S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stype headlights won't autolevel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stype headlights won't autolevel

First I would like to thank all the knowledgeable members on this forum. This is my first time asking for specific assistance but this site has been a miracle worker for me already with other issues I've had in years past.

Vehicle = 03 S type 4.2 w/o sc

I took my car to have 2 new front struts on and it was an absolute nightmare. I don't even want to get into the details on all that because it's put back together now. I should've just done it myself but the labor price was too cheap to pass up. I supplied the struts. Lesson learned to say the least.

But now since I picked my car back up the autolevel sequence is not happening. I didn't notice immediately because they had my lights in the off position when I picked it up. I always leave the lights in the auto position with 30 second delay. Well now that I've turned the switch back to the correct position I've noticed when I start my car the autolevel sequence does not happen anymore. Is there some kind of reset that perhaps needs to be done. I've also seen some other stype headlight posts that mention some kind of sensors that may be around the suspension or front axles. Perhaps they didn't plug something back in. That would all seem pretty strange to me that anything headlight related would be touched to do struts. Some kind of reset needing to be done if they unhooked the battery wouldn't surprise me though.

I've been through issues before with the headlights over a year ago where they had to be "calibrated" because a new one was installed following a minor accident. The lens just got scratched up nothing major/structural. No issues since. It's really hard for me to believe it's a coincidence that something wasn't done wrong at the shop because they already admitted to and had to purchase new stabilizer links that they broke during disassembly of the struts.

I just want to know how to fix it that shop will never see this car or me again.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

have you tried resetting it, by unhooking the battery? i had to do that with mine when i had my new driver side one put in. They did not do it for me, i had to do it myself.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Haven't tried that yet. My experience with this car over the last five years is it's never that simple. Shouldn't have stopped me from at least trying though, as I will tonight and follow up with the results. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Unhooked both + and - batt terminals and no luck. HID's still aren't performing the autolevel sequence. Someone please help... This is starting to drive me nuts.

PS - don't be a dummy like me and have a total brain fart after you unhook your battery...I shut the trunk out of habit! FAIL Good thing I left part of my back seat down so I could get to the emergency release in the trunk.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Did you lock the keys inside?
There is a keyhole hiding back there.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 8,079 Likes on 4,873 Posts

When the front struts were replaced the suspension level sensor was disconnected or broken. Look on the lower control arms for the link rod going to a sensor with a short arm and a wire harness connected.

bob gauff

Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Norri,

Yep put my sockets/wrench right on top of the spare tire when i lifted the cover, and the key was right next to it. Always could have searched for the other key which is somewhere in the house.

Motorcarman,

Thanks for the info I'll take a look underneath as soon as I can get it in the air.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Motorcarman,

You're the man! If you're ever in St. Louis, MO have a couple drinks or a steak dinner on me. They broke the level sensor on the right front just as you indicated. They are ordering another one now and I'm just hoping it will be plug and play and won't require and calibration/computer reset. It doesn't seem like it though. Posted a couple pics showing the plastic arm they broke. Hope they come through ok.

Stype headlights won't autolevel-p1030614forum.jpg

Stype headlights won't autolevel-p1030621forum.jpg