Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR gas mileage snap shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default STR gas mileage snap shot

Two days ago I did a 75 mile round trip to meet a friend for lunch. I filled up with gas and reset the computer. It was in the low 30's F outside and I'm using a 10% ethanol mix here in NJ. About 10 miles of that was on local roads with half a dozen stop lights and then I'm on route 80 for most of the trip.

Naturally the gas gauge reads close to 1/2. Such precision instrumentation on this car ... BTW, when I filled the tank it read very close to empty certainly under 1/8. It took 11.1 gallons to fill it. Maybe Jaguar gallons are different?

I didn't dawdle in the center lane all that much but I also wasn't having a ton of fun either. Just a cruise at 65-75mph but certainly not the most efficient drive as with cruise control turned on.

So when I get back it says 19.1 mpg as an average. It's really hard to achieve anything in the 20's with this car except on open roads with no traffic.

Then I drive 3 miles locally round trip to pick up my wife and the average drops to 18.1 mpg. The instant readouts during this short drive are 9-11 mpg.

For an STR does this sound normal?

Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I am thinking that since your gas guage is off its throwing off the trip computer. You arent far off from what I get. I average between 16-18 around town with little getting on it. With your ghage being off, I wouldnt rely on the mpg computer. Try figuring it out manually and see what you get.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that the colder it gets the lower my MPG, up to 2 MPG lower than what I normally expect. Ex: my Winter commute is averaging 18.5 MPG and my Fall commute was right around 19.8.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

MPG is accurate. I get 9-11 around town.

Originally Posted by vance580
I am thinking that since your gas guage is off its throwing off the trip computer. You arent far off from what I get. I average between 16-18 around town with little getting on it. With your ghage being off, I wouldnt rely on the mpg computer. Try figuring it out manually and see what you get.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes your petrol mpg will be worse when cold, but the situation is not as bad as the diesels; those petrol engines warm up faster.
On the other hand, in the real world of brim-brim vs. miles covered, don't expect a light fuel consumption from a car weighing almost two tonsUK and powered by a 400horse motor. Yes, 400horse under your foot feels almost sexual, but you're gonna have to pay for it!
Leedsman, with 2.7D S-type.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Granted mine isn't an STR but I've found my avg to be pretty accurate--I have a combination interstate/in-town commute in generally wretched traffic so lots of stop-n-go even on the interstate.
Name:  avefuel.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  71.1 KB

What makes me laugh is watching this one go all over the place --WTH is inst fuel anyway?
Name:  instfuel.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Supposedly, it's an estimate of your current MPG at that second, rather than an overall average. Coast down hill on a highway and it'll say 99, but floor it and you can watch your MPG go as low as 2!

In my car, I've noticed on a full tank that the first 1/4 seems to drop much quicker than the rest. And even when I'm on empty (to the point where it says my range is 0) I've never filled up with more than 15 gal.

The following users liked this post:
GoKittyGo (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

There is a few gallon reserve that's not shown on the gauge or calculated in the miles to empty.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Yes your petrol mpg will be worse when cold, but the situation is not as bad as the diesels; those petrol engines warm up faster.
On the other hand, in the real world of brim-brim vs. miles covered, don't expect a light fuel consumption from a car weighing almost two tonsUK and powered by a 400horse motor. Yes, 400horse under your foot feels almost sexual, but you're gonna have to pay for it!
Leedsman, with 2.7D S-type.
This is probably why we arent far off cause you're in a much colder climate then I am. So mileage sounds about right.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Yes me too. This has been covered a bunch of times on here. But the last couple of times even with the gauge issues the MPG calculations have been dead on compared to my hand calculations.

We seem to get the same percentage of ethanol here summer vs winter and now that it's 10% all year long (has been since before I bough the car) perhaps this is normal mileage?

That's what I'm asking about. If my mpg numbers are accurate (I believe they are) is this what everyone else is getting?

And please only STRs.

Thanks guys.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by phaelax
Supposedly, it's an estimate of your current MPG at that second, rather than an overall average. Coast down hill on a highway and it'll say 99, but floor it and you can watch your MPG go as low as 2!

In my car, I've noticed on a full tank that the first 1/4 seems to drop much quicker than the rest. And even when I'm on empty (to the point where it says my range is 0) I've never filled up with more than 15 gal.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

FWIW, on a recent business trip to CA, a couple of pretty sharp engineers I was visiting told me they lost 20% when they took out MTBE or whatever their latest bright-idea regulation is.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
That's what I'm asking about. If my mpg numbers are accurate (I believe they are) is this what everyone else is getting?

And please only STRs.

Thanks guys.

Bob S.

Your numbers look really close to my STR. Numerous times I have wanted to see how high of an avg I could get on a tank of gas, but haven't made it yet. That right foot pedal is just way to tempting to stomp on and the avg plummets quickly then!.

When I had the loaner '10 Supercharged 5.0 XF for 1.5 months it was avg from 17 to 22 mpg and I was running it hard. Holy cow that car was fast.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

That must be tough. Going from 470hp back to a measly 390?

Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

inst = instantaneous i.e. over a very short time

not meant to be useful
but can be amusing / interesting

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

MY 05 STR also did badly on the MPG.
i average around 18 MPG with mix driving.
and when my tank is empty (on the gauge) then fill up only to around 13 gallons instead of 18 gallons which is the size of the tank. (so i do get rip off)

but STR is fun to drive..

Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
and when my tank is empty (on the gauge) then fill up only to around 13 gallons instead of 18 gallons which is the size of the tank. (so i do get rip off)

...Blame it on the Ethanol for inaccurate readings on the gauge.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quixotic mysteries?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975

My 19.1 was logged mostly during what SHOULD have been efficient driving. Oh well it would seem that it's a very hard car to drive frugaly. My Turbo cars are easier in that respect. The trouble is I never want to be frugal when I drive those.

What's the point of that? It's like having a gorgeous girlfriend and deciding you won't have sex with her because ????

Oh that's right, gas is heading north of $4 a gallon here in the USA. If only our num-nuts of a POTUS had pulled a Noriega capture on Gaddafy perhaps this mess would be no where near as awful as it is? Just parking a carrier out there would help. But I digress ...

I wonder if there was a way to disengage the supercharger would it then run more frugally without a map change?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
My 19.1 was logged mostly during what SHOULD have been efficient driving. Oh well it would seem that it's a very hard car to drive frugaly. My Turbo cars are easier in that respect. The trouble is I never want to be frugal when I drive those.

What's the point of that? It's like having a gorgeous girlfriend and deciding you won't have sex with her because ????

Oh that's right, gas is heading north of $4 a gallon here in the USA. If only our num-nuts of a POTUS had pulled a Noriega capture on Gaddafy perhaps this mess would be no where near as awful as it is? Just parking a carrier out there would help. But I digress ...

I wonder if there was a way to disengage the supercharger would it then run more frugally without a map change?
The little 2.3 liter Mercedes "Kompressor" Motors do this. They had a clutch on the S/C pulley similar to what most cars use on the A/C pulley. They would lockup the pulley based on a bunch of factors, such as the TPS, engine RPM etc.

A lot of the guys that wanted more power out of them, would hardwire the clutch to permanent lock.

I don't know or think that this is a viable idea on the STR... But just food for thought.

Take care,

George

Old 02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I get 24 MAX on the highway, windows up, no A/C, and TRYING to feather the gas. Normal highway driving is around 22MPG. I dont even want to talk about "city" driving.....terrible.

I have read on here people getting 26ish, I dont know how that is possible whatsoever.

Ill take that kind of gas mileage on a 8cyl supercharged vehicle ANY DAY.

Quick Reply: STR gas mileage snap shot