Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR serpentine belt change

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default STR serpentine belt change

Hi All,

The purring STR has developed a chirp!!! tracked it down to the serpentine belt that runs on the alternator......i guess that there is just this one and then the charger belt?? You can only just see it so i am guessing it will be a nightmare to change, but anyone here done one on an STR?? dreading the cost from a dealer!!!

Thanks chaps,

Damo.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

When my 2005 STR had a chirp the Jaguar dealer had a TSB on it. It required replacing the tensioner and several pulleys as well as the belt. Mine would only chirp or squeak on start up and would quiet right down after a few minutes. I have posted the part numbers of everything that was replaced. Do a search and you can find more information.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Nooooooooooooo, don't tell me that!!!! oh well, thanks Tbird..........i'll check your thread for the bad news!!!

Ta,

Damien.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I've changed the belts before. It took a couple hours, but it wasn't rocket science. I actually have the procedure for the s/c belt replacement in a PDF on my computer. If I find it I'll post a link. Really the only difficult part was losening the tensioner so I could pull the belt out. There's a lot of reaching, fishing, pulling yanking, and heavy drinking involved. But only a few basic hand tools are required.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to loosen my belt when I did my PS pump replacement on my StypeR, but have not changed it yet, but as White Styepr stated it pretty easy. If the tensionr or pulley is clicking then its going to be a bit harder to fix, cause your are going to have to remove the clicking ten/pulley, but it is doable.

I would recommend, taking off the belt, then roatating the tensioner/pulleys freehand and check if you can hear the problem.. then you can proceed to fixing the problem. hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2023, 02:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checking in lol

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
I've changed the belts before. It took a couple hours, but it wasn't rocket science. I actually have the procedure for the s/c belt replacement in a PDF on my computer. If I find it I'll post a link. Really the only difficult part was losening the tensioner so I could pull the belt out. There's a lot of reaching, fishing, pulling yanking, and heavy drinking involved. But only a few basic hand tools are required.
did you ever find the pdf for changing out the belt? I know I’m super late but currently learning about this car to gift my dad for his retirement (I’m learning so he doesn’t get ripped off in the future or have to junk it)

thanks!

Old 01-14-2023, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 630 Likes on 495 Posts

Welcome. I see that this is your first post. Is the car an S-type R (supercharged) or some other variant? It would be helpful to put the model and year in your signature and complete your location in the member profile.

Also, it is expected that new members post an "intro" in the New Members forum, here:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Don't know if the parts are still available but they probably are?
I also posted as Tbird6 in the above thread.
Everything you need is in the attached document.

Now a bigger question is can you or your dad DIY the repairs?
There really is no need for instructions for something as simple as a belt change? But your problems go beyond changing the belt so replace all the parts that are listed because otherwise the noise won't go away.

Attached Files

Last edited by clubairth1; 01-14-2023 at 01:23 PM.
MileHighNewt (03-11-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

I always quickly jot down a belt map before removing them.
this may help.

Last edited by Datsports; 01-18-2023 at 09:26 PM.
MileHighNewt (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
Welcome. I see that this is your first post. Is the car an S-type R (supercharged) or some other variant? It would be helpful to put the model and year in your signature and complete your location in the member profile.

Also, it is expected that new members post an "intro" in the New Members forum, here:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
alrighty I’ll go do that; I’m not sure how to put it in my signature but yes it’s the 2003 Jaguar s type r supercharged model

Old 03-11-2023, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Don't know if the parts are still available but they probably are?
I also posted as Tbird6 in the above thread.
Everything you need is in the attached document.

Now a bigger question is can you or your dad DIY the repairs?
There really is no need for instructions for something as simple as a belt change? But your problems go beyond changing the belt so replace all the parts that are listed because otherwise the noise won't go away.
my dad can do basic stuff as he has been with his Infiniti qx60 but I’ve been working on the basic stuff with the Jaguar for two years and have experience with chevys for the past 10 years. So far on the jag I’ve done full brake and rotor replacements, fuel filter, fuses, headlight and taillight and that’s about it;

Old 03-12-2023, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

If you can do those repairs you won't have any problems with the belt change or anything else. This is pretty basic repair work.
If you don't replace all the parts in the document I posted above the noise will come back. I know I fought belt squeak in the cold for some time before I found the factory updated parts listing. I was lucky as my 2005 STR was still under warranty so no cost to me when I took the TSB to the dealer with me.

This is when I learned a important lesson when dealing with the dealers. You need to use the correct terms so they will cover in under warranty. Don't say hey look at the belt is sounds funny. Instead I said when it's cold out and I start the car I have a loud belt squeak for 5-10 minutes and then it goes away. This closely matches what Jaguar has in the TSB describing the customer concerns. They will only fix things that the factory says they can fix under warranty.

Aarcuda (03-12-2023)