S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Intake Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default STR Intake Elbow

Ok, the holidays are about over and its time to start modding my baby. Does anyone know who is making the elbows today? I have seen the threads but they seem to be out-dated. I would like to find one that is polished or ceramic coated.

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

For what? It runs fine with the factory setup. Keep the money in your pocket.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

The intake elbows have been shown to increase by 10 whp.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I believe caldoofy is still producing them: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-83960/page6/

Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
The intake elbows have been shown to increase by 10 whp.
Yep, I already ordered a Mina Gallery Intake Kit.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
I believe caldoofy is still producing them: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-83960/page6/

Sweet, thanks, I see the latest thread entry is from a few days ago.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Also, I think I am going to leave the air induction system that has the little scoop mounted above the radiator. Seem to me it will deliver cold air to the new Mina intake and heat shield.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Mina Intake. But the Elbow from Caldoofy is a good one.

I suggest to remove the solenoid driven flap from the stock airbox.

I didn't know it at the time, but it turns out the solenoid in mine was stuffed, and with the flap in place it wouldn't open.

A quick back to back test on the dyno showed a 12.5rwhp loss by putting the flap back in. OK if the solenoid in yours is working, it won't make that much difference.

Have a look here:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...25/#post870950

The following users liked this post:
GT42R (12-31-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

The mina CAI sucks IMO. It doesn't seal at all so it will suck in hot air from the motor.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Personally I wouldn't bother with the Mina Intake. But the Elbow from Caldoofy is a good one.

I suggest to remove the solenoid driven flap from the stock airbox.

I didn't know it at the time, but it turns out the solenoid in mine was stuffed, and with the flap in place it wouldn't open.

A quick back to back test on the dyno showed a 12.5rwhp loss by putting the flap back in. OK if the solenoid in yours is working, it won't make that much difference.

Have a look here:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...25/#post870950

Woah, I had no idea removing the baffle made that much difference. I took mine out a few weeks ago, noticed a little better performance. I have been gone a lot and not driven it too much, but it seems have picked up power on the low end. I went with the Mina for looks also. I am going to show the car later this year.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

One of the things on our to-do list is fabricate a duct that runs from the opening of the airbox where the flap was, to down under the bumper. Not sure how it is under the bonnet of the STR, but in the XJR there is an opening in metal where we could run this duct.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
ONEsicJAG (12-29-2013), rasputin (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM

The mina CAI sucks IMO. It doesn't seal at all so it will suck in hot air from the motor.

I read about that, seems to me people are on both sides of what happens. That's also why I am going to leave the induction system that delivers air to the bottom of the stock intake.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
One of the things on our to-do list is fabricate a duct that runs from the opening of the airbox where the flap was, to down under the bumper. Not sure how it is under the bonnet of the STR, but in the XJR there is an opening in metal where we could run this duct.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea. I will go with my plan and see what happens. If the Mina is a problem Plan-B is to see if I can get air induction from underneath.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by triad_ajr
I read about that, seems to me people are on both sides of what happens. That's also why I am going to leave the induction system that delivers air to the bottom of the stock intake.
The issue is the top and side of the "box". Even with plumbing of cold air, it will still suck the air in. I tried to seal it the best I could with weatherstripping, but my next step will be to weld some more sheet metal to actually make it like a box as most aftermarket shops do. I'll take pics tomorrow and show you.

rasputin (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM

The issue is the top and side of the "box". Even with plumbing of cold air, it will still suck the air in. I tried to seal it the best I could with weatherstripping, but my next step will be to weld some more sheet metal to actually make it like a box as most aftermarket shops do. I'll take pics tomorrow and show you.

Wow, thanks, the info is appreciated!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I would definitely ditch the mina intake unless you find a way to completely seal it off, otherwise it sucks a bunch of hot air in. I would consider it a track only mod, but still have yet to understand if the larger filter overcomes the smaller intake tube. However, definitely get an intake elbow, cheap, easy, and works quite well while using the stock intake box. I like cambo's idea on creating some sort of ram air intake, and was going to work on that sometime this year...

Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I also recommend Caldoofys intake elbow. I bought it about a month ago and am very happy with the results. The first and most noticeable difference is the supercharge whine, it is much stronger and can now be heard much sooner in the rpm range then before. You still get a quiet cabin under normal acceleration which is what i was going for. The 10 HP increase is also a plus, not very noticeable to be honest but still there non the less. Perhaps the best part about the Cadoofy elbow is that it comes with the oil breather hose opening built into it, no need to cut it and reroute it etc like you would with other elbows. Cost is very reasonable and it comes with everything you need to install it.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ingo
I also recommend Caldoofys intake elbow. I bought it about a month ago and am very happy with the results. The first and most noticeable difference is the supercharge whine, it is much stronger and can now be heard much sooner in the rpm range then before. You still get a quiet cabin under normal acceleration which is what i was going for. The 10 HP increase is also a plus, not very noticeable to be honest but still there non the less. Perhaps the best part about the Cadoofy elbow is that it comes with the oil breather hose opening built into it, no need to cut it and reroute it etc like you would with other elbows. Cost is very reasonable and it comes with everything you need to install it.
Hey Ingo,
Happy New Year. Thanks for the info. I contacted him and will order in the next couple days. We will have to compare at the next meet up. I will try out the Mina intake and see how it goes. At the worst I will use the stock filter box day to day and install the Mina for shows.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by rasputin
I would definitely ditch the mina intake unless you find a way to completely seal it off, otherwise it sucks a bunch of hot air in. I would consider it a track only mod, but still have yet to understand if the larger filter overcomes the smaller intake tube. However, definitely get an intake elbow, cheap, easy, and works quite well while using the stock intake box. I like cambo's idea on creating some sort of ram air intake, and was going to work on that sometime this year...

Sounds like a few of us have a new project for 2014. There has to be a way to ram air from underneath.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Here are the pics. I tried to seal it off as best I could but it still isn't completely sealed off from the engine compartment. Also, the MAF tube that you get is smaller than stock. I hacked up my factory one to work with it.

Attached Thumbnails STR Intake Elbow-img_20131231_122003.jpg   STR Intake Elbow-img_20131231_122011.jpg  
rasputin (01-01-2014)

Quick Reply: STR Intake Elbow