S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof leaking. Can't see drainholes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof leaking. Can't see drainholes?

It's been a while since I've posted but here goes.
It rained yesterday and I had some water leak into my car on both sides of the A pillars.It leaked where the airbag covers meet the top of the A pillars. I poured water around the sunroof and found that it drained out behind the tires except for the front passenger side location. I've read where there are drain holes in the four corners of the sunroof but for the life of me I dont seem to see any. Do I have to remove something to see these holes or can I see them just from looking at the top of the open sunroof?
I also did not see any drain tubes sticking out from the bottom of the car in the front. The water appeared to drip from the undercarriage. Do I need to remove something to see the bottom of the drip tubes as well?
Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

I had to blow out my right rear moonroof drain hose a couple of weeks ago to unclog it....

You get to the drain hoses on the moonroof rack by pulling down that side of the headliner. To do that, you must pop out the A-pillar, B-pillar, and C-pillar (for the rear drain hoses), remove the sun visor, remove the grab handles, remove the seat belt nut and harness from the B-pillar, remove the top of the rubber door trim from its channel, and then carefully peel down the side of the headliner until you can stick a small flashlight between the headliner and the roof and find the moonroof drain hoses where they attach to their nozzles. Pull the hose off its nozzle and blow it out with compressed air using a blow-out valve that slides into the hose until it creates a snug fit....

It took me about 30 minutes of careful interior parts removal (paying particular attention to how each piece fits and holds other pieces in place in the process) to get to the right rear moonroof drain hose nozzle I was seeking. It took less than 10 seconds to blow that hose out and clear the years of debris that had created the clog....

Last edited by Jon89; 09-19-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is leaking on the floor behind the driver side seat. What would that be? If I am going to poor water in there what is the best way of doing it so you don't spill all over the interior?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Check this first!

I realise this is a very old thread, but here is one thing to check before you start mucking around with the headlining. It only takes a few minutes to check and if you are lucky and the following is the cause of the leak, it is a really easy fix.

I have been getting a wet floor on the LEFT rear side of the car. I pulled the lining of the boot (trunk) aside and found that, in my car, the drain hose runs behind the CD Changer and then makes a right angle bend through a hole in the bulkhead leading to the drain outlet at the side of the car. I am not sure if the hose has shrunk a bit with age, but for whatever reason it was pulled so tight that the hose was pinched closed where it went through the hole. I was able to do a bit of careful re-routing to give me some slack, plus I wound a plastic spiral around the hose to ensure it can't get pinched again as it goes around the bend.

So far so good - the drain is working again.

The following 2 users liked this post by roger.neill:
JagV8 (04-07-2018), Norri (04-07-2018)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 AM
Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts
Default More Sunroof Adventures

A year down the track from my last sunroof adventure, I was beginning to get a bit overconfident. The floor of the car had remained consistently dry for several months and then, sometime around January, it stopped raining anyway. In early May we had a cloudburst after several months of nothing but dust precipitating out of the sky, and my floor was wet again. Oh No! Not the rear drain again (please)? To my infinite relief, investigation showed the front left drain hose was blocked, not the rear. All of the dust that had been settling on my car for the last six months had obviously been collecting in the sunroof tray and now it had converted itself into mud and blocked the hose.

How to clear it? It wasn't an option to blow it out. An investigation of my shed revealed two metres of 3mm diameter line trimmer cord. Maybe I could use that. In fact it proved to be so effective I thought I would pass on a couple of things I learned:

(1) Borrow a hard plastic straw from your grandson's sippy-cup. This lets you feed the trimmer cord into the drain hole without having to get your fingers inside the guts of the sunroof tray (see photo). It also means you can grip the cord with a pair of pliers without danger of chipping the paint on the roof if you slip.

(2) As you progressively feed the trimmer cord into the hole, lubricate it with dishwashing liquid.

(3) Progressively insert the cord, sliding it in and out a couple of inches at a time. Periodically pull it all the way out to clear the loosened debris out of the hose.

(4) I had to feed the line through the full length of the drain hose (close to two metres) before it cleared.

(5) Once the drain hose was open all the way through, I took advantage of the detergent that was left in the hose by pouring hot water through it. I collected an impressive amount of muddy water to prove how effective this was! (It is quite impressive how much water a clear drain hose can carry away from the sunroof in a very short time.)

(6) As we are now well into the Australian winter, the carpet isn't going to dry itself, so I am now busily blow drying it.

Last edited by roger.neill; 05-13-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Fixing Typos
The following 4 users liked this post by roger.neill:
Arelem (05-15-2019), joycesjag (05-13-2019), Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-10-2022), Reklaw1973 (05-16-2019)