S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 09:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STR Purchase

Hey guys been lurking for a while and reading. I'm going to be upgrading my 02 TT 225 to either an STR or and E55. I know the E55 very well (w211 chassis) but not the STR. I run a euro car repair facility so I'm not overly concerned with cost of repair and over all reliability seems pretty good on these cars. I found one that has a pretty good service records but has 130k miles. Here's the carfax showing the service what do you guys think?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DEY_0&vin=SAJWA03V551N17165

Old 01-18-2021, 10:29 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

I can-not see the carfax report!!

51N17165 is an 05MY car.
This has advantages and disadvantages!

Firstly, the jaguar SDD software will work on this car, and you will need this for anything other than basic diagnosis. Even adding key fobs needs the jaguar software. (SDD only works on 05MY or newer cars for 04 or before cars you have to use IDS.)

All the fibre optic units are pre-activated on 05 MY and newer cars so adding things like the Bluetooth (phone only) and CD changer modules should be just plug and play. Before 04MY you needed to activate them using the hidden menu on the nav screen or using IDS if you have no nav screen. The exception is the voice control that needs to re-learn what is on the system using SDD.

Regarding the 130k miles, providing the servicing and in particular the oil changes have been done at least once a year there will be not engine issues.

But I would make sure the valley pipe and the auto-box service has been done. (The NGK spark plugs last 100K miles but other makes do not!)

The disadvantage for you in the US is that you may find that there were not that many 05 facelift cars sold so second-hand parts may be a bit hard to find.

You will find the complete official Jaguar parts catalogue on-line as well as the factory workshop manual and the factory electrical guide. (Wiring diagrams.) and every service bulletin as well!

Official Jaguar parts catalogue: https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Factory workshop manual: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...M-Workshop.pdf

Factory electrical guide: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...cal-2005on.pdf

Factory service bulletins: JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Mellow

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Yea it shows very regular maintenance. I'm familiar with the cooling pipe under the supercharger we do a lot of them on range rovers here at my shop. I took screen shots from the car fax. It looks like maintenance was very regular im more concerned with the mileage. I'd rather have a car with more miles and solid service history but I figured you guys probably know these cars better than I do. I'm leaning more towards the jag over the benz just because of initial cost. I'm seeing STRs under $10k and the E55 is gonna run me double for a really clean one plus the STR is WAY more unique.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default STR Purchase

Parted with my '05 a few months ago with a little over 100k on it. As Forums notes attest, may parts are relatively easy to come by due to FORD parts crossover. In my case, usual suspension parts front and rear needed age-related replacement. Simple for you, I'm sure, and readily available. Hoses, expansion tank, dual climate valve, definitely should be inspected and/or replaced. ZF tranny requires power flush at 80k+ miles, so might see if that's been done. Headliner once again confirmed Brit's poor adhesives longevity so needed some attention. Overall a solid car and a real joy to drive. Power handling, and Jaguar luxury for a pittance. Unique retro styling still attracts a lot of attention. I was fortunate to have a very ding-free body with only a very minor bit of rust at one door bottom to attend to. Miss it's wonderful power but my very low miles, trouble-free XF keeps me entertained and free to bust my knuckles on my E type resto.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 582 Likes on 435 Posts

I think you answered the question yourself by saying repairs are done by yourself with all necessary tools and knowledge at your disposal. I have had my 06 str for almost 4 years and it was very comparable to what you are looking at. I am a retired heavy duty truck mechanic with skills and tools and i have done all of my own work as i have become a pretty good tech for my car. Mine is 99% or better i would say and i think doing your own work if capable saves thousands. All told i have spent maybe 2500 dollars in parts and that includes tires. I have no regrets in my purchase of my car. The str also has room for power increases from bolt on to a custom tune that are readily available. More pricey items are a twin screw charger and exhaust mods. The only thing it lacks is an lsd. That maybe possible also but out of my price range or need. Luckily my exterior and interior are great. That is where i would fall short in skill for body and major interior work. I say go for it and you will be pleasently surprised

Old 01-19-2021, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna go ahead and arrange a pre-purchase on the car I'm looking at. I've been wanting one of these for about 10 years better late than never.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

I love my car which is at 2006 STR and yes I do all my own work as well but I think the biggest challenge is the cooling hose under the supercharger and vacuum leaks from old Orings and gaskets. Vacuum leaks can be challenging to find but since you work in the shop working on these kind of cars you know exactly what I’m talking about.

it’s kind of strange that the first service report comes at 40,000 miles. and then after that they seemed pretty well maintained on a regular cycle.

the only other thing I’m concerned about is why they had to replace the coolant overflow tank so many times. I’m wondering if that coupled with the thermostat replacement and the water pump if they were chasing a cooling issue but that’s the only thing I could really see that stuck out in my mind

Old 01-22-2021, 12:02 PM

Yea that had me scratching my head as well. I decided to hold off on that one and keep my eyes open for a lower mileage vehicle. I know what I want and now it's just a waiting game.

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (01-22-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Loved my old 2005 STR and put over 100K on it as my daily driver. Many cars have surpassed it now but a very nice package all the way around!!
Yes it REALLY needed a LSD too.

Just a note on the multiple coolant overflow tanks? As posted above the only way to own this car it to do all the work yourself. Well that upper tank has a very fragile plastic nipple that is in just the perfect place to get cracked when you lean over the engine to do repairs. I replaced mine then had to do the hose under the SC (Hardest repair I ever did on that car!) and of course cracked the brand new one too. So it might have been caused by the mechanic doing what I did.

I too was either getting a E55 or the STR years ago. I am sure you know but for performance the E55 it way ahead and it does have a stronger aftermarket parts upgrade path too. I also found the STR much cheaper for what you got. Never regretted getting it and it was a reliable car with only minor problems. Nearly all of them cooling hose related.