S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STV8 Versus STR

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

SCMike, I live in NY. My office is not too far away from NJ. My mother-in-law lives in Wycoff, approx. 40 minutes from my office in Cortlandt Manor, just outside Peekskill. The snows' melting away from the 03 STR so in a week or two I'll be taking her out for additional mods. You're welcome to test drive her then?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Isn't he in SC? IS there even a Wycoff SC? But I live in NJ.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry Bob, I must've misread the state Mike hails or confused it with yours? Not the first time, LOL! Will someone in NC meet Mike for a STR testdrive?! Vance580 lives in NC? Or did he move to Fla.? Oh shoot! Mike lives in SC? I'm staying out of this one. Bye ya all.

Last edited by bfsgross; 02-28-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Isn't he in SC? IS there even a Wycoff SC? But I live in NJ.
'Tis a small world. Back in the 1970's, my parents lived in Wyckoff, NJ - so I knew it well. But I am here, way down South.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Yer better off in SC IMO.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Sorry Bob, I must've misread the state Mike hails or confused it with yours? Not the first time, LOL! Will someone in NC meet Mike for a STR testdrive?! Vance580 lives in NC? Or did he move to Fla.? Oh shoot! Mike lives in SC? I'm staying out of this one. Bye ya all.
LOL. The plan to move to Florida changed. I ended up staying in NC but just moved to a different part. Now I'm near Raleigh actually only about 15 min from Raleigh. Because of school costing an arm and 2 legs for out of state tution the wife and I both get in state here so we just moved to better colleges. Not near the beach anymore but its only a 2.5 hour drive so its not too bad. It is nice being around normal civilians again though so I like the change. After school who knows where I'll end up. I actually see a STR around everyonce in a while but never seen to be able to connect so I can steer him to the site.
If someone in NC wants to experience a STR and your near me I'm game. Just saw he is in Aiken and its actually on the Georgia border in SC. I'm sure someone near him would take him for a ride so he can get a comparison.

Last edited by vance580; 02-28-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

We spent 7 years with our V8 S-type sport edition. We picked up the XF in 08 and the STR very shortly after that. The STR has some very obvious advantages but the V8 S-type NA also has its advantages.

First off the XF is hands down the best handling car of the bunch. Not even in the same ballpark. This thing loves corners and never seems unsettled in the least. It is so confident going into the corners and never surprises you even in rough corners. Absolutely love the way the brakes work with the handling. Brakes are very strong and the ride, while firm is never abrupt or jarring. The seats are not as good as the R but a big improvement over the NA V8. The XF power is better than the S-type NA V8.

Now onto the V8 S-type NA. On a long "cruise" if I cannot get the XF from the wife this is the car I will take. Partly because of much better mileage and to save miles on the STR, but it is an outstanding highway cruiser. It rides softer than the STR but not a mushy softness. It definately still has a sport feel to it. It corners outstanding, here again not as good as the XF or STR. You feel more confident in the NA than the STR though, it has a softer steering feel and not nearly as twitchy. You really have to be trying to screw up to get this car to misbehave. The seats are the least favorite of all 3. Virtually no lateral support. Expect to slide around a lot in the S-type NA. The brakes are also very weak compared to the other 2. Scares the crap out of me every time I drive it on the first stop. I love the stereo in this car though. The STR stereo is a joke compared to this one.

Now the STR. The "Giddy" factor in this car is off the chart. It is an absolute blast to drive. The supercharge whine is classic. When I first got this car I would drive without the stereo on just to listen to it, especially the blowby chirp when letting off the throttle. Cannot wait to get the new intake on it, hopefully it really allows the supercharge whine to sing through.
The handling of the STR is nothing like the other 2. You can really tell the difference from driving it hard to just cruising. It is much more "sport" tuned than the NA. It corners hard and I have yet to break it loose without throttle input, however it is very twitchy compared to the XF and NA. In a rough corner it seems a little more unsettled than the other 2, of course you are probably entering the corner much faster. It just does not give you the confidence that the XF does going into the corners. But coming out of the corner it excels at. It plants the power very well on exit. The seats on the R are outstanding. You do not move at all in them, excellent lateral support.
The brakes are about as exciting as the engine. These are hands down the best brakes I have ever used. Some people complain about the grab of them but I absolutely love the way they work and would not change anythng about them. Serious retina detaching capabilities with the Brembo brakes.

Summary-
XF Really hard to pick on anything on this car. Does so many things well. Cannot wait to get our hands on the 5.0 XF when we sell next year.

STR Little rougher riding than the other 2, but the most "sporty" feeling ride. The brakes are in a league of their own.

V8 sport S-type Very smooth complacent ride, corners well. Suspension leaves you a little more disconnected from the road, especially when compared to the other 2.

The following 3 users liked this post by PaleRider:
bfsgross (03-01-2011), GoKittyGo (03-15-2011), SCMike (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow nice write up PaleRider!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

H&R springs give the STR a rougher ride, but changes the handling dramatically. Coupled with the Conti DW tires, the STR feels more planted and less prone to body roll in the corners. I would not recommend it for a state that has a lot of potholes, but down here where the road are good, it can't be beat.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

X2 on the H&R Sport Springs Mike. These are what should have come stock on the STR.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

@PaleRider: thank you for taking the time to write a very thoughtful review of the three models - helps a lot.

Last edited by SCMike; 03-01-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a grand prix GTP supercharge is was sweet , but my s type 4.2 is a beast to me. I couldn't imagine a supercharger on it, and to be honest I don't think I would want the wife driving a str.
I had a GTP for years that I traded in on my STR, so I know where you're coming from.

There may not be anyone who's done that. Even if there is someone, they're unlikely to be a member. Could be a shop owner/worker who's driven both and can comment but again they're not likely to be a member.
My friend's dad is a mechanic and he and the wife bought a new '04 S-type. He drove my STR and now wishes he bought the R.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the STR has different suspension, larger brembo brakes, and different seats.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

phaelex, you're correct