S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STR Transmission

I have an 03STR with about 90K and it appears the transmission is having some problems. In top gear at low rpm's around 1500 it feels like it's slipping. I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth keeping the car and fixing it or just selling. The question is the tranny in the str the same as the v8 stype or is there any other cross referencing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Usually (and this is quite a common question about the car - not relevant that it's an STR) this is a fault but NOT in the autobox. See other similar threads

Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrod22
I have an 03STR with about 90K and it appears the transmission is having some problems. In top gear at low rpm's around 1500 it feels like it's slipping. I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth keeping the car and fixing it or just selling. The question is the tranny in the str the same as the v8 stype or is there any other cross referencing. Any help would be much appreciated.
Alrite don't manic yet, first tell me have you done a transmission fluid change at all ever since owning your STR? Have a Jag tech look at the transmission fluid level first if its low or not. Secondly If you have not done a tranny fluid change at all then you should definitely do a complete transmission flush with a new transmission sleeve while you are at it. If you do a search I had posted up a link to a distributor who sells the ZF fluid with the kit;cheapest thus far as to my knowledge last time I checked You can also check the FAQ's section towards the end there's some links geared towards the ZF transmission. IF that doesn't solve your problem then the Jag techs can hook it up to the machine and let you know which gears are slipping due to whatever reason it maybe, but don't go off running away and dumping your STR in a hurry. It may just be something minor you know

Cheers!

Last edited by jag79; 03-01-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,617 Likes on 8,302 Posts

Don't know what part of CA. you're in, but here's a link that will show where some techs are.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=38

Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 PM

I have had it serviced once. The fluid was changed by a non Jag cert tech. I don't know if the sleeve was replaced. I can tell you that the problem is with 6th gear. It's slipping at around 1500 rpm. It's worse when it's cold and far worse on any kind of hil. Once I get past that rev range all is fine and it doesn't happen in any other gear.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 PM

By the way I wasn't planning on selling. I was just looking into used trannies and trying to understand exactly what transmission is in this car and what other jags have the same one.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrod22
From what you wrote you mentioned about deciding on keeping the car or selling it, sorry if I misunderstood you there , but hey definitely have a trained Jag tech look at the tranny fluid if its low and to check for leaks if so. Not any mechanic will have knowledge about the ZF Transmissions in our Jags. There are special protocols to follow on how to check the fluid with a temp guage etc.. REad up on it in the FAQ's section under Transmission to familiarize yourself with it. Also going to a Jag tech will be beneficial b/c of the special tools they have at their disposal to diagnosis exactly whats causing your slippage.

Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

KMROD22, Please let us know how the non Jag tech. changed the trans fluid. Did he unscrew the drain plug and emptied the fluid...then dropped the pan...replaced the cross-over tube...replaced with a new transmission pan-filter combo (the pan and trans. filter are an integrated (attached together) unit...pour approx. 4 quarts ZF trans. fluid into drain hole...start engine, put in drive then continue to add approx. another 6 to 7 quarts of trans. fluid till seeps out of drain hole...screw in drain plug? Have the TCM (trans. control module flashed) and ECU flashed.

Last edited by bfsgross; 03-01-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 PM

I'm not sure all that he did but I'll check with him. This is good info thanks.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

1500rpm in 6th....... about 60mph?

What do you mean by slipping?

Like any of the transmission TSBs in the forum stickies?

Or could it be as a result of misfires? (They upset autoboxes, which don't expect the tiny torque variations.)

Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slipping or locking / releasing

I'm curious is it absolutely slipping - steady increase of RPM without change in speed, or a feeling of on/off where as the it wants to lock up in 6th, does so, then decides immediately to unlock more of an oscillating situation, this is what I find, under identical conditions ie worse colder, low RPM etc.
I am going to check fluid 1st, but not driving the car much so have not done this yet.

PEte

Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely see the TSBs

Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 AM

JagV8 per your reccomendation I went and checked out the tsb's and perhaps you're right. Maybe it's only a TCM flash. I'm going to talk to my mechanic tomorrow to see what exactly he did and then try to get in touch with a cert Jag guy to at least flash the TCM and perhaps redo the fluid change. Out of curiousity, do you guys know what the dealer charges for a TCM flash?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:01 AM

Oh also the it's just a up and down surge between 1400 and 1500 rpm.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

If you're unlucky it'll need a new torque convertor
I'd try the reflash

Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 PM

I got in touch with a certified jag guy in Pasadena. He's going to do a TCM flash and pull any other codes for $90. He said that he didn't think that's what it was. He said he thought it was the torque converter. We'll see. Any idea what a torque converter costs for this thing? Also aside from the company that is selling the transmission oil change package what is the least expensive place to get the pan/sleeve that you need to do the change? The reason is that I think I'm going to use the Castrol alternative that some have used.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Default Consequences of slightly over full fluid

My mechanic checked the level properly today, and at 40 it is near the fill port, but not coming out.
driving concerns are worse when cold, so I would like to add a 1/2 L or 1 L to see if it improves, there has to be some tolerance on the fill level, but does anyone know of consequences for an OVERFILL condition?
PR

Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member

Why not just fill it the proper way? There is even a FAQ I think.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Default time

I may have to do that, but I want to add a bit until it starts coming out at 40c as per the procedure, and see if that improves the 'high load low rpm lockup/release" condition.
I suspect based mostly on temperature changes that I may be just a bit low of fluid, although there are no leaks.
PR

Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 AM

So the saga continues. I took the car to a local shop that was recommended on this board to do a flash of the TCM per a recent TCB. I'm not real familiar with this process but when he initially did the read he said it showed a fault for the torque converter. But this is where it gets bad. When he went to load the new software the computer wouldn't take it. He took it to the dealer he used to work at to see if their computer would have the same result and it was the same thing. Their determination is that the computer is shot which will require a whole new valve body. Unfortunately no one sells used valve bodies only complete transmissions. Futhermore the car went from having a bit of an annoying issue to being completely undriveable as it is stuck in limp mode. Does anyone have any suggestions. Also how interchangeable are these trannies from one year to another as well as one model to another. The guys seemed to think they are very vin specific. Help please help.

Quick Reply: STR Transmission