S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 08:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger alignment issue

Need help with a strange situation. I removed Supercharger from my STR due to a leak on my fuel rail. I sent S/C out for rebuild while I had it apart.

On reinstall, the belt tensioner will not take slack out of drive belt. The drive belt, tensioner, and pulleys were NOT removed. The S/C rebuild guy confirms no change to S/C drive pulley.

I confirmed that the rear tab of the S/C was under the hidden bolt (under the Throttle Body Elbow) and the Spacer bar was in place under the front of the S/C.

I cannot find the cause of the change to the belt path length. It seems like the S/C Pulley Centerline is low. Any suggestions?

More info:

The Spacer bar under front of S/C is about 41mm high. It was not modified.
The belt tensioner does not want to come off at all. I have not seen a need to break it loose since it seems to be bottoming out on itself.
I did not remove the throttle body elbow but worked around and under it to access the rear S/C hold-down bolt. This strained the elbow mounting bracket but things aligned well enough to insert and tighten 4 bolts holding elbow to rear of supercharger.
I did slot the S/C rear flange to aid reassembly as suggested in prior posts.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 310 Posts

I do not have the SC version yet - but if the seller nearby would not have been too stupid to understand my very clear question:
"My wife gave me free hands - Thus, at which price do we have a deal?" And his answer was that no decision will be made any time soon.... - I would have bought an STR TODAY!...
The problem was, what he did not have sufficient brain to understand that I would even pay his asking price - But that went very wrong.
A day after, someone agreed more clearly on his asking price, the STR (with 99k km on the clock) was put on hold, and the buyer "flew in" today to buy it.
It should have been mine...

Anyway: I looked at your question and picture, and this was quite an easy riddle for me. I looked at the belt, and saw immediately, where you went wrong, and I then confirmed it on a picture of a SC engine.

So you want to have your belt routed as such:

See also:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/i2oAA...xuM/s-l300.jpg

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 09-27-2023 at 07:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
Millarjs (09-27-2023), motorcarman (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 09:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You are so right! Duh…
thank you.

They should not put amateurs like me on the job…