Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Dead Lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stuck in Dead Lock

Hi all
My Car decided this afternoon that no more passangers are allowed.

I Dead locked (Double locked) the car. Came back and unlocked it. Passenger door did not unlock. Now its stuck in deadlock mode. Can not open the door from inside or out. How do i fix this.

I'm not a happy camper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

It is almost certainly a mechanical failure and if so you have to get at the part(s) concerned. Done by removing the door card and then getting at the lock part, but realise you may need to destroy it to get it off. Replace with one that's not broken.

This process has been done OK (and written up) for rear doors. Don't recall it for front but it's the same idea.

BUT - first it's worth trying every way you can think of to jog it open or whatever, so be creative.

The following users liked this post:
Rotorbug (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks. But The door is closed. I tried to remove the door card lastnight when i got home. But i can only get the top part and hafway down the rear (lock side) of the card lose. My arm can barely fit. Tight squeeze. I will give it some more attention this weekend. If i do manage to open the door, i will tell you guys how. But i also suspect that the mechanism gave up. I can not think that Jaguar did not leave an emegency option to open a door in this state. There must be some kind of tool or secret trick in opening a dead locked door. I mean come on....we(humans) walked on the moon!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

There will be no way to do that once the mechanism has failed because it would be that mechanism's job. It's "just" a straightforward but painful task of gaining access. I suppose a tech who's done it a few times may well have thought up some short cuts but I've not heard of this fault ever before so it could be you who posts those ideas!!

In any car, people do occasionally get trapped where their door won't open but in an emergency just use another, a window or if need be wait to be cut free.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have this issue too. The passenger door behind the driver door. It was stuck about 4 weeks ago and I haven't figured how to get it unstuck. I finally brought it in today to my mechanic and he's had a tough time with it as well and will have to replace the door latch. It's going to cost me about $600 for just the door latch. Ugh.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 AM
Talking Prisoner released

Hi Gents.
Ok. I figured it out.
What i first did, i loosened the door card as best as possible. I could get my arm in there and feel around. So now, with some access i removed the drivers door card/panel. Had a good look at the mechanism. I specialy looked at the way the mechanism and link for the key operated.

Climbed back through the car......with small screwdriver in hand. Stuck my arm through the limited space i had. Felt around and located an opening on the mechanism in the same spot as the drivers door(where the key unlock thingy enters it). O yes...I also removed the door/lock opening handle thingy. Unhooked the cable. So now I could slowly pull the cable from the locked position to the unlock and then door open position. So with the cable in one hand and the small screwdriver in the other(This one is inside the door), I could now "feel" around the mechanism inside that little groove/opening. I moved the cable to lock......then to unlock while "feeling"with the Screwdriver. So after about 6 to 10 try's I pushed with the screw driver in the same direction as the unlock direction. It felt like there is a little wheel of some sort thats turning when you pull on the cable to unlock the mechanism. I just pushed it a little further. Pulled on the cable some more to open the door. And then...Succes!!!!!. The door opened.

So now my door mechanism is working like normal. I will get a new unit and replace. At least i can use the door again. I'm just not dead locking the car now.

I do not know if this will work on the rear doors. Could be that there is provision for something simular. The little opening on the side I mean.

Hope this is clear. If someone has a picture of these mechanisms i could indicate on them where this opening is.

Thanx guys.