Stuck in park, right now, plz help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:27 PM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stuck in park, right now, plz help

Fine Folks of the Jag Forum:

Once again I turn to you in need.
Parked my 03 STR on flat level parking lot at work this morning, only to find I could not move the selector out of Park position at lunch.

I have reviewed several postings here regarding this issue, and it would seem to have (3) likely root causes:
1) Cable mounting under car (2) bolts
2) Plastic bit failed inside shift box.
3) Electrical connection issues around brake lights or brake pedal micro switch

Regarding my issue in specific, the car fires up, the brake lights work as they should, I can use the release lever to release the parking brake (not something I usually have to do), so my "brake" light in the dash will go off, but still cannot select D.

I feel like this is a switch issue. If I recall correctly my starting procedure, I believe when I step on the brake, start the car, the parking brake automatically releases, causing the "brake" light in the dash to go out. If I search memory realllllly hard, I'm pretty sure the "brake" light in the dash goes out as soon as I depress the pedal (but maybe not). Key here is, when I press the pedal down, I'm getting no "click" of any switches or relays - feels like I should be, which makes me think my issue is in the "switch" at the pedal - which one or where is another question....

At this point, getting under car is not a real option, so pursuing #1 is a non-starter at this time.

#'s 2 and 3 can be pursued from inside the car so I'm happy to start there.

Questions are:
"Inside shift box" - can anyone provide a fairly detailed instruction as to how to achieve this? What am I taking off, where are fasteners? At work I do not have access to my JTIS...

Regarding "microswitch", how to identify this guy on the brake pedal? Seems to be quite the assortment of electrical switches/boxes/wiring around the brake pedal. Most visible is a big blue *******.

If my suspicion is correct, and it is a switch issue, is it possible to "fake it"? Can I somehow jumper the switch?

Basically, how do I get home?

Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/con9r12nc6...%20Release.pdf

Have a look at this pdf for diagram and instructions on how to release the gear lever

Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Does this also work on the EPB fitted S Type? The pdf mentions releasing the handbrake trim, which the EPB models don't have.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Have I posted the pre facelift pdf? I belive the release switches in the same place on post facelift

Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Indeed, it is the prefacelift pdf which I gather the OP has as he mentions not usually having to pull the release lever.

I'll have to have a look to see how thi is done on the post facelift cars, you never know when you may need it !!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by jar
If I search memory realllllly hard, I'm pretty sure the "brake" light in the dash goes out as soon as I depress the pedal (but maybe not).
I believe not. I think it requires also moving the transmission out of the park position.

Originally Posted by jar
Key here is, when I press the pedal down, I'm getting no "click" of any switches or relays - feels like I should be, which makes me think my issue is in the "switch" at the pedal - which one or where is another question....
I believe the brake switch (singular) both releases the transmission lockout and illuminates the brake lamps. Since your brake lamps illuminate this points away from the switch.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Sadly it may well be #1 (i.e. the bolts on trans side).

But you can take the shifter surround apart to release the shifter interlock and see if it helps. (It won't if it's the bolts.)

Old 11-20-2013, 05:21 PM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok fellas, got home, thanks for the help.

Sooo, the pdf supplied in this thread did not seem to be much help. However continuing to search forums lead to a like similar process of pull off trim pieces, undo a few fasteners, and get access to the "lever release" wingnut on the drivers side of the shift box assembly. "Wingnut" seems a bit generous of a description, as this guy is quite small, and not very wingy.

So, operating the shiftbox with the wingnut allowed me to see the solenoid shaft extend, at which point I could release the gear selector from park with no issues.

Thinking "hey", let's just space the solenoid shaft out, I installed a zip tie as a "spacer" to keep the shaft extended. This allowed me to move my gear shift wherever I wanted, but would not give me back my key, nor let the ignition return fully to the "off" position, remaining in "accessory". Nuts.

So, it appears all lights and what not function as they should, with the only item not working for me being the solenoid.

How do I determine if the solenoid is the issue, or if the brake switch is the issue?

Not looking forward to having to deal with the solenoid, if it is even a servicable item...

What other "work around" options might exist?

Spacing the solenoid plunger out doesn't let the car see Park, and keeps my key.

Spacing the black plastic arm off of the solenoid plunger seems to have no effect on the situation at all - so the solenoid plunger remains down, I physically pull the "black arm" back and hold the arm off of the plunger, and I cannot shift the gear selector.

Thoughts fellas?