Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger removal/coolant leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

@staatsof,
From some jaguar documents I read halvoline XLC was used, to which I have sticked. Jaguar actually now has extended the flush interval to 10 years with this type of coolant.
Not sure what caused the issues in the past on other cars, though it could have something to do with the coolant system design. I have never heard of any issues with our jaguars.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Dyno Bob's "Snake Bite" is for the blower alone. I can see how one may miscontrue his advertisemsnt to include the rest of the intake: "Send intake plenum and throttle body too" can confuse one to send all. I may send my blower to Stiegiemeyer but shadowing ttwotees for his results. We owe him a great thanks for stepping up and going for it without any insight of an STR experiencing this project.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree that the claim of 50% increase in boost sounds very high and I don't expect
we will see that much. I'm making arrangements to do a couple of dyno pulls later
this week.

Obviously, I don't know a lot about tuning or forced air induction, so I ask a lot of
what may seem dumb questions, but that's how I learn, so can someone tell me how
is the air/fuel ratio adjusted or is it strictly controlled by the ECU ? Does the ECU
have to be flashed to make adjustments ? Doesn't anybody make a tuning kit for
our Jags except those in England ?

I intend to measure boost, HP, and air/fuel.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 AM

Dex Cool is the type of anti-freeze used in Jaguars, hence the orange color - to the
best of my knowledge, however there are many much more informed Jag owners on
this forum who may take exception to that.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Default Snake Bite for the blower only

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Dyno Bob's "Snake Bite" is for the blower alone. I can see how one may miscontrue his advertisemsnt to include the rest of the intake: "Send intake plenum and throttle body too" can confuse one to send all. I may send my blower to Stiegiemeyer but shadowing ttwotees for his results. We owe him a great thanks for stepping up and going for it without any insight of an STR experiencing this project.
True, the Snake Bite is only for the blower. The gearing in the snout is
changed to increase the boost with the stock pulley, but the porting is
where I feel the other parts were implied to be included. I think it simply
means I did not have enough contact with Bob to determine exactly what
was included. my bad.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 AM

I don't think it's too much to ask that acronyms be spelled out once in each article.
Usually there aren't that many used in one post anyway, but it sure helps in the
understanding of what someone is trying to say. If someone is not willing to explain
their abbreviations, then to those who don't know the definition, the writer is writing
gibberish.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The same applies to any jargon word. I look up the jargon I don't understand. That's what dictionaries are for.

Heck, that applies to quite a few US English words that appear on here!

Oh, US is United States. You forgot to define HP and ECU. See how silly it can get?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
@staatsof,
From some jaguar documents I read halvoline XLC was used, to which I have sticked. Jaguar actually now has extended the flush interval to 10 years with this type of coolant.
Not sure what caused the issues in the past on other cars, though it could have something to do with the coolant system design. I have never heard of any issues with our jaguars.
I guess I better check up on what Halvoline XLC is.

When I bought my used 2500 99 7.4L Suburban for towing I got involved in the big SUV world and they all got rid of the DEX-Cool stuff. Try a google on that and you'll see all the people involved in law suites or issues with the cooling systems on GM cars. Gm cannot have misdeigned that many cooling systems. If figured better safe than sorry and I did have a corroded fitting on the intake manifold that started leaking at 89K miles.
Maybe it was a materials combination thing and electolosis with this coolant and they've figured that out by now?

I just use the long life stuff from Prestone over here and I flush it every 3-4 years.

Bob S.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Did some investigation some years ago, and all I can conlcude is that the Jaguar cooling system works very well with the dexcool (/havoline XLC, same stuff). So will continue to use this without any doubts.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

They should be instrumenting for more than that for your dyno runs and you'll get a printout with all the figures possibly some data on a CD that you can analize on your PC with a reader program. Ask about that first.

The guy operating this should also be watching out for your engine so that you don't go off the charts on F/A ratio or temps. That's why an experienced tuner (supercharger experience) is a really good idea. They usually want to put a couple bungs in your exhaust close to the headers to insert a wideband lamda sensor. I'm not sure how you do that on this car? A temperature probe there would also be good to make sure it's not getting too hot.

The question is what do you do if the engine needs F/A adjustment.
I don't know if the existing map (tells the engine what to do under which conditions) in the ECU can handle that sort of bump in pressure or if it will throw codes or what?

You can't be the first person who's done this on a S-Type R?

Bob S.

Originally Posted by ttwotees
I agree that the claim of 50% increase in boost sounds very high and I don't expect
we will see that much. I'm making arrangements to do a couple of dyno pulls later
this week.

Obviously, I don't know a lot about tuning or forced air induction, so I ask a lot of
what may seem dumb questions, but that's how I learn, so can someone tell me how
is the air/fuel ratio adjusted or is it strictly controlled by the ECU ? Does the ECU
have to be flashed to make adjustments ? Doesn't anybody make a tuning kit for
our Jags except those in England ?

I intend to measure boost, HP, and air/fuel.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

The leading sensors are already wide-band so if they have a clue with electronics (* see below) they can connect into them. Temperature sensors...... good point. There aren't any of those in the exhaust.

It's said that during WOT the OBD system stops reporting the O2 sensors, and I'm working on the basis that's true (don't see why it would be but let's say it is, otherwise you could just read them using OBD).

You probably want to monitor IAT2, also. My suspicion is that ECT/EOT are not going to be much use but that's a guess.

* I understand they would need to connect a (very) high impedance device (this would be true for all WB sensors, not just on an STR)

Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
They should be instrumenting for more than that for your dyno runs and you'll get a printout with all the figures possibly some data on a CD that you can analize on your PC with a reader program. Ask about that first.

The guy operating this should also be watching out for your engine so that you don't go off the charts on F/A ratio or temps. That's why an experienced tuner (supercharger experience) is a really good idea. They usually want to put a couple bungs in your exhaust close to the headers to insert a wideband lamda sensor. I'm not sure how you do that on this car? A temperature probe there would also be good to make sure it's not getting too hot.

The question is what do you do if the engine needs F/A adjustment.
I don't know if the existing map (tells the engine what to do under which conditions) in the ECU can handle that sort of bump in pressure or if it will throw codes or what?

You can't be the first person who's done this on a S-Type R?

Bob S.
Don't worry, see my previous post, the ECU is capable of handling the extra boost, and the mixture will be very rich to compensate for the extra heat:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...9&postcount=76

Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
The leading sensors are already wide-band so if they have a clue with electronics (* see below) they can connect into them. Temperature sensors...... good point. There aren't any of those in the exhaust.

It's said that during WOT the OBD system stops reporting the O2 sensors, and I'm working on the basis that's true (don't see why it would be but let's say it is, otherwise you could just read them using OBD).
For normal OBDII readers the ECU will indeed block sending the wide band O2 sensor under WOT (also the autenginuity one), but for the WDS/IDS it is still available, very usefull if you have such a device ;-).

Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

oh

Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

My race car doesn't have OBDII it's circa 1995 and uses the Weber Marelli system so you have to capture everything yourself directly. I have an on-board data logger (after a fashion) so I can collect a bit of data after each session and then analyze with a nice piece of software. I usually send the data files to my tuner directly from the track when we've made any changes. That part is nice.

Glad to hear you don't think it's going to need a re-map. But if it's running that rich is this thing going to to be using too much gas at times as well or just when the hammer is down?

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-27-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

You can always use an wide band afr(air to fuel ratio) gauge like i have in the nissan from auto meter. Then you can see real time whats afr's you actually are getting as you drive on the street. I have had to have a couple issues fixed going real lean on part throttle accels and 1 spot around 65mph cruise. You wont see these on a dyno. You could probobly tap into the factory o2 but it was easier to weld in a bung for me to mount the sensor..problem is, this is 1 bank and anyone thats tunes for cylinder to cylinder balance like the guys at enginelogics in houston will tell you. The only true way to see each cylinder is with an exhaust temp probe in each exhaust port. Otherwise all a single or dual o2 sensor will tell you is "bank info" you can always have 1 cylinder lean or rich and never see it. If its bad enough like to lean, youll torch the piston, rich will just kill power. As avos was talking about the factory afrs' you will see as very very rich 10and 11to 1 afrs is not uncommon as the added fuel under boost cools the cylinders and wards off detonation. This is where tuning really helps as the factory is looking for mass public useage and not squeezing out another 25hp from a more precise tune to increase performance

Old 07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

For tuning I think a bank quite enough. For detecting a problem with your fuel circuit components on an individual basis you're correct. One for every cylinder. That's pretty hard for people with these cars to do.

So are you of the same opinion that for the supercharger bump up kits like this the factory map can adequately handle it?

I wonder if the Snake Bite mod makes the blower any noisier? Whereas the one being discussed by Avos is actually quieter?

Precious few people are going to put in a data logging system like I did for my race car but I do know a few nut cases that did it for their street cars. You have to wonder if they ever do anything with the information though.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I think the factory ecu, and fuel pumps are more than up to the task....until you go to a larger blower, change cam timing or something else that would really jack with the ecu's ability with base mapping. Youre not gonna run out of fuel or have issue with a smaller pulley and porting until you change the size of the blower and really up the boost. You just arent gonna push the mp112(eaton blower model/size) past the stock capabilty. If you do, youll be over speeding the blower and any benefit will be lost with heat generation, and blower wear which will eventually cause a loss of boost. Just like turning up turbo boost, there is a point of no return and only increased wear and tear with no reward.
If it were mine i would have gone from 0-60 inn 2 seconds and be talking with avos about just swpping into the kenne bell twin screw. Yes alot more money, but when compared to $/hp a better choice for me. Im already pretty much at this exact situation with my nissan truck.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I feel a little more at ease now.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
The same applies to any jargon word. I look up the jargon I don't understand. That's what dictionaries are for.

Heck, that applies to quite a few US English words that appear on here!

Oh, US is United States. You forgot to define HP and ECU. See how silly it can get?
I wasn't talking about jargon words and acronyms aren't in a dictionary. Many of the
acronyms used here, most everybody knows, but I think each person knows what is
in common useage and what is not. I think we've beat this cow to death now. I'm
done.

Quick Reply: Supercharger removal/coolant leak repair