S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subframe Rot

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Subframe Rot

As I have mentioned in a few posts, I am currently working my through my recent acquisition, and today I had the rear wheels off to check out the brakes/Discs and suspension components. They looked OK, but to my horror, I saw that the subframe is completely rotted through in places. I have seen some rusty subframes in the past on cars, but it was always surface rust which looked bad but didn't affect the integrity of the car.

This looks really bad.(see photos). I have done a search through the forum and on the web, and it seems I'm not the only one to have this problem. However, I can't find anywhere, a post say that someone did their own DIY change of the rear subframe. I can't afford to take the car to a garage, so if its not possible for me to do this myself on the drive, the car is probably a write off.

Assuming I could get hold of a decent replacement subframe, is it possible to do this as a DIY job? I'm not a professional mechanic, but I have done all sorts of work on my other two cars, but never a subframe removal and refit.

Has anyone on here done it? I'm clutching at straws now, I had high hopes for this car, she looks really good everywhere else, so I'm a bit gutted by this find.

Attached Thumbnails Subframe Rot-imag0297.jpg   Subframe Rot-imag0301.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Busa (01-21-2017), MWMan (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Having looked at Norri's link, I would say buy a decent used sub-frame and refurbish it before swapping over. But even so that still leaves some work on the cars bodywork.

The following users liked this post:
MWMan (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by MWMan
As I have mentioned in a few posts, I am currently working my through my recent acquisition, and today I had the rear wheels off to check out the brakes/Discs and suspension components. They looked OK, but to my horror, I saw that the subframe is completely rotted through in places. I have seen some rusty subframes in the past on cars, but it was always surface rust which looked bad but didn't affect the integrity of the car.

This looks really bad.(see photos). I have done a search through the forum and on the web, and it seems I'm not the only one to have this problem. However, I can't find anywhere, a post say that someone did their own DIY change of the rear subframe. I can't afford to take the car to a garage, so if its not possible for me to do this myself on the drive, the car is probably a write off.

Assuming I could get hold of a decent replacement subframe, is it possible to do this as a DIY job? I'm not a professional mechanic, but I have done all sorts of work on my other two cars, but never a subframe removal and refit.

Has anyone on here done it? I'm clutching at straws now, I had high hopes for this car, she looks really good everywhere else, so I'm a bit gutted by this find.
Not good...

MWMan (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:52 AM

Thanks guys

Having slept on it overnight, I have decided that the car is going to go. I don't give up on things that easily, but there are a number of circumstances at play which means I'm just not going to be able to put the time, effort and money into such a big job.

I only got the car to take it off my son's hands to help him out (gave him what he paid for it), but I was really hoping I could get the old girl back to some former glory. The only things that would stop that happening were a major engine fault, failed auto box, or ......... major subframe rot. Everything else is easily fixable.

It has been a pleasure being a part of the forum if only for such a short time. Good luck in keeping your cars going for many years.

I may be back on a different section of the forum, if I can just convince the wife to let me spend all our pension money on an XK

Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Its been nice talking to you MWMan and I hope to see you back here in the near future.

MWMan (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 AM

Thankyou. Unlikely, but who knows. I still have plenty to keep me occupied. I have a 2001 Rover 75 Tourer and a 2003 Volvo V70. Both great cars, but lots to do at this age.