Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger removal/coolant leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I wonder if the Snake Bite mod makes the blower any noisier?

Just spinning the blower faster will already add noise (which some actually like). Porting will also add to extra noise, and last but not least adding extra gearing will also add additional noise. Best would be to wait on the results from ttwotees and qwiketz when it comes to blower wine.

Agree fully with Brutal, Jaguar has provided a very large safety margin which is more than likely saving lots of (modified) engines, so take care with trying to fine tune the ECU.

So far I haven't event tuned my, so I can still run relatively safe different setups, until I know which one I will settle with. Have also been playing with the idea of having temp sensors around the sparkplugs to try to get an idea what the temps per cylinder could be, when time permits...

Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Avos, did you switch to exhaust headers on your setup, or are you still running stock manifolds? If you already posted this I missed it, so bear with me please.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Am still using the stock headers, it would just be too much effort/cost imho not worth it as I do not expect any significant gains. So far I really like the sports catalysts in combination with my stock exhaust, nor regarding any possible gains, but for the noise.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Write up

Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM

I'm in the middle of this fix right now but trying to confirm the coolant lines. Can anyone confirm that the coolant hose goes from under the supercharger, to the throttle body, from the throttle body to the EGR, then the EGR to what? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger removal/coolant leak repair-2003%2520s-type%2520r%2520engine-valley%2520with%2520coolant%2520hose.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Just to confirm for others. Goes from EGR to the pipe above the supercharger snout. Other outlet from pipe above supercharger snout goes to overflow tank.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Have you notice any real power gains? Have you had it in a dyno yet? My car too is having a major leak, and I believe it might be from the hose under the SC, so I was thinking to port the SC and change the pulley... Let me know how it feels, I will like to know your opinion!

JG

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Question How do you remove the support bracket bolts to remove the intake elbow?

Do any of you have some advice on how to remove the torx bolts that retain the mounting bracket behind the intake elbow casting? By intake elbow I mean the casting on which the throttle body is mounted. That casting seems to be fastened by the bracket. That will be my next step and I can't see how I will fit any tools under the flange.

I'm in the middle of trying to remove the EGR bolts right now. It has proven very difficult in my car as the bolts seem to be siezed. I stripped the stud for the lower EGR tube mounting flange just trying to turn the nut. Yes, I used a penetrating lubricant to loosen things up.

BTW...

After weeks of trying to work with a local supplier of silicone hoses to copy and improve upon the stock "evil leaking coolant hose" design, it turned out that it would require too much time/money/design on my part to tool it up and make it happen. Besides, they weren't very enthusiastic about anything Jaguar, even though I mentioned this could be the fix for nearly every supercharged Jag from 2003-2008. They weren't very interested. In the meantime, my car started leaking you know where.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Once you get the hose out could you please post a good photo of where the failure point is on the hose? I've seen only one so far but the thinking is that it's always in that short section after the size transition.

Good luck with the rest of the repair. Maybe a pm to Brutal is in order to get his attention for a possible answer to this which hopefully is posted on this thread.

Also, what's the mileage on your car?
I see it's a 2004 so it's been in service for 7 years?

Originally Posted by Classic_Engr
Do any of you have some advice on how to remove the torx bolts that retain the mounting bracket behind the intake elbow casting? By intake elbow I mean the casting on which the throttle body is mounted. That casting seems to be fastened by the bracket. That will be my next step and I can't see how I will fit any tools under the flange.

I'm in the middle of trying to remove the EGR bolts right now. It has proven very difficult in my car as the bolts seem to be siezed. I stripped the stud for the lower EGR tube mounting flange just trying to turn the nut. Yes, I used a penetrating lubricant to loosen things up.

BTW...

After weeks of trying to work with a local supplier of silicone hoses to copy and improve upon the stock "evil leaking coolant hose" design, it turned out that it would require too much time/money/design on my part to tool it up and make it happen. Besides, they weren't very enthusiastic about anything Jaguar, even though I mentioned this could be the fix for nearly every supercharged Jag from 2003-2008. They weren't very interested. In the meantime, my car started leaking you know where.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-04-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 PM

I pushed through and finally removed the supercharger last night. Getting the 8mm hex bolts for the EGR valve off was a bit frustrating at first. I nearly rounded one hex off due to a slightly bad angle of attack with my socket. You have to be perfectly straight-on with the hex or your 8MM socket will slip and deform the hex head. The biggest frustration came afterward when removing the EGR and exhaust tube assembly from the engine bay. The wiring harness is perfectly in the way of a simple, straight-up pull to extract it.

The driver's side bolt for the intake elbow rear support bracket required a 1/4" drive long 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet with a steel tube on it for additional leverage. A 3/8" drive long socket and ratchet will not fit. You also need to pry back the plastic harness shrould to allow clearance for the socket to mount the hex head.

I took several photos along the way and will post them soon. I'm adding a little power as long as I have everything apart. More details coming...

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 10-04-2011 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
StypeRowner (10-04-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Thumbs up I'm finally DONE!

Some notes.

After working on my car in a shop for a few hours every night, I finally finished around midnight last night. Overall I installed:

1. The infamous throttle body coolant return hose, with an expensive thermal sleeve for protection. I also removed the sound insulation under the supercharger. It was pressing the original hose into the head gasket tab, cutting the hose. The original hose was leaking at that point and at the usual point, just past the large port connector. Removing the sound insulator should also allow for more airflow and cooling under the supercharger. Photos incoming!
2. New EGR cooling hoses, clamps, and gaskets.
3. New EGR tube studs to the exhaust manifold (the original broke--such fun to remove and install! @#$%!)
4. New EGR bolts (old ones were corroded, hex heads were rounded).
5. The plastic vacuum tube at the intake elbow casting for the brake master, (the original broke) and...
6. The brass insert press-fit into the intake elbow casting for that plastic vacuum tube. The locking plastic insert inside of it cracked. I had to machine a simple tool to tap the brass insert out of the casting. Photos incoming. Why Jaguar couldn't use a simple, regular steel tube port for this I just don't know.
7. New reinforced hose at the throttle bypass for the supercharger.
8. All new supercharger, throttle body, and thermostat manifold gaskets and O-rings.
9. A new supercharger belt. A challenge to install as it is .100" thicker than the original.
10. New coolant reservoir tank and mating hoses.
11. New thermostat and O-ring.
12. Two other cooling hoses and the top radiator hose.
13. New supercharger electric water pump and hose.
14. New oil and filter.

I did everthing by the book (thanks to Mitchell) and followed the installation procedures as well as the supercharger cooling system refill procedure to the letter. I also cleaned the engine bay as best as possible before re-assembly. Oh yes, there was one more thing...

14. A new 1.5lb supercharger pulley. WOW! Talk about a wake up call! Worth every...last...penny...in the first 15 minutes of driving late last night. Cold, moist night air didn't hurt either.

I can't really recommend trying this repair at home if you want to do it right, especially if your car has over 45k miles like mine. Several items behind the supercharger were aged, corroded, and brittle, causing them to break upon removal. Replacement of many of those parts was no joy. I have access to a complete race shop and machine shop with a lathe, and I needed it. Having the car on a lift made everything easier. And you spill coolant everywhere, of course.

Thanks to ttwotees and the other bloggers for their previous posts on this repair. I could not have done it without your posts and photos. Per the Mitchell book, this is how you remove the EGR valve: "Remove 2 bolts under EGR. Remove 2 nuts at exhaust tube." Hmmm. Leaves much to be desired.

I took several notes and photos along the way. I just need some rest before I organize it all for posting.

CHEERS!

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 10-12-2011 at 05:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Classic_Engr:
Hotshoe (02-05-2012), JagV8 (10-12-2011), Norri (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Scary.
Thanks, though.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Looking forward to the pics and write up,

Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Did we ever get pics?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Heck I wish ttwotees would come back and talk about the Snakebite blower porting he had done!!

He roasted the motor right after the install and then quit posting so maybe sold the car after all his bad luck??

Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm guessing the coolant hose in question is aj89746?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

That's the part number I have. The hose matches what others have posted.

03Xtype (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Default Thanks for the reminder...

Between running my own business, taking on a 4th client that is developing a new hydrogen fuel technology, and our new baby boy, I let this slip to the bottom of my to-do list. That the computer I saved all the photos on failed and was recalled by HP didn't help. Luckily I backed up everything on a separate hard-drive, so nothing was lost.

Let me sort through the photos again. I also have more photos I'd like to post on this site, including great shots I took of Paul Gentilozzi and the RSR XKR-S GT2 American LeMans race car at Long Beach.

I will make it my 1st quarter personal goal to post it all.

StypeRowner (04-06-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic_Engr
Between running my own business, taking on a 4th client that is developing a new hydrogen fuel technology, and our new baby boy, I let this slip to the bottom of my to-do list. That the computer I saved all the photos on failed and was recalled by HP didn't help. Luckily I backed up everything on a separate hard-drive, so nothing was lost.

Let me sort through the photos again. I also have more photos I'd like to post on this site, including great shots I took of Paul Gentilozzi and the RSR XKR-S GT2 American LeMans race car at Long Beach.

I will make it my 1st quarter personal goal to post it all.
I was wondering too? I want to see where exactly that hose failed. I've only seen one thus far and it was a burst failure in the shorter larger size section.

I just know that this failure has my cursing, foul mouthed scream written all over it if I keep this car long enough.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Heck I wish ttwotees would come back and talk about the Snakebite blower porting he had done!!

He roasted the motor right after the install and then quit posting so maybe sold the car after all his bad luck??
he's around and still has the car. he emails me every now and then.

Quick Reply: Supercharger removal/coolant leak repair