S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super charger removal question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Super charger removal question

If I unbolt the elbow that connects the TB to the SC inlet can it stay there with the EGR and other stuff hooked up and pull the SC out? Seems it would be way easier than getting the EGR unbolted, looks like a nightmare of other stuff to remove to get at the bolts.

Also, what's a cheap and reliable source for parts like gaskets, belts, hoses?

Old 10-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The third SC bolt on the rear is under that elbow. My recent experience with tracking down hoses and gaskets was like a scavenger hunt between dealers, ebay and Amazon with a few jag specialty outlets mixed in.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:18 AM

The third bolt is already out. I was initially just needing to tilt the SC up in the front to remove the water outlet housing, now that I'm this far I'm considering pulling it out entirely just to have a look around. The dreaded hose is fairly new, done by a shop before I bought the car, but I'm untrusting so giving it a look would give me peace of mind. It looked to me like the SC would come out leaving the elbow in place. The couple write-ups I've read all indicate to remove the EGR & other stuff to pull the elbow with the SC so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing or just none of those people tried. I've only searched a couple parts on Ebay and there are good deals, but I've also read there are some parts suppliers the forum likes, might be sponsors, so I thought I'd give one of those a shot.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Unbolting the 4 bolts that hold the elbow on is very tough. Plus going back on they need to be evenly torqued to a very low number.
Have you done it yet?

There are two vacuum hoses that need to be removed and they have a squeeze to release fitting which is another SOB to get off with no room. Don't forget there are two more bolts holding the elbow down to the engine and all that needs to be loose before you tighten anything down. I hope the shop did not cheap out and leave yours off!

So much easier to take the elbow off and on with the SC attached. I know I have done it both ways now.

Did the shop leave that 3rd SC bolt loose or did they leave it out altogether? They should have slotted that back bolt hole as Brutal suggests and leave the 3rd bolt in place but loose.

Consider fixing the P/B vacuum hose fitting because it will be rotten at this point and any movement will give you a vacuum leak which means you get to pull the SC again!

Might look at my repair. I just replaced the SC hose and then caused a vacuum leak in this fitting. I found a great $6 fix because Jaguar does not service this vacuum connection separately and only sells the entire elbow.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-p0174-149418/

I get all my Jaguar parts from Greenville Jaguar. We (Be sure and mention the forum to get the discount) get 15% off factory prices and free shipping if the order is over $75. I talk to Ken Pope. 1-800-927-1680 ask for parts.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbird6:
'05 STR (10-16-2015), Datsports (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Unbolting the 4 bolts that hold the elbow on is very tough. Plus going back on they need to be evenly torqued to a very low number.
Have you done it yet?

There are two vacuum hoses that need to be removed and they have a squeeze to release fitting which is another SOB to get off with no room. Don't forget there are two more bolts holding the elbow down to the engine and all that needs to be loose before you tighten anything down. I hope the shop did not cheap out and leave yours off!

So much easier to take the elbow off and on with the SC attached. I know I have done it both ways now.

Did the shop leave that 3rd SC bolt loose or did they leave it out altogether? They should have slotted that back bolt hole as Brutal suggests and leave the 3rd bolt in place but loose.

Consider fixing the P/B vacuum hose fitting because it will be rotten at this point and any movement will give you a vacuum leak which means you get to pull the SC again!

Might look at my repair. I just replaced the SC hose and then caused a vacuum leak in this fitting. I found a great $6 fix because Jaguar does not service this vacuum connection separately and only sells the entire elbow.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-p0174-149418/

I get all my Jaguar parts from Greenville Jaguar. We (Be sure and mention the forum to get the discount) get 15% off factory prices and free shipping if the order is over $75. I talk to Ken Pope. 1-800-927-1680 ask for parts.
I haven't pulled it yet, and didn't know the elbow was bolted down too. All the bolts were installed, the third bolt was pretty damn tight and not slotted. If I couldn't see that the coolant hose looks pretty new I'd have doubt that they replaced it. The vacuum hose tabs were broken and they used some silicone on them to secure them. The booster hose also has silicone on it at the connection. I was going to re-seal the water outlet hose assuming that was my leak but just discovered one of the EGR coolant hoses is wet, and makes much more sense for the leak I had. There was no trace of coolant in the valley that I could find and the hose is directly above where the leak was coming down. It was only a couple drops here & there but gonna have to get at it somehow, don't look easy.
Thanks for the help!

Old 10-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

We can help for sure! I would not live with the silicone on the vacuum connections it might hold up but it's a major vacuum leak waiting to happen. The brass plumbing fixture I posted is a rock solid cheap repair. I got it from an XK guy and he replied back his repair has been fine for 2+ years now.

If you look at my repair thread above I collected about 8 or 9 of the best threads on changing the SC hose and the auxiliary repairs that it sometimes leads to. Well worth reading before you jump in as the pictures really help.

Do you have the JTIS and JEPC?

I consider both mandatory for a repair of this size. I am a good shade tree mechanic but that SC hose kicked my butt!!!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:25 PM

I don't have JTIS or JEPC, I've seen them mentioned a lot, where can they be had?

I'm tempted to repare the vacuum hose connections and appreciate the tips, but at this point they're solid and i have too many stresses going right now to wanna keep tearing more apart. I know I'm most of the way to having the SC out and maybe I should, but just feeling defeated by life at the moment and can't handle more car issues. If I gotta do it later at least I'll have the knowledge to make it a little easier and hopefully it'll be better timing.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Forum main page, top.

The following users liked this post:
'05 STR (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts
The following users liked this post:
'05 STR (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 AM

Thanks guys.

Speaking of which, I think the 'thank' buttons were there when I first opened the page, came back to it and they were gone; this normal?

Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

They go away once you thank someone, and you have thanked John and myself.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:47 AM

Ahhh yes, obvious....well stop being so damn helpful!

All the other forums I'm on it seems I spend all day answering stuff. Being new to the Jag I'm delighted I get to switch rolls.