Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ill sell you mine for 500, I can send you pics

Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by super_jag
Ill sell you mine for 500, I can send you pics
Which ones do you have? If you have the Vulcans then I'll take them TODAY!!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM

the original 18" STR Vulcans

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM

pm sent

Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Consider them SOLD!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Hey NV, can't we give 05 first dibs on the Vulcans, I know this may be hard, but it was his original thread asking for help finding more than a couple rims. He may pass on them since he may still want chromed versions, which we've already established a place to trade in his. Maybe give him a couple days to decide before swooping in? Super_jag is a standup guy, I'm sure he'll put you down as 2nd in line.

What do you think?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
Will the 8.5 even fit on the rear of the STR.
If anyone on here is doing this with an STR please chime in and give us your thoughts.
Coventry Wheels claims they will.

http://www.coventrywheels.com/jaguar-wheels.php

And the local shops I've gone to, when I've pointed these out, say that given the specs they should fit, but that I can expect to lose some performance due to the different handling characteristics. Unfortunately, it's not a "try before you buy" type deal. The only way I'd know for sure is to purchase 4 of these, have them put them on, and see how it goes. I'd rather not be a guinea pig if I can help it. And, like I said, deep down I know I'd be disappointed to lose the staggered setup...so why go with something I really don't want...unless it is my last option.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by NVMYJAG
WRONG, if you have the money you can get a set of custom made wheels. There is a member on the forum that has one of the nicest set-up on the board but they weren't cheap. Check out 03JagSTR and you can see the custom set-up he has. The wheel company is COR out of FL. I've spoken with them and the wheels are somewhere around $1500.00 EACH.
http://corforged.com/home.aspx
Well, I guess I never mentioned price in my original posts, but I'm personally not the kind of person to drop that much money on rims. I'm quite happy with the ones that came with it, and remember...I'm not looking to get new rims for aesthetic reasons, it's because I have 2 bad ones causing excessive vibration at highway speed.

I wouldn't go bigger than 18" on this car...1, because it's not personally my style...and 2, given Chicago's potholes, less rubber between the road and my rim seems like a bad idea. I even considered dropping down to 17's for that reason...

My ideal solution was to replace the 1 front and 1 rear that are bad. That's looking unlikely because they are chrome versions of the Vulcans. I'm not stuck on the Vulcan style so much that I wouldn't considering changing them...to me, the Zeus, Indianapolis, Barcelona...you name it...look perfectly good to me. I just want 4 round ones!

Old 01-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by grocery getter
The Tire rack lists a couple of options for the s type R:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...&autoModClar=R

My favorites

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1280
I've already looked there. If you look closely, most of these options only have the 18x8 wheel listed. Doesn't offer the 18x9.5 for the rear...hence it doesn't offer a staggered solution. Perhaps the 19's do, because I ignored them because I don't want to go bigger than 18 (particularly with how notoriously bad Chicago's roads are)...and because dropping 4K because of my 2 bent rims seems like overkill.

What's interesting is that most of us are looking in the same places...I've seen people offer their "R" rims for sale from time to time, and I am guessing that is because they went to a larger or flashier style and didn't need them anymore.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Hey NV, can't we give 05 first dibs on the Vulcans, I know this may be hard, but it was his original thread asking for help finding more than a couple rims. He may pass on them since he may still want chromed versions, which we've already established a place to trade in his. Maybe give him a couple days to decide before swooping in? Super_jag is a standup guy, I'm sure he'll put you down as 2nd in line.

What do you think?
I appreciate the sentiment. I feel like I'm a little late to the party. If NVMYJAG really wants them, it's a free country and he was first to reply...so I'm not going to complain about it. I only care about the chrome if I was purchasing just 2 to replace the bent rims...so they match, obviously. Otherwise, I'm not stuck on whatever set of 4 I get. They just can't be out-of-round.

Man, I should have come to this forum a month ago...would have saved a lot of aggravation.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Better late than never! It's good to have another STR owner

Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 05chi_str
I appreciate the sentiment. I feel like I'm a little late to the party. If NVMYJAG really wants them, it's a free country and he was first to reply...so I'm not going to complain about it. I only care about the chrome if I was purchasing just 2 to replace the bent rims...so they match, obviously. Otherwise, I'm not stuck on whatever set of 4 I get. They just can't be out-of-round.

Man, I should have come to this forum a month ago...would have saved a lot of aggravation.
Thanks for understand the whole "free country" thing. Lol but really the reason I chimed in was because from what you were typing I didn't think you wanted anything but chrome ones or four new ones. If I’m wrong please pm me.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYJAG
Thanks for understand the whole "free country" thing. Lol but really the reason I chimed in was because from what you were typing I didn't think you wanted anything but chrome ones or four new ones. If I’m wrong please pm me.
NVMYJAG.
Don't you have aftermarket rims on your car already?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
NVMYJAG.
Don't you have aftermarket rims on your car already?
After market wheels have been in the, for sale section for months w/no interest but thanks for asking.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...7802#post97802

Last edited by NvmyJag; 01-28-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

05chi_str:
Have you thought about repairing yours?? Maybe I missed that in this long thread. L.A. Wheel and many others claim to fix rims perfectly.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
05chi_str:
Have you thought about repairing yours?? Maybe I missed that in this long thread. L.A. Wheel and many others claim to fix rims perfectly.
That was the first thing I tried. Did some research and found that "Wheels America" had a great reputation and, believe it or not, is less than a mile from where I live.

Took it there and they kept it for about 6 hours then called and said they couldn't be repaired. I'm not sure why exactly, but if it could be done I'm sure they would have been happy to take my money.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

05, I would first contact LA Wheel and Tire, tell them you have two 'unrepairable' rims, and see if they'll still do an exchange, maybe work you a special deal.

There's a set of regular finish vulcans on ebay right now, and if you put a few hundred more on refinishing a few of them, you'll still be doing well price-wise. Just another thought.

Again, if you want to look at some other wheel types that jaguars have, let us know, we'll find you some more options. I personally like these 19" barcelonas from the s-type, or you can get some 19" chromed Zeus wheels, from the XJR.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM

05, I would first contact LA Wheel and Tire, tell them you have two 'unrepairable' rims, and see if they'll still do an exchange, maybe work you a special deal.

There's a set of regular finish vulcans on ebay right now, and if you put a few hundred more on refinishing a few of them, you'll still be doing well price-wise. Just another thought.

Again, if you want to look at some other wheel types that jaguars have, let us know, we'll find you some more options. I personally like these 19" barcelonas from the s-type, or you can get some 19" chromed Zeus wheels, from the XJR.

The wheels on ebay are the Zues not the Vulcans and I'm not sure if the ones for the XJR are the correct staggered offset for the STR

Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I was actually watching the Ebay wheels already, and as NVMYJAG mentioned, they are "Zeus" and not Vulcan...but the styling difference doesn't matter to me. As far as your other 19" options, given all the problems with Chicago potholes, I really don't want to go bigger than 18s either. What I'm looking for (in order of importance):

1) Do NOT want to lose the original staggered setup.
2) Want to keep the original 18" size...am willing to go lower, to 17s (is that even possible, will the brakes clear?) but not BIGGER...due to the area roads. Or is it a myth that larger wheels are more susceptible to potholes?
3) Prefer Jaguar OEM wheels (Zeus, Vulcan, etc.), but am not against aftermarket so long as it doesn't violate rules #1 and #2. Coventry Wheels are the only aftermarket I've seen that claim to make wheels specifically for the R, and yet they want you to go to 18x8.5s all around. Has anyone done this, and if so, how does it handle/look?
4) Chrome is preferred, but absolutely not a dealbreaker. At this point, I just want 4 round ones again.

Thanks once again to everyone for all of the info. I have a couple leads at least, and I can see I'm definitely not alone in having trouble finding wheels for the "R"...

Quick Reply: STR Wheels - Where to get OEM or alternative