S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STV8 Versus STR

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Default STV8 Versus STR

Has anyone out there spent a couple of years with a NA S-Type V8 and then moved on to an STR? I would be interested in any subjective comments you might have on the handling (responsiveness, crispness, etc.) of the STR versus the NA one. I understand the power difference. But without goosing the gas pedal, does the STR feel any different at the wheel? going around corners?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Though the 03-on n/a 300 hp @ 310 lb/ft trq. 4.2 is no slouch, the 400 hp @410 lb/ft trq. STR leaves it in the dust from rest-on, and through the twisties. If ya have and love the n/s 4.2, you'll maintain an ear to ear smile with the STR.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a grand prix GTP supercharge is was sweet , but my s type 4.2 is a beast to me. I couldn't imagine a supercharger on it, and to be honest I don't think I would want the wife driving a str.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Though I drive an STR, I concur: The n/a 4.2 is no slouch either. To up the ante, months ago I suggested to a forum member with a n/a 4.2 to perform a full mod of the exhaust (hi-flow cats, x-pipe, flow through mufflers) and air intake, ported throttle body, K&N drop-in air filter, low temperature thermostat, and ECU tune. I'm hedging the cumulative effect of these mods will put her in the 330+ hp range...Lexus, MB, and Audi stalker.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Again, let me remind folks that I am NOT soliciting comments on the greater power of the STR - that is obvious and goes without saying. What I am interested in are observations on the HANDLING differences between the STR and the NA V8 (and I don't mean steering her with the right foot).

Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Are you assuming both have CATS?

The NA usually has narrower and bigger profile tyres, so a softer ride.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Shoot Mike!, Why didn't you just say so? Of course an STR with CATS, etc. will outhandle a n/a 4.2 "S". LOL!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Shoot Mike!, Why didn't you just say so? Of course an STR with CATS, etc. will outhandle a n/a 4.2 "S". LOL!
OK - can someone be a bit more explicit/descriptive as to what you mean by outhandle? I'm looking for someone who spent a couple of years with a 4.2 NA, and then moved to an STR - and noted a significant difference in the driving experience (and not just due to the power difference). Hint: I am looking for excuses to get an STR.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hint: I am looking for excuses to get an STR.
LOL! You must be married like me!? Otherwise, why do you need an excuse? I would have purchased an R myself if one was available when I bought my NA 4.2 V8. I appreciate your post though, because I'm curious to know the differences as well.

Rob

Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spitfire
LOL! You must be married like me!? Otherwise, why do you need an excuse?

Rob
TA-DA! Give the man a banana!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

lol!
Mike, you shoulda got a 3.0L...then you could've sent her out in it with leaking IMT o-rings....she'd have come home tellin' you the car smells like it is burning...voila` we better ditch it for an STR (don't hafta tell her it's a 1.0 hr / $8 part cost repair......the smell's a lot worse than that....

Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Mike, ya gotta have an STR. I know ya wanna hear it from a former n/a "S" owner, but ya gotta trust me on this...you want an STR.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

There probably aren't many people who fit this description. I came from a 370z and am quite happy with mine.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm
what a dilemma....
but what i know... every man.. love fast car.. love loud engines... and love to modified their cars....

so ....?

ohh (this is a clip of what my STR used to sound like before i reinstalled a magnaflows on them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8570NvlPM

Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
I'm looking for someone who spent a couple of years with a 4.2 NA, and then moved to an STR - and ...
There may not be anyone who's done that. Even if there is someone, they're unlikely to be a member. Could be a shop owner/worker who's driven both and can comment but again they're not likely to be a member.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Has anyone out there spent a couple of years with a NA S-Type V8 and then moved on to an STR? I would be interested in any subjective comments you might have on the handling (responsiveness, crispness, etc.) of the STR versus the NA one. I understand the power difference. But without goosing the gas pedal, does the STR feel any different at the wheel? going around corners?
I would think it feels different since the suspension is different. Mine isn't all that great on bad bumpy roads. The front end feels like it bobbles out of control too easily so I'm not convinced it's as dialed in as possible. It's just wonderful on the smooth stuff.

I don't want a uber firm spring ride but this weekend I was in the left lane on I95 between Newark airport and the tolls approaching the Lincoln tunnel & meadow lands. It's a notoriously lousy piece of elevated highway. I was moving ... Then I saw a late model bright yellow Audi S4 (V8?) coming up from behind very,very fast. I got out of the way. He was doing over 100 which is stupid to do there but I got back in line and watch how his car reacted to the horrible road surface.

That car seemed to be doing a much better job of absorbing the bumps than mine. The body on mine was up & down and left-right at well below his speeds.

Sometimes a softer more compliant suspension takes roads like that better than the uber sport model.

So go drive one. I think it's your best way to get an answer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Staatsof:
bfsgross (02-28-2011), SCMike (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I would think it feels different since the suspension is different. Mine isn't all that great on bad bumpy roads. The front end feels like it bobbles out of control too easily so I'm not convinced it's as dialed in as possible. It's just wonderful on the smooth stuff.

I don't want a uber firm spring ride but this weekend I was in the left lane on I95 between Newark airport and the tolls approaching the Lincoln tunnel & meadow lands. It's a notoriously lousy piece of elevated highway. I was moving ... Then I saw a late model bright yellow Audi S4 (V8?) coming up from behind very,very fast. I got out of the way. He was doing over 100 which is stupid to do there but I got back in line and watch how his car reacted to the horrible road surface.

That car seemed to be doing a much better job of absorbing the bumps than mine. The body on mine was up & down and left-right at well below his speeds.

Sometimes a softer more compliant suspension takes roads like that better than the uber sport model.

So go drive one. I think it's your best way to get an answer.
Now, that's the sort of input I am looking for. Unfortunately, STR are not exactly thick on the ground out here in the provinces, so it is going to take an effort to go find one to drive. I'm trying to figure out if I want to go to that effort. Our NA S-Type is the wife's daily driver - she loves it. My daily driver is a 335i Coupe (sorry!) - when I go from the BMW to the S-Type, the Jaguar feels, well, soggy/leaden (I mean in the handling, not in response to the gas pedal) until I drive for a bit and recalibrate my senses. The S-Type is a greater tourer, but... I was hoping that someone would pipe up that the STR is much crisper in its handling responses.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Mike, as your aware, the STR incorporates Jaguars CATS suspension. She starts out soft then stiffer as she senses sharp turns or whatever. Some of here, including me, have swapped in H&R Sport Lowering Springs. These drop her an inch and a 1/4 and do a nice job keeping her level on the turns and dips. Search for members who posted pics of their STR's with the H&R's. The stance looks the way it should have been out of the box.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

But don't forget, I haven't driven the regular model.

You need to go drive one I think. It's hard to get a decent drive when you're shopping though. Is there anyone reasonable close to you on here with an STR?

Another thing about this car. On mine at least I find it hard to start from a start smoothly and quickly if it's in full automatic mode. Especially if it's wet or god forbid you're in the snow or ice. When the traction control steps in it's with a sledge hammer. Moving the "J" gate to 2 really makes it a nicer proposition. Horrible for the mileage though. Jaguars programming for a 6 speed automatic is singularly unimpressive. Their new cars got it right though. I really wish I could change this about the car.

I probably should spend some time on a wet skid pad with this car with the traction control off. Maybe it's just a better car to drive that way?

But where I live the traffic conditions are very unpredictable. Except that you can count on someone diving in, cutting you off even when there's a football field of room behind you.

NJ, the uber a-hole driver state. LOL

Go drive one. You WILL like the power.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Mike, as your aware, the STR incorporates Jaguars CATS suspension. She starts out soft then stiffer as she senses sharp turns or whatever. Some of here, including me, have swapped in H&R Sport Lowering Springs. These drop her an inch and a 1/4 and do a nice job keeping her level on the turns and dips. Search for members who posted pics of their STR's with the H&R's. The stance looks the way it should have been out of the box.
I wonder is anyone has ever come up with a mod to make the CATS electroically tuneable? I could see how it would be nice to have 3 settings?

Quick Reply: STV8 Versus STR