S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

surging??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surging??????

Any one come across their STR surging in between 30 and 50 MPH. It's around a 100 RPM surge that is very annoying. I thought it was the tranny acting up going in-between 4 to 5 or 5 to 6 gear but I can bump it down manually and it still does it. Only happens when your easy on the gas and goes away after afew miles. Any thoughts, thanks

Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: surging??????

I think 03JagSTR or MigaSTR told me that this is what was happening right before their converter took a crap... I'm having the same problem with my car... surging with cruise control on at around 40-70 and at partial throttle.. luckily my warranty covers the converter and everything else in the tranny.. so now I guess its just a waiting game to see when and where it blows...

Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Yep, sounds like the torque converter. mine started at 43k miles i abused it till it finally went and my select edition covered it.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah its the TQ. mine did it when i first got it. it would happen right hwen id take it out of the garage in the morning for the first 15 mins or so. You dont have to wait for it to fail just take it in now and get it done. its so annoying!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 PM

How much is it to get done, no warranty. How hard is the job to do yourself on the STR. Thanks again for all the help

Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

id guess to say it could easily set you back $2k-$3k and im guessing its pretty hard to do by yourself, sorry i dont know exactly

Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Its a V8 so it should be somewhat doable by yourself.. but it your not used to modern cars, you could easily start breaking things left and right if your not careful.. possibly requires removing the exhaust, definitely dropping the driveshaft, unbolting the tranny, and a bunch of other stuff... probably the easiest way to test to make sure its the converter is to perform a stall test.. Basically footbraking the car, hitting the gas and seeing what RPM the engine will hold at..If it is lower than spec, the torque converter one-way clutch is slipping. If the stall is higher than spec, the transmission is slipping. I just don't know what the factory specifies for our cars... but I'm sure someone does? maybe BRUTAL?

The problem with both of our cars sounds like the converter... but if your paying for the repair yourself, I would not be in any rush to do it cause it ain't gonna be cheap.... [X(]

Old 11-18-2008, 08:15 AM

I may call around to a few different foreign autoshops and get some quotes, Jaguar dealer probably wants way to much, I will call and get a quote anyway. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: whiteSTR

I think 03JagSTR or MigaSTR told me that this is what was happening right before their converter took a crap... I'm having the same problem with my car... surging with cruise control on at around 40-70 and at partial throttle.. luckily my warranty covers the converter and everything else in the tranny.. so now I guess its just a waiting game to see when and where it blows...
Mine started doing it last month. It only does it in the morning and after work while the car's been sitting for several hours. If I let the car warm up it doesn't do it. However, if I hop in the car and take off it does it every time.
I guess I'll have to start booking a time at the jaguar dealership.

I have a question though... I have the extended warranty and I need to know if you guys had to pay anything. I took the car in a few months ago and they charged me $200 for diagnostic fees. Even though I gave them the TSB's and practically told them what was wrong.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

THERES A PROBLEM WITH THAT TRANS WITH THE CONVERTOR AT TIMES, IT EITHER THE ORING ON THE END OF THE INPUT SHAFT THAT APPLIES OIL TO THE CONVERTOR LOCKUP CLUTCH, AND OR THE CLUTCH ITSELF IN THE TORQUE CONVERTOR, MANY TIMES IT FLAGS A P0741 FOR THIS BUT NOT ALWAYS.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Usually what they do is apply your diagnostic fee to the repairs.. So if you pay them $200 for diag. and the repair is $500 as long as you have the repairs done with them, the $500 bill will eat the $200 fee, and then you stick your warranty with the $500 service bill and you pay nothing... thats how I've always done it at least.. I think its pretty standard...

But no dealership will perform work without the 1-2 hour diagnostic BS, even though it only takes an experienced tech 5-10 minutes to find the problem... its just their insurance policy so when they give you the $2000 estimate and you say "Hell NO!" they still made a little money so it wasn't a complete waste.. [>:]

Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 PM

NOW WHILE SOME THINGS ARE EASY AS YOU SAY WHITE, NOT EVERYTHING IS. AND THEN THERES THE GROCERY LISTS FROM CUSTOMERS THAT THINK YOU SHOULD DIAG EVERYTHING FOR AN HOUR,,,AND ITS NO WONDER MY ANNUAL PAY IS DOWN TO WHAT IT WAS 10 YRS AGO

Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Point taken brutal, there are some customer that are basket cases... but others that just bring in their car and ask for a new power steering pump and the dealer will want to diagnose the old one for two hours.. That's my only qualm about the whole diagnosis deal is that when the customer just asks for one thing to be fixed and says exactly what it is... why do they still want to diagnose things?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM

i have had this issue for almost 2 years and almost 40k miles, now at 65k, dealer heard about this couple times from me, was never able to "reproduce it" even left the car overnight so they get a cold start in the morning, but they had no luck.

I am not supprised, this only happens when the car is driven at steady throttle, gently on a flat surface, the gorillas at my dealership always bring my avg mpg to 13 when the car stays there so i don't expect much of them.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Well after what tomciob's reply my question now is if you don't beat the car, is this just an annoying problem or is my torque converter going to crap out at any time? How long will these torque converters last once our cars start with this surge?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: dgantt

Well after what tomciob's reply my question now is if you don't beat the car, is this just an annoying problem or is my torque converter going to crap out at any time? How long will these torque converters last once our cars start with this surge?
IF< IF IF thats the problem, theres a vin break for early models needing only an oring on the input shaft, and later ones to replace the convertor. BUT DO NOT confuse a steady state surge from convertor engage/disengage with coild misfires that will cause surging during different loads and cruising and this is alot more of the complaints I see, than for a convertor problem

Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Are there any performance converters for the ZF 6HP26 ?? maybe a higher stall? or is that a bad idea?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 AM

If it was a misfire on a coil would that throw a code? Thanks for the reply's.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 AM

WHTSTR, THERE ARE MANY STOCK AND PERFORMANCE CONVERTOR COMPANIES THAT CAN CUT OPEN ANY CONVERTOR AND TUNE IT TO YOUR NEEDS. IE INCREASE STALL THROUGH BENDING FINS. LIKE NEIL CHANCE,TCI, PTC ETC, WHAT HAS IT BEEN THAT LONG SINCE YOU TOUCHED PERFORMANCE DOMESTICS
AND DGANTT, NO COILS MISFIRE ALL THE TIME AND DO NOT THROW CODES, AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE A JAGUAR GENRAD GDS510 HANDHELD SCANNER AND KNOW HOW TO FIND MISFIRE COUNTS IN NONCOUNTINOUS MONITORING, AND THEN NOW ALL YRS AND MODELS PULL UP. BUT WITHOUT THIS INFO THERES NO EASY ACCRAUTE WAY TO TELL WHICH COILS ARE MIFIRING, WHICH IS WHY MANY TIMES QUOTES FOR ALL COILS ARE DONE. AND THIS SCANNER IS NO LONGER AVAIL SO IF A DEALER DOESNT HAVE IT THEY NOT GETTING ONE EITHER. EVERYTIME I LOOK AT MISFIRES COUNTS IT SHOWS ANYTHING FROM A HANDFULL TO 1000'S PER COIL THATS AFFECTED, THE ONES THAT ARE OK SHOW ZERO, SO BEFORE YOU RUN TO A DEALER CALL TO FIND OUT IF THEY HAVE A GENRAD HANDHELD, OTHERWISE THEYRE GUESSING CAUSE IVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER SCANNED, IDS, WDS ETC THAT CAN PULL THIS MONITORING PARAMETER

Quick Reply: surging??????