Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Throttle body mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 08:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STR Throttle body mount

Hello str Supercharger aficionados!

I have the S/C out again to replace the throttle body elbow: Supercharger gasket. I did not secure it properly last time and had massive vacuum leaks. I think the main issue was poor alignment of the elbow due to some bracket bending on removal of the S/C. I had to be pretty aggressive rotating the elbow up and out of the way to loosen rear Supercharger attachment bolt.

It is not possible to access the mounting bracket/bolt with the S/C in place. (MHO). So I am considering removing the Elbow mounting bolt and bracket and allowing 4 bolts attaching Elbow or Supercharger to carry the load. I can also access the rear supercharger bolt to tighter before installing Elbow. Has anyone tried this?

I’m also looking for replacement bolts with gaskets AJ88552
And torque setting for them. I asked on another thread and got 10 14 and 20 N-M answers. I’m going with 14 unless better advised.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2023, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I got that bolt and bracket off and on twice so it is possible just hard. If you slot the rear most hole on the SC. Then that bolt can stay in place and only needs to be tightened or loosened a few turns. WAY easier but I did it twice before I learned my lesson! This is one of those "golden" suggestions from one of our factory Jaguar tech's Brutal.

On the SC elbow there is a weird little swivel brass vacuum fitting that most likely is leaking since you took off the SC. It's for the PB booster. Couple of ways to fix it if that is leaking.

Is the bracket you damaged attach where the green arrow is pointing?
Can you post a picture of the bracket?

Up to you but I find it much easier to install/remove the SC with the elbow and all that attached.
Don't have the torque settings but it's all Aluminum so take it easy. I make sure it's snug by feel.

Those bolts ARE expensive at $11 each! But the dealer seems to have them in stock?

Jaguar Bolt

PS; I HOPE this repair was to replace the under SC coolant hose?
I try not to force things mainly because everything is so expensive to replace!

The following users liked this post:
Mclovin22 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STR throttle body mount

Thanks for the input.

I did replace the coolant hose and that fitting for the power brake vacuum hose.

I’ll try to post a picture of the bracket holding throttle body elbow. I see that I’d have to remove the EGR sensor assembly to get any real flexibility. That’s a pain!

im thinking I’ll blank parts of TB elbow and smoke test all the remaining fittings before all the work to refit supercharger.

i thought I checked US dealers for bolt AJ88552 with no luck but your link solved that. Thanks. I did find them in Canada but no way to “import”.

would you change knock sensors at 20 years and 110k mileage? I think I will. I can only find one part that apparently works left and right. Can anyone confirm?

Old 11-24-2023, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Your right that with the SC removed both knock sensors are right out in the open and simple to swap out. The cost of the part is not bad either.
BUT I will say I just don't see these failing at all? When I did my 2005 STR I left them alone and I did wonder like you should these be changed?

I did not. So I'm no help and if you want to change them I can't argue with that!
Yes they are identical sensors