S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange beeping noise...please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried this but it didn't work.

Like I said, my car year is only 2001. In the USA, the seat belt noise is not implemented until later years. So it is DEFINITELY not seat belt related. Besides, the seat belt light functions correctly.

Thanks!

"To enable or disable the seat belt warning chime...
1. Ensure the front passenger seat is unoccupied.

NOTE: Steps two to five must be completed within 60 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition to the RUN position (do not start the engine).

3. Buckle the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp extinguishes.

4. Unbuckle the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp illuminates.

5. Repeat Steps three and four a further eight times.

6. When the driver safety belt buckle is unbuckled for the ninth time a single chime will be heard. The single chime is acknowledgement that the beltminder feature has been disabled.

The beltminder feature will be disabled until the above process (Steps one to six) are repeated. Upon repeating the process the beltminder feature will be reactivated.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by thedicktator; 01-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Did you check the linkage like I suggested?

Umm.. You do know it is real bad to run the car that low of fuel.

Have you taken the car to a dealer and have them look at it?

I have half tank left.

I called the dealer and they want $300 to do a diagnostic

Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by police666
does your airbag light come on when the key is in position II before you start the engine ?
No, there is no airbag warning light, I am pretty sure this is what is causing the beeps. To quote -

JTIS - The ECS monitors the SRS for possible faults. If a fault is detected while the ignition switch is in the RUN position, the ECS will illuminate the air bag indicator located in the instrument cluster. When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then turned on) after the 8 second prove out (6 seconds on, 2 seconds off), the air bag indicator will flash the two-digit lamp fault code (LFC). The air bag indicator will flash the LFC five times, then it will remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The ECS will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the data link connector (DLC), using the Portable Diagnostic Unit (PDU). If the air bag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the ECS will activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of five sets of five tone bursts. If the chime or buzzer is heard, the SRS and the air bag indicator requires service.

So - I think that is the problem, but I don't have the solution.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Oops... I though the display was reading "low fuel"... Sorry

I'm baffled. At this point I would find a dealer and get them to hook up the car and find what fault warning is triggering that beep. That is what that is. Somewhere the system sees a fault and is chiming a warning.

Last edited by JOsworth; 01-20-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

If it's SRS or similar then dealer-type jag diagnostics such as IDS or AE (AutoEnginuity) can read the code(s) but ordinary OBD tools won't.

Usually you'd get flash codes but maybe it's finding it can't communicate properly to send them and is chiming instead.

Presumaby you've checked all fuses and swapped relays around.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Thanks Xylos and JagV8

I think you guys are pointing me to the right direction!

I noticed that my SRS light came on briefly for 1 second when key is in position #2 then turned off.

Is there easy anyway just to disconnect that speaker? I just want the beeping to go away because it is so annoying.

The car drives fine. I really don't want to pay $300 just for a diagnostic at the dealer

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by thedicktator; 01-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, i'll give it a shot here,, I hada beep many yrs ago beep took me long time to figure it out,, the beep was trying to tell me my antenna was dirty.....lolol..... took long time to figure out so when i hear the beep and just clean the antenna lololol
Genoaz
1995 xj6 190

Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

The SRS (airbag) light self-tests briefly at ignition II (as with other dash lights), so that sounds normal.

hmm, and usually if it's SRS then it flashes a code in 2 groups of flashes if you leave the key in that position. Then the flash code is in the SRS codes PDF

But... lack of flashes probably doesn't guarantee the SRS is OK. There are lots of codes and not all have flash codes.

$300 is outrageous. They can scan all the modules in 10 mins or so (well, AE does - jag's IDS is a bit keen not to do stuff in a hurry). For not much more than $300 you could get your own copy of AE.

Er.... wasn't there a forum member who offered to loan it out?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Wow that is so interesting! Thanks for the share.

I wonder why Jaguar implement these annoying beeping sounds that is hard to diagnose. A google search for "jaguar beeping" brings over 11 million results so I guess a lot of people are having same problem, all for different reasons.

Originally Posted by genoaz
Ok, i'll give it a shot here,, I hada beep many yrs ago beep took me long time to figure it out,, the beep was trying to tell me my antenna was dirty.....lolol..... took long time to figure out so when i hear the beep and just clean the antenna lololol
Genoaz
1995 xj6 190

Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 PM

The SRS instrument light turns on once at ignition II then goes out after 1 second.

I also just noticed that if I leave the key in ignition II, the annoying beep will still turns on even if I didn't crank the engine. So we know that something is wrong prior to engine start.

Originally Posted by JagV8
The SRS (airbag) light self-tests briefly at ignition II (as with other dash lights), so that sounds normal.

hmm, and usually if it's SRS then it flashes a code in 2 groups of flashes if you leave the key in that position. Then the flash code is in the SRS codes PDF

But... lack of flashes probably doesn't guarantee the SRS is OK. There are lots of codes and not all have flash codes.

$300 is outrageous. They can scan all the modules in 10 mins or so (well, AE does - jag's IDS is a bit keen not to do stuff in a hurry). For not much more than $300 you could get your own copy of AE.

Er.... wasn't there a forum member who offered to loan it out?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 AM

Still looking for a solution if anyone has any idea!

I am thinking of ripping open the instrument cluster and cut the speaker wire that makes that beeping noise.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 AM

Hi, I have rhe same problem, could you please e-mail me if you got any practical answer. Thank you
doctorkais@gmail.com

Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Result of dealer-type diagnostics on all modules?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM

I have this problem too.

My independent Jaguar Mechanic doesn't know what's wrong and couldn't fix it after he looked for 30 mins.

Anyone know, please help

Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Result of dealer-type diagnostics on all modules?
I called them and they want $300 to do the diagnostic

Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as I type it, I realize that might not concern your car, since it has no electronic park brake, but here goes anyway:

Yesterday my battery went flat - and after getting it out, loading and then restarting the car I drove away. After a couple of seconds a beeping sound came on, much like yours (albeit a bit faster frequency) and the message centre said "engage parking brake". I stopped the car, enganged and disengaged parking brake and the beeps and message went away.

This must be the dozenth sound that car has thrown at me.

Regards
FritzTheJag

Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by thedicktator
I called them and they want $300 to do the diagnostic
You have been months telling us how irritating this beeping is.........

If it bothers you so much why not let them do the diagnosis and get to the bottom of it. From your video I would sure say it sounds like the warning given when the Airbag System CAN'T warn you of a failure by using the light. Since the Airbag Lamp does come on during 'bulb test', there may well be a circuit problem between the Restraints Module and the Instruments.

The other thing to consider here is that the system MAY be deactivated because of a fault. That's not good, I'd hate for you to need it and it not be there.

My two cents.....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-17-2016)
Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had two cars do this, a 2000 bmw 540i and my wife's 2006 Jeep Cherokee. It was something simple. don't know if this is it but here you go.

I would take my daughter to day care everyday. I would put my work stuff on the floor in front of the passenger seat and her stuff on the seat itself. I would push the passenger seat all the way back on occasion. Start the car and drive off. A few seconds later the beeping would start and return a few minutes after that. I found out that by pushing the passenger seat all the way back was causing the airbag system to turn off the passenger seat airbag making the beeping start.

I went to my local indy and he knew right away what it was. He said that in some cars by either putting the car seat back all the way or putting something on the front passenger seat repeatedly will cause the sensor to go bad, making the sensor go off all the time.

Don't know if this helps but good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganWolf
I have had two cars do this, a 2000 bmw 540i and my wife's 2006 Jeep Cherokee. It was something simple. don't know if this is it but here you go.

I would take my daughter to day care everyday. I would put my work stuff on the floor in front of the passenger seat and her stuff on the seat itself. I would push the passenger seat all the way back on occasion. Start the car and drive off. A few seconds later the beeping would start and return a few minutes after that. I found out that by pushing the passenger seat all the way back was causing the airbag system to turn off the passenger seat airbag making the beeping start.

I went to my local indy and he knew right away what it was. He said that in some cars by either putting the car seat back all the way or putting something on the front passenger seat repeatedly will cause the sensor to go bad, making the sensor go off all the time.

Don't know if this helps but good luck.

HHMMmmmm like a real passenger????

But the top portion makes sense if something heavy enough is on the passenger seat without the seatbelt engaged.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this annoying tone on my 2003 S-Type. Any ideas? I suspect park brake issue maybe?

Quick Reply: Strange beeping noise...please help