S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching back to good ol' 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Gentlemen, I think the time has come to quit this forum. Wanna thank all those members whose invaluable contributions have helped me bring my STR into good, reliable working condition.

Mikey, you irritate me continuously, and make me wonder about the meaning of the word "Coordinator". Right after I joined the forum, saw this post from you to another new member:

Mikey: "If you're still in school learning, concentrate on the principles of gathering credible data for analysis, rather than leaping to illogical conclusions based on a few crumbs of evidence. The internet is already full of garbage and myths, we don't need more".
I thought that was needlessly mean. My reply to you at that time...
Robinb: "Nobody else may say this, but I will. That remark serves no useful purpose and is not likely to promote the friendly to-and-fro discussion that I had thought was the objective of this forum".
Since then, nothing seems to have changed. I thought it was just me, but here's a collection of responses from other forum members to your comments:

Michael Star: "..you are the most negative person on this board. Just gets annoying to see your posts after a while".
Searanch: " I'll ignore your last smarmy remark...".
DPK: "What is it with you...? That you always come across like you're smarter than everyone else. Frankly I'm sick and tired of you and your condescending implications toward us on these boards".
1stjagjet: "Once again you have truly added to the depth of this discussion with an insightful and useful suggestion for the Jaguar owner everywhere. Bravo! I can hardly wait, what's next, VOO DOO or Exorcism ? Never have the facts been applied to the point more convincingly. I've been reading some of your other posts, Mikey, They make for very interesting reading. Carry On, as I know you will...".
beema7453: "most of the posters here are seeing where im coming from but u wanna keep this thing going because like i said u built the cars and you know every single thing they do... my goal is to help.. you sir wanna divide".
peddlar Bob: "Maybe you could try and learn from Doug. His comments even when disagreeing with somebodies point of view are always without exception worded very politely and respectful. Yours on the other hand seem to border on being downright insulting each time".
Staatsof: "Mikey would you mind terribly if I just put you on ignore?".
Rambunctious Jaguar: " I understand your view points and respect them, I don't appreciate the nature behind them".
Rambunctious Jaguar: "Hey Mikey do have a stable for that high horse of yours ??".
Food for thought, but no longer for me. For you, maybe?

The following users liked this post:
plums (05-05-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Rob dont leave the forum as the result of Mikey and his needs of satisfaction through condescending remarks.
This being my first thread and receiving a lot of negative comments and remarks, and also being judged by complete strangers, I felt/feel that this forum isn't as welcoming and of good nature as I believed it to be.

However you have provided a balance too this and I would like to say thank you, and it is appreciated and it has prolonged my membership here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rambunctious Jaguar:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-05-2014), Robinb (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Robin,

Sorry you feel that way.

I make no apologies for putting a stick in yours or anybody's spoke on technical matters where myths, misconceptions or simple ignorance is being promoted over facts, common sense or other easily available credible information.

As much as I may have irritated you and others by proving that many myths are just that, it seems to have little long term effect in causing them to permanently fade away. There seems to be a small number of semi-regulars that want to keep dragging them out for another beating at every opportunity but with no more evidence or proof than the last time. The current oil discussion is a perfect example. In my mind this is borderline troll behaviour.

New members coming here deserve an accurate, correct answer to a straight forward technical question. The internet is already full of discussion boards that have been trashed to the point of being useless to anyone looking for a credible answer to an honest question. Hopefully this site remains one of the exceptions.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Knowledge and the correct information is appreciated, in the manner you present the information is not :/

Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM

I think you may have proposed an excellent solution. If the myths stop getting dragged out by the same people for the umpteen time- the problem disappears.

Works for me.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

I think it is probably time to agree to disagree in this thread and move on to something else.

The following 3 users liked this post by Norri:
Jayt2 (05-04-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-05-2014), ONEsicJAG (05-05-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 11:26 PM

I agree to that norrie, I have a feeling however that Mikey is a disgruntled member who will quite possibly, if not already turn away prospective members or new mmbers as myself from participation or expanding the pool of knowledge here.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my deacades of driving, owning 8 cars and joined numerous forums, I must say I have never heard of anyone taking used oil back out of their car and fill the bottles back to take it to the retailer. I'm not entirely sure what to think of it

Like someone said, Wal-Mart will take back almost anything, but it doesn't make it right. I've been on shopping deal forums enough that people will buy things elsewhere and return to Walmart without receipt, and they'll still take it back to give store credit. I'm not saying this scenario is entirely the same, but it is questionable.

Employees don't really care and rather just "pass-on" the expense to corporate and in turn, it gets passed onto the rest of the consumer. It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Thumbs down glass houses and the flat earth society

Originally Posted by Mikey
I make no apologies for putting a stick in yours or anybody's spoke on technical matters where myths, misconceptions or simple ignorance is being promoted over facts, common sense or other easily available credible information.
What you perceive as fact is often not fact, but personal bias.

Where it all falls apart is when you insist that all others toe the line.

As much as I may have irritated you and others by proving that many myths are just that, it seems to have little long term effect in causing them to permanently fade away.
See above.

There seems to be a small number of semi-regulars that want to keep dragging them out for another beating at every opportunity but with no more evidence or proof than the last time.
I guess I would be one of them ... and I am far from a semi-regular.

The problem with "proving" anything to you is that you won't bother even following posted links for additional information.

What seems to be of paramount importance to you is "winning" and having the "last word" regardless of cost, fact, commonsense or any other consideration.

New members coming here deserve an accurate, correct answer to a straight forward technical question. The internet is already full of discussion boards that have been trashed to the point of being useless to anyone looking for a credible answer to an honest question. Hopefully this site remains one of the exceptions.
Got any mirrors in your house?

++

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Rambunctious Jaguar (05-14-2014), Robinb (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Make Love .. Not War. Sorry Couldn't Resist Lol!

The following 2 users liked this post by ONEsicJAG:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-05-2014), Rambunctious Jaguar (05-14-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

What surprises me is that people generally get to know that advertisers make claims about non-oil products that are dubious at best and are routinely ignored, but those same people often think claims about oil are true. Oil advertisements are trustworthy? Really???

The idea that Jaguar specify an unsuitable oil and never changed the spec to the right oil in the last 10 or so years is odd. (Actually, apparently they did - but only for the diesel with DPF.)

Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
I think it is probably time to agree to disagree in this thread and move on to something else.
Guess not Norri.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Oh well! Thread closed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
JimC64 (05-05-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Looks to be long overdue, thanks Norri!

I think its safe to say that there are more than a few here sick to death of oil debates and the like, repeating again and again.

Whatever the discussion may relate to, we ask that all treat each other with respect at all times.

Looks like we'll need to start using the infraction system much more, apply 7 day bans and more if this persists.

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
ONEsicJAG (05-05-2014), Rambunctious Jaguar (05-14-2014)