S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR sound clip

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STR sound clip

I got a 2003 STR with almost 160 000 kms. the engine has been starting to make a ticking/clicking noise from the driver side im pretty sure & a hissing sound like a got a vacuum leak but cant see it anywhere. heres a link to a sound clip i recorded http://rapidshare.com/files/410912280/VID00035.MP4 i tried to post it on youtube but the sound came out even worst then what it is. i hope this link works out fine & someone will have a idea on what could be making the noise. thanks for any help

Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GRN03STR
I got a 2003 STR with almost 160 000 kms. the engine has been starting to make a ticking/clicking noise from the driver side im pretty sure & a hissing sound like a got a vacuum leak but cant see it anywhere. heres a link to a sound clip i recorded http://rapidshare.com/files/410912280/VID00035.MP4 i tried to post it on youtube but the sound came out even worst then what it is. i hope this link works out fine & someone will have a idea on what could be making the noise. thanks for any help
Arrgggghhhhh....that vaccum sound is over powering the clicking sound behind it, I can't tell if thats the same sound mine makes only when I rev the engine(the clicking) or not, but anyhow I really hope some one on this forum can help solve your issue/s.
By the way is there a way you can take a sound clip while revving the engine??

Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

It sounds like the sound emitted when oil is not pumping up the lifters on engines with hydraulically actuated lifters...clatter...clatter.... = valve lash. The STR has over the head cams though (no hydraulic lifters). The cam followers are known to break on some engines emitting a similar sound. Or a/the cam shaft (s) are worn? The car has 160 kilometers, huh? Perhaps perform a compression test to rule out worn camshaft(s), and inspect cam followers, etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Lots of engines with 4 overhead cams have hydraulic valve lash adjustment. My 90 Infiniti Q45 with 145K miles does this after sitting for a long time. I didn't listen to the sound though.

Bob S.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Anybody here know if the STR has hydraulic valve lash adjustment? I'm more familiar with OHV engines.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

I just looked at the JTIS for a 2003 V8 and it shows a valve adjusting shim so apparently there's no hydraulic valve lash adjustment. I am disappointed but then The first Lexus V8s didn't have any either and they did very well.

But what did confuse me was it shows variable valve timing yet I've read everywhere that this didn't arrive until the 2006 MY??????

Bob S.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

The V8 NA had VVT but not the STR.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member

Do you know why that was the case?

Bob S.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

I understand they only fitted VVT to the STR to get past tight emissions laws (probably from CARB). Could be a myth, though.

It looks to have needed a newer type of PCM judging by the elec diagrams, connector pinouts etc (and it appears it IS a newer type of Denso PCM). This must make software (calibration) maintenance a nightmare.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by jag79
Arrgggghhhhh....that vaccum sound is over powering the clicking sound behind it, I can't tell if thats the same sound mine makes only when I rev the engine(the clicking) or not, but anyhow I really hope some one on this forum can help solve your issue/s.
I know the hissing is really bad. The ticking does get louder when i rev the engine but ill take another video & post it anyway. i really hope someone can help us with this. My ticking/clicking noise has only been getting louderover the past few months

Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
It sounds like the sound emitted when oil is not pumping up the lifters on engines with hydraulically actuated lifters...clatter...clatter.... = valve lash. The STR has over the head cams though (no hydraulic lifters). The cam followers are known to break on some engines emitting a similar sound. Or a/the cam shaft (s) are worn? The car has 160 kilometers, huh? Perhaps perform a compression test to rule out worn camshaft(s), and inspect cam followers, etc.
its my daily driver & i take it everywhere..i know its prob one of the highest mileage STRs out there but i love the car & just want it sounding good again. I had other work done recently & had a compression test & it was fine. Thanks for everyones help i really do appreciate it.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

grn03str, the cam followers use shims (to adjust out lash) that can/will wear and/or break. Removing the cam covers to inspect the camshaft assembly may shed some light as to the cause of the clicking/ticking noise.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
I understand they only fitted VVT to the STR to get past tight emissions laws (probably from CARB). Could be a myth, though.

It looks to have needed a newer type of PCM judging by the elec diagrams, connector pinouts etc (and it appears it IS a newer type of Denso PCM). This must make software (calibration) maintenance a nightmare.
OK let me try this again. As understand it the 2003-2005 STR cars do not have VVT and the later ones do.

I have a JTIS dated up to 2003.

The V8 engine diagram in that JTIS clearly shows VVT.

So what I understood from your initial answer is that they left VVT off of the STR rom 2003-2005 but that it WAS on the NA engines from 2003-2005.

My question is. If that's the case why would they have done that?

Especially for such a small number of engines.

I don't even understand why the wouldn't have VVT on any engine. I first had on one of my cars in 1990 over twenty years ago.

Does it not provide any significant performance improvement with a supercharged engine? I understand about the emissions angle. That very well could be the case. California decides a lot things for the entire planet.

Bob S.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I was wondering the same thing. I just moved up from a 2000 stype to a 2005 STR and hear the same engine clicking noise. Mine has 41K. I took it to a dealer for the oil change, Nalley, and they didn't say anything to me about it?? Can I assume it's normal?

Thanx.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
The V8 engine diagram in that JTIS clearly shows VVT.

So what I understood from your initial answer is that they left VVT off of the STR rom 2003-2005 but that it WAS on the NA engines from 2003-2005.

My question is. If that's the case why would they have done that?

'''

Does it not provide any significant performance improvement with a supercharged engine?
Yes, the jtis electrical diagram for the V8 NA does show VVT and the SC shows no VVT (plus the actual SC cars, such as mine from 2004, do not have VVT).

My guess is that there was some technical reason why they couldn't have VVT on the initial STR. If I had to guess I'd say the PCM could not handle it, whether for number of I/O pins or the speed or the memory available but that is just a guess. When they added VVT to the STR they also went to a newer design of PCM, but that could just be coincidence.

I understand it does not provide any performance gain worth talking about (if any at all) on the STR. I don't know enough about SC cars to say whether that's to be expected or not.

It's possible (but I don't know) that with VVT more power could be available but is not enabled. If (that's if LOL) that's the case, my further guess would be to do with emissions.

I'm out of my depth, sorry.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Default any ideas yet?

I listened to the audio/video file and mine sounds exactly like yours, maybe louder and it has only 42k now (2005). The is my first STR so do they all sound like this? I would think that the Jaguar dealer that just changed my oil would have said something???

Should I be worried?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks a lot for the help & sorry for taking so long to get back on here. Heres another sound clip that u can hear the clicking better http://rapidshare.com/files/411416321/VID00037.MP4.html the sound is definitely not normal..mine has only been getting worse.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
grn03str, the cam followers use shims (to adjust out lash) that can/will wear and/or break. Removing the cam covers to inspect the camshaft assembly may shed some light as to the cause of the clicking/ticking noise.
That will be the first thing i look into...thanks for your ideas.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jag79
Jag79 sorry i took forever but here is the clip revving my engine http://rapidshare.com/files/411417470/VID00039.MP4.html

Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Default maybe this is it???

I finally took my 2005 STR in and oddly enough I never thoguht about turning off the AC. We heard the clicking, and it's been getting worse. We turned off the AC and it went away. The dealership's mechanic said it's the A/C compressor. He even said that the A/C was still working fine, putting out the right temp, etc. The good thing is mine is still under warranty and tomorrow they're going to replace it! So if that is it, I'll let you know. But the sound clip is exactly what I'm hearing.

Quick Reply: STR sound clip