S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR OWNERS- Gauging interest

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine-Its 3" unrestricted, no baffels, no silencing (sp) to create turbulance, softer bend to create more of a laminar airflow. Made from 6061 T6 Aircraft Alum, to dissapaite heat faster, and help prevent heatsoak.

Stock- about 2.75" oval pressed from 2 pieces so the inside isnt very smooth at the joint, 5 chamber/baffles to cancel the blower whine frequency which also creates turbulant air. plastic doesnt have the best thermoconductive properties, so it heats up quick and cools quick sure plastic can be better but the 6061 T6 alum acts more of a barrier against our foe heat.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Im still datalogging so I will have more finite details for you guys soon.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

appears the PCM is adapting to the intake elbow, my MPG's are steadly going up.

Im getting MPG ave 20MPG by the trip computer on a commute that was giving me 17 before. its a 20 mile trip with alot of stoplights.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent Mafioso. Count me in.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome thanks for the support!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
plastic doesnt have the best thermoconductive properties, so it heats up quick and cools quick sure plastic can be better but the 6061 T6 alum acts more of a barrier against our foe heat.
I made some corrections to my questions

I'm not following your line of reasoning on this point.

So because the aluminum is a much better conductor of heat than the plastic it will shed the heat faster?

But it also will absorb the heat from the rest of the engine compartment more easily as well no? So at slow speeds like in congested traffic on a hot summer's day it's not going to be such a good idea . At least not in that configuration.

I thought you were going to eventually coat the inside with a ceramic coating ? Maybe ceramic on the outside isn't such a bad idea as well? Just asking ...

I'm not trying to critisize but I'm just confused about what the design theory is? Besides more HP of course! ;>)

A 3 mpg improvement? That one is maybe a premature figure? It's hard to believe Jaguar would have missed that sort of efficiency but of course the car is less refined sounding.

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-27-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Sitting in traffic is going to give you heatsoak no matter what you have. Unless you coat it with the same material that they put on the space shuttle. I can tell you that I am more interested in when I am on some curvy roads or at the track to have a performance gain. Who cares about performance in traffic?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

It's going to have a cummulative effect because that's basically what heat soak is. So it will take a while to cool it off again especially on hotdays. The idea is to prevent it in the first place.

I think (waiting for a clarification) he's planning on coating the inside with a ceramic coating and that the idea is that the heat from the rest of the engine compartment will be prevented from transfering from the tube to the air coming inside the tube and acting like a pre-heater? I would think that the outside of the tube will still be be getting heat soaked unless that's getting a ceramic coatin as well.

Anyway, I just want to hear what his operational theory is.

Bob S.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Thats an easy test, at lunch I'll shoot the intake with an IR gun to get ambient temps, let the car idle for 15 min, temp it then it off and re temp it.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 20,617 Likes on 8,302 Posts

Exhaust headers are ceramic coated, generally..both sides.. to keep the hot gasses inside the tubes and away from heat sensitive items like starters and such.
I imagine the reverse would also hold true, to keep the hot under hood temps away from the cooler intake air.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my take.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
So because the aluminum is a much better conductor of heat than the plastic it will shed the heat faster?
T6 6061 Alum, has vast differences in the retention/reflection of temprature vs plastic.

It has built in properties to help reflect radient heat instead of absorbing it. Which is what heat soak is.

But it also will absorb the heat from the rest of the engine compartment more easily as well no? So at slow speeds like in congested traffic on a hot summer's day it's not going to be such a good idea . At least not in that configuration.
Its radient heat not a directly sourced heat, yes the pipe would be worthless if you had a direct flame on it. to further test the reflective properties. At lunch I'll be doing a test. with an IR temp gun shoot it record temp. start the car let it idle for 15 min hood closed so it simulates "stuck in traffic" open the hood and temp it, give it a 15 cool down peroid hood closed and re temp.

[quote=Staatsof;261470]I thought you were going to eventually coat the inside with a ceramic coating ? Maybe ceramic on the outside isn't such a bad idea as well? Just asking ...[/qoute]

Yes that was in the orginal plans but the main factor is cost. Im still trying to source the best materials possible for this.

To date I have tried a ceramic coated mild steel, Stainless steel coated, and Alum 6061 T6.

[quote=Staatsof;261470]I'm not trying to critisize but I'm just confused about what the design theory is? Besides more HP of course! ;>) [/qoute]

A 3 mpg improvement? That one is maybe a premature figure? It's hard to believe Jaguar would have missed that sort of efficiency but of course the car is less refined sounding.
of course its premature figures, the PCM is barely adjusting to the pipe. It might go up might go down.

Jaguar didnt miss it. Its all a balance Im tipping the scales. for the orginal intended target Im certain they would be bothered by the whine.

Enthusiasts want the whine. by deleting the resonating chambers creating a slightly larger radius for the air to turn it keeps velocity then taking a right hand turn, I have effectivly created less work for the blower to do. now it doesnt have to expend more energy having to suck through a coffee stirer, vs sucking through a McDonalds straw. thus giving you back more power.

I hope this helps.
If I am incorrect please do correct me, as I only have a somewhat limited knowledge of fluid dynamics. (Im a private sport pilot so in ground school we learned ALL about air and flow)

My Primary background is Electrical Engineering and I do find Fluid dynamics interesting and have a great concept of the principles.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Exhaust headers are ceramic coated, generally..both sides.. to keep the hot gasses inside the tubes and away from heat sensitive items like starters and such.
I imagine the reverse would also hold true, to keep the hot under hood temps away from the cooler intake air.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my take.

that would be correct!!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

So boiling this down:

1: You;re trying to insullate this piece from engine compartment heat.

2: You're also seeing if a smooth pipe gets you any additional ponies?

Bob S.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and also, as a cool latent effect, increasing intake noise...which may or may not appeal to someone, but I love the sound of K&N filters sucking air

Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arghhh disregard that, I forgot that the stock airbox is preferable. I was for some reason thinking of that one photo I saw, with the visible cone filter.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Yes Bob, the goal is to cool the charge temp and make the blower more efficient. The noises it makes is an added bonus

Phil_Deeznuutz, you wouldn't believe the change in sound it has made.
A nonsense comparison every dimwit with a Beemer,350z,370z,MB wanted to get a piece now that the elbow is on they hear me start to get on it and back off.

Not to mention seat of the pants is a totally different animal. It's come to my attention it's just not a good idea to drive with traction control off anymore

Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Yes Bob, the goal is to cool the charge temp and make the blower more efficient. The noises it makes is an added bonus

Phil_Deeznuutz, you wouldn't believe the change in sound it has made.
A nonsense comparison every dimwit with a Beemer,350z,370z,MB wanted to get a piece now that the elbow is on they hear me start to get on it and back off.

Not to mention seat of the pants is a totally different animal. It's come to my attention it's just not a good idea to drive with traction control off anymore
lolz..why not a good idea to drive with TRaction ConTrol off?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Even though my tires are in great shape I break traction very easy haha and stain the roads with thick black marks

Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I seriously are thinking that people are over thinking this piece. Make a piece that flows better and I'll buy it as long as it makes hp. Scew the whole thermodynamic properties. Seriously, who cares. Add alky injection and it's not even an issue...

Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The goal in my mind is "stuff more air in motor"...and that's about as far as it goes.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Of course!! But a couple of members asked the reasoning behind what I did and why so I gave explanations.

Right now I'm still testing and looking at mass production options.

Quick Reply: STR OWNERS- Gauging interest