(I have done much of it in the past)
But it is a double hit. You pay for the parts to mod the car and then you pay again in the devalue of the car on resale. Unless you get that one buyer who loves what you did and is willing to pay for it.
Most guys probably aren't thinking this way or really don't care because they are enjoying the car in the now and not thinking about resale value.
Let the beating begin..lol

Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont care about resale, cause I will run mine into the ground and bring it back to life haha....
I keep most OEM stuff, but some stuff is not worth keeping around....

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i agree. the mnodding does devalue the vehicle. Unless it is a typical upgrade that actually increases the value. I would say taking the factory premium radio out, and replacing with a double din unit with nav, would be a valuable upgrade. Especially if it incorporates BT and IPOD...especially on the 03 like mine. Where as replacing the factory amp with aftermarket amps and changing everything else would not be valuable to someone else. For me it isnt a big deal, but someone who doesnt know about that stuff would not find it valuable. if that makes any sense.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,855 Posts

Resale value is always important to me because I know at some point we will be selling the vehicle regardless of how much I like it. So that's one reason why I don't spend money on pure cosmetics. But it's mostly because the economics hard-wired into my brain just won't allow me to open my wallet for frivolous purchases....

Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
They look great.
I hope all you guys keep modding your STR's and selling off your original factory stuff.
That makes the 1500-2000 R's in original condition even lower in numbers.
You should keep all your factory emblems and leapers so you can go back to stock in the future if you want to get the most return for a used STR .
Just my opinion,but one of these in OEM condition will demand a higher value than a modded one. Most of the buyers down the road will look for pristine factory condition.
This is talking many years down the road so many of you probably don't care.
Modding is fun and brings indiviuality to your car(I have done much of it in the past)
But it is a double hit. You pay for the parts to mod the car and then you pay again in the devalue of the car on resale. Unless you get that one buyer who loves what you did and is willing to pay for it.
Most guys probably aren't thinking this way or really don't care because they are enjoying the car in the now and not thinking about resale value.
Let the beating begin..lol
I would not consider it necessarliy "modding". Examples of what i consider modding that would bring resale down are 1) aftermarket rims, 2) performance upgrades etc. Everything I put on my vehicle is OEM, I highly doubt that having the newer version of the "R" logo will reduce my resale value. If anything it would increase due to the fact that the old badges start to peel and such and are certainly eye sores.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
I would not consider it necessarliy "modding". Examples of what i consider modding that would bring resale down are 1) aftermarket rims, 2) performance upgrades etc. Everything I put on my vehicle is OEM, I highly doubt that having the newer version of the "R" logo will reduce my resale value. If anything it would increase due to the fact that the old badges start to peel and such and are certainly eye sores.
You are correct if you sell to a non purist.
If you keep it long enough where it becomes slightly collectable the purists will know every change and look for 100% correctness.
even a replaced leaper(especially aftermarket)will be noticable and Jag has documention of every original part on the car.
Now this is only if you try to sell saying it is all OEM and you get a crazy purist that will know, or if you are trying to get premium value for a car that is not pristine.
We owners of STR's need to watch for all the guys trying to make fake STR's and eventually flogg them as STR's(just like 69 Z28's)and if you can't get your STR original in could be mistaken as a fake. I know the VIN will confirm but some real cheats even get a doctored VIN.
Now making an S into a fake STR will work on body modds but unless the guy is crazy enough to drop in the Supercharged motor fake STR's will be easy to expose unless the buyer knows nothing about the car and therefore gets what he deserves.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
You are correct if you sell to a non purist.
If you keep it long enough where it becomes slightly collectable the purists will know every change and look for 100% correctness.
even a replaced leaper(especially aftermarket)will be noticable and Jag has documention of every original part on the car.
Now this is only if you try to sell saying it is all OEM and you get a crazy purist that will know, or if you are trying to get premium value for a car that is not pristine.
We owners of STR's need to watch for all the guys trying to make fake STR's and eventually flogg them as STR's(just like 69 Z28's)and if you can't get your STR original in could be mistaken as a fake. I know the VIN will confirm but some real cheats even get a doctored VIN.
Now making an S into a fake STR will work on body modds but unless the guy is crazy enough to drop in the Supercharged motor fake STR's will be easy to expose unless the buyer knows nothing about the car and therefore gets what he deserves.
I hear you on your points, however, if i run into a potential "purist" buyer such as described, I will probably tell him to beat it, and get the same money he would be offering from a non purist thats not a PITA.

Furthermore, I had no idea people were upgrading regular STypes and pawning them off as "R"s? Thats a shame and a crime. Seems as though it would be rather expensive and not very lucrative to one of these deadbeats seeing as Jag parts, new and used, are very expensive and hard to find (especially "R" parts). Not to mention the R motor, components and supercharger must cost a fortune. Thats if you can even find one.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does this work for 04 xjr as well?

Old 04-19-2015, 01:11 AM
Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Does anyone know if the hood badge comes without saying supercharged. Mine is not SC and I like how it looks.