S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching back to good ol' 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 8,106 Likes on 4,891 Posts

I won't buy chewing gum even if it was only licked.
Contamination is contamination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Used motor oil is basically useless unless you just want to pour it on a rusted part or bicycle chain.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Wuzupez (05-04-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Used is used ! A waste ? I disagree, itll be recycled and sold again, I dont understand the anger and judgement with my dissatisfaction of T6 and the right to reimbursement, I work hard and earn the money I spend and I refuse to waste my money on a product that I am not satisfied with, if their policy stated that there is no return in such circumstances that would be fine, id cut my losses. However it does not state that anywhere, and they do accept returns. I will exercise my rights !!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I'd be agitated if I were to purchase the 43.7ish mile motor oil assuming it was new and not used.

Especially when I had thought that I was prepared to do an oil change. Have the vehicle on jack stands, drained oil, changed filter then go to fill it up with opened "new" oil containers. I will not say on this forum what I would be calling the SOB that returned the frickin' 43.7ish mile motor oil!

Ahhh assumptions !! and jeezz thanks for the kind words sir, and they would not re stock opened canisters of engine oil that have been used, regardless of the amount of use. It will be most likely returned to the manufacturer or simply recycled.

If you were unhappy with an engine oil in your vehicle and developed concerns regarding it, what would you do ? Gladly continue driving and ignore abnormal sounds and feels ?? I highly doubt that anyone of us would continue driving blindly and not change the oil, now whether you keep/recycle/return/or finger paint with that used oil is your business.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

I do think that returning used oil is really a big stretch, but if Wal-Mart knew it was used and still agreed to exchange it, can't see a problem with that. The real problem would arise if Wal-Mart were to re-sell the oil as new, and that is unlikely.

Many big retailers have a no-questions-asked return policy, and that's one of the ways they go about building their market share. Used or defective returns are either sent back to the manufacturer or sold at a discount to other smaller resellers who in turn resell it as "used" or "refurbished" at a much lower price.

It's my experience that retailers like Wal-Mart, Costco and Home Depot are always very competitive, in spite of their policy of returns-without-question. And while the thought of buying 6 liters of high-quality, slightly used motor oil for maybe $8 does not appeal to me, it will appeal to someone.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambunctious Jaguar
Ahhh assumptions !! and jeezz thanks for the kind words sir, and they would not re stock opened canisters of engine oil that have been used, regardless of the amount of use. It will be most likely returned to the manufacturer or simply recycled.

If you were unhappy with an engine oil in your vehicle and developed concerns regarding it, what would you do ? Gladly continue driving and ignore abnormal sounds and feels ?? I highly doubt that anyone of us would continue driving blindly and not change the oil, now whether you keep/recycle/return/or finger paint with that used oil is your business.
Let me try to explain my position, possibly it's the same view point of others here who have commented.

In this and your other thread, you mentioned 'engine noises' and a proposed attempt to cure them by switching oil viscosity/type/brand. It was made clear here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...81/#post960497

That this was a waste of time. There were other recommendations that changing out oil at 5,000 miles was already a waste, possibly more so since you already had a synthetic installed. There is no requirement or a factory recomendation to use synthetic oil in this car. The standard change interval is 10,000 mile.

The switch to the new oil predictably made no difference to the 'engine noises'. Further information indicated that these noises might just be normal injector clicking. This means that it was indeed a waste of time switching oil and also means that there's nothing wrong with the new oil. Again, others have used this same oil and have had no issue with it.

It's OK to perform experiments using your own nickel on your own car, but not using the money of others irrespective of whether it's a huge company like Walmart where you can pull a fast one and get away with it.

My 2 cents.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
It's OK to perform experiments using your own nickel on your own car, but not using the money of others irrespective of whether it's a huge company like Walmart where you can pull a fast one and get away with it.
That's a bit rough. He was up-front with Wal-Mart about the oil being used, and it was their decision to take back the oil. Now, if he re-sealed the container before returning it...

Old 04-28-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
That's a bit rough. He was up-front with Wal-Mart about the oil being used, and it was their decision to take back the oil. Now, if he re-sealed the container before returning it...
Possibly a bit rough but better than me launching into a 'what's wrong with today's youth' rant.

I just think it's wrong to jerk around a retailer irrespective of what loopholes there are in a return policy.

Would it be OK to use the oil for the full 10K mile interval and return it for a refund because 'I'm not satisfied'? According to what I understand of their policy, Walmart would still accept it.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Give the OP a break.

Walmart, QVC and many other retailers have a "no questions asked" return policy regardless of what product you bought and later returned. Don't like something you bought? Return it within xx number of days, no problems. What's not to like about this policy and why not use it when necessary?

The OP bought motor oil - but it could just as easily have been shoes or a computer or detergent - which he determined after using did not suit his needs. How else would he know if he didn't use it? He packaged it back up, took it back to Walmart and requested a refund. It didn't matter to Walmart that the product was oil and not shoes. Kudos to Walmart. It's good business and makes customers like me more willing to shop there. Note that the OP didn't package his old oil in the new containers and return with the intent of ripping Walmart off. If he did, I'd be first in line to kick his *ss.

The problem for many Forum posters here is that, in this case, the product IS motor oil and not shoes. If I read correctly, someone in this thread suggested that Walmart might actually put it back on the shelf for resale - a reprehensible act if it were done. But that wouldn't be the fault of the OP; that would be Walmart's fault wouldn't it? So why give the OP such a hard time?

Although Walmart *might* put shoes back on the rack and resell them, most likely they have a different disposal plan in the case of returned motor oil. As a savvy business, Walmart will recoup as much of their $$ as possible without stooping to reselling used oil as new to unsuspecting customers; they'll probably sell it to oil re-manufacturers or maybe return it to the manufacturer as defective. Any loss Walmart incurs in this transaction is absorbed by Walmart, and their retail prices go up as a result. Sadly, we Walmart customers pay the penalty for ANY returns in which they incur a loss.

One of the earlier posters was trying to make that point. Got it. How about we move on and give the OP a break?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Sadly, we Walmart customers pay the penalty for ANY returns in which they incur a loss.
This was my original point. The returned oil was not defective in any way so Walmart cannot pass the buck to anyone else except other shoppers.

Time to move on.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Aside from the ethical question of returning used oil, the T6 5W40 is a perfectly fine oil in the proposed application and would not in and of itself cause the noted change. In fact being slightly thicker than the 5W30, it would be the other way around.

Now, the OP had a question above that indicates he is unsure as to what oil level is currently in the car ... hint: the question about capacity.

Low oil level *will* cause odd behaviour.

... so would buying and using a jug of "T6" that was returned with something else in the jug by a previous customer.

What goes around comes around.

++

Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
The problem for many Forum posters here is that, in this case, the product IS motor oil and not shoes.
Walmart does not issue refunds on intimate apparel, nor do most stores.

Opened CD/DVD/software/medicine don't qualify for refunds either.

Nor do they issue refunds for used sanitary napkins. Regardless of level of use.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

What's to stop someone buying oil from there and filling the containers with their old stuff and taking that back.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by police666
What's to stop someone buying oil from there and filling the containers with their old stuff and taking that back.
Nothing. Theoretically, you could buy a suit, wear it to the prom, and return it Monday for a full refund (providing it doesn't have barf all over it) lol.

Evidently, that's a risk Walmart is willing to take. Ultimately, the cost of these returns is factored into their prices, so Walmart loses nothing by offering such a liberal return policy so long as people continue to shop there. As Mikey indicated above, retailers pass these costs to their customers.

FWIW - Notwithstanding their generous return policy, Walmart has pretty good prices.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Aside from the ethical question of returning used oil, the T6 5W40 is a perfectly fine oil in the proposed application and would not in and of itself cause the noted change. In fact being slightly thicker than the 5W30, it would be the other way around.

Now, the OP had a question above that indicates he is unsure as to what oil level is currently in the car ... hint: the question about capacity.

Low oil level *will* cause odd behaviour.

... so would buying and using a jug of "T6" that was returned with something else in the jug by a previous customer.

What goes around comes around.

++
My oil level is fine and remains fine just introducing a change of topic

Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 PM

I understand your view points and respect them, I don't appreciate the nature behind them. I am just exercising my right as a walmart consumer. You don't blame your peers for raising insurance rates I suppose do you ??

Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rambunctious Jaguar
I understand your view points and respect them, I don't appreciate the nature behind them. I am just exercising my right as a walmart consumer. You don't blame your peers for raising insurance rates I suppose do you ??
Now that you mention it, insurance premiums are already quite bloated covering the cost of bogus and frivolous claims. The industry spends millions trying to weed them out.

So I guess I'd have to answer 'yes'.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 PM

You can be quite sure that Wal-Mart has a contract with its hardware, automotive and appliance suppliers that states something like this:

"We will buy x of your items at a price of $y each. We reserve the right to return any item that is defective or found to be unsatisfactory for any reason, for replacement or credit, at our option".

It would be a bold and foolhardy supplier who would dare to suggest an increase of price as a result of those returns.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

It's in the price somewhere.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=plums;964172]Aside from the ethical question of returning used oil, the T6 5W40 is a perfectly fine oil in the proposed application and would not in and of itself cause the noted change. In fact being slightly thicker than the 5W30, it would be the other way around.

That was my intention for choosing T6, however it did the opposite and created more noise, that is way i wanted to return it

Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's in the price somewhere.
Wal-Mart are tough cookies when negotiating price with manufacturers. The "somewhere" is more likely to be the Jaguar dealer than Wal-Mart, so relax.

Quick Reply: switching back to good ol' 5w30