S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching on car 'features' - SDD ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 10:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switching on car 'features' - SDD ??

My 2006 STR is a japanese import (no salt on the roads and only 80,000kms). The downside is the number of features that are not 'switched on' - the ones that I've identified are:
Indicator flashing on remote locking/unlocking
Drive away door locking
Double locking
Single/two stage locking/unlocking
Alarm
Radio FM frequencies beyond the limited legal Japanese ones
Audible confirmation sounds (horn)

There are others I'm sure.

I've seen reference to the JLR SDD software - is that what I need to switch these features on?? If not what do I need?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2023, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 627 Likes on 492 Posts

I will let the SDD mavens weigh in on some of this, but some features are physically omitted from cars shipped to some market areas. For example, Jaguar vehicles sold in the U.S. lack "deadlocking" door lock assemblies. You can't activate it, if the feature is not physically there... I suspect this is also true of the radio frequency ranges, at radios are typically configured to the requirements of the country in which they are sold.

The following users liked this post:
yelton (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 03:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response, do you know whether SDD will enable me to switch on features that are 'switchable'??

Old 03-02-2023, 08:20 AM
Received 8,079 Likes on 4,873 Posts

Info from my days at the dealer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ControlModuleProgramming.pdf (857.3 KB, 149 views)
yelton (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by yelton
Thanks for the response, do you know whether SDD will enable me to switch on features that are 'switchable'??
yes. If your car has the physical electronics or mechanical parts necessary, then the options in SDD will allow you to activate them.

as an example I live in the US and in the US we do not have a locking steering column module or mechanism, nor do we have the foldable side mirrors. There’s just no locking mechanism for the steering column and theres no motor in our side mirrors that will allow those mirrors to fold in so even though Sdd shows me the option for a locking column and foldable mirrors, it won’t fold in even if I activate it but I still have the option listed.

yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

By the way, if I recall correctly in one of the menus for the radio, it says the options are Japan and rest of the world. I don’t know if your radio is physically different than ours but if it’s the same radio you should be able to change it. I guess I could try to change mine to Japan and see if I lose frequencies but with my luck I’d screw everything up and I’d never have a radio work again lol.

Be careful with SDD. It’s a powerful and potentially dangerous tool, but I’m just a kind of fool to use it. Tell you the truth so far I haven’t screwed anything up majorly (knock on wood).

yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 422 Posts

Be careful with SDD. It’s a powerful and potentially dangerous tool, but I’m just a kind of fool to use it. Tell you the truth so far I haven’t screwed anything up majorly (knock on wood

amen brother. Me too when i was doing first and learning later. Got lucky

The following 2 users liked this post by scottjh9:
Aarcuda (03-02-2023), yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Info from my days at the dealer.
Good stuff. The more you know, you know. Anything else? I save all these whenever I find them. I’ve stolen many of these documents off jagrepair.com but some of the things I have I don’t know where I got them from but I save them up every time I see them.

by the way to the OP some of the names in the list here aren’t very descriptive, and sometimes the names can for you as to what they really mean and it’s kind of hard to find definitions for what they mean and unless you know sometimes they change things that she didn’t expect to be changed. My car is a 2006 so technically it’s called an X206 which isn’t on the list but it’s still good list but it does have I think the 2006 s type is an x206 and that has more options listed than the X204 that they show.

Last edited by Aarcuda; 03-02-2023 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aarcuda:
Jaroslav Záruba (07-12-2024), yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Some of those options seem a bit funny?
Inclination sensor?
Never heard of slam locking either but could see that it might have a use? Passenger or drivers door too.
Dual Electronic climate control moisture purge?

Learn something new everyday on this forum!

yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Some of those options seem a bit funny?
Inclination sensor?
Never heard of slam locking either but could see that it might have a use? Passenger or drivers door too.

Learn something new everyday on this forum!
i tell my 5 year old gdaughter the overhead buttons are for front seat eject. The moisture purge feature is nice because it dries the evap core when a/c has been used. No mold can build up

yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Inclination sensor?
Probably anti-theft: if car is parked and afterwards is tipped (tow hook or whatever), sets the alarm off.

Probably to run the fan(s) to dry it out. Pretty sure I've had mine doing that.

yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Correct the inclination sensor is supposed to activate the alarm if somebody attempts to tow the vehicle. I do not think US cars have this option.

And the moisture purge is activated on my car, and it is exactly what it sounds like - about three minutes after you turn the car off it turns the fan on full blast for about a minute to dry off the evaporator to prevent mold, and other nasty stinks from forming.

there are some things I’ve noticed in the options list that i dont think anyone has. There is an option for a smog sensor for the climate control. Does anybody know anything about that?

Some of the things that I have noticed that our cars have listed in SDD are pictured below.

Theres an intrusion sensor. I do not think cars in the US have them. the intrusion sensor is part of the alarm. Normally itwo sensors sits up in the Console on the roof on either side. There’s two little circles with grills on them, and the sensor will go behind that. there are also sensors supposedly in the headliner over the side pillars between the front and rear doors and I think it also involves the sensor that’s on the radio screen in the center top but I don’t think those are in US cars

I was messing around with SDD last night and try to resolve a problem I was having and I took some screenshots of some of the various options that were available for changing during either the module programming or the add and remove options section.

The option for voice activated control module is weird, because the first column says the VACM is fitted with the second column only gives you an option to enable it is no option to disable it in this selection

Last edited by Aarcuda; 03-04-2023 at 08:59 AM.
yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Some more

Anyone know what this last thing is where it says smart unlocking requires key in ignition? What is that describing?

I had panic alarm enabled on my car but it never function and you’re supposed to be able to press the headlight key for three seconds and it supposed to sound the horn on my car would do is turn the headlights on or off

yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 05:18 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Something that has not been mentioned about using SDD is that when programming modules it is very important to have a high power battery back up connected to the car battery.
The ignition has to be on to use SDD and this will drain the battery. If the voltage goes below a certain level programming will be interupted. If this happens there is a strong chance that the module that is mid way through programming will be destroyed.
A normal 12 volt 5 amp battery charger is not enough, you need at least 25 amps at 13.8 volts, Jaguar recommend a 30 amp unit.

SDD 130 is the version I use, this only runs on a Windows XP PC with a date reset each time it is turned on and no internet connection.
As with the voltage on the car the PC must not shut down during programing.
A 'vertual machine' within a later opperating system can be used, providing it is 100% stable.
If you do not have a date re-set each time the PC is turned on after a few days SDD will stop working and look for an update from Jaguar that does not exist anymore!
SDD 138 is also available for the S-type, with the same conditions as SDD130 but it is said to have some issues.
After that the newer versions do not work without dealership conectivity to Jaguar.

You also need a dedicated interface, I use a Mongoose.

One thing I will say is that only do what you need when using SDD.

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 03-07-2023 at 05:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by M-e-l-l-o-w:
kr98664 (03-07-2023), yelton (03-07-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

I use SDD 160.xxx. running under Win7 Pro 64 bit. I am 100% connected to the internet. I get all the factory software updates. I run the current date. No need to change it. These later versions will all fall back to IDS work on the earlier cars. I have checked mine with a 1998 XJ.

There are different variations with SDD so be careful of what works and what does not work. It just depends on the set up of SDD.

I always leave the laptop plugged in and use the DC power supply hooked to the car.
Attached is what Jaguar recommends for the backup DC power supply. Note that it is NOT just a power supply! It must be a low ripple DC power supply. I have measured the battery draw with SDD in operation and have seen as much as 30 Amps continuously. Which seems like an awful lot of current with the car not running.

After reading so many SDD threads I think the main problem us shade tree guys have is the refusal to use the correct power supply. Too many use battery chargers and yes they will hold the DC at 13.5 VDC but it is a terrible noisy DC supply. They are full of RF and EMF because those are not a problem when charging batteries so they are not designed to provide clean power.

Attached Files
yelton (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I use SDD 160.xxx. running under Win7 Pro 64 bit. I am 100% connected to the internet. I get all the factory software updates. I run the current date. No need to change it. These later versions will all fall back to IDS work on the earlier cars. I have checked mine with a 1998 XJ.

There are different variations with SDD so be careful of what works and what does not work. It just depends on the set up of SDD.

I always leave the laptop plugged in and use the DC power supply hooked to the car.
Attached is what Jaguar recommends for the backup DC power supply. Note that it is NOT just a power supply! It must be a low ripple DC power supply. I have measured the battery draw with SDD in operation and have seen as much as 30 Amps continuously. Which seems like an awful lot of current with the car not running.

After reading so many SDD threads I think the main problem us shade tree guys have is the refusal to use the correct power supply. Too many use battery chargers and yes they will hold the DC at 13.5 VDC but it is a terrible noisy DC supply. They are full of RF and EMF because those are not a problem when charging batteries so they are not designed to provide clean power.
so do you pay for a topix subscription? I tried the v160 but its the offline one and it was missing a ton of features so I went back to v131.

I tried v130 on a windows 10 using a virtual that ran XP but I couldnt get it to see the dang mongoose pro. I supposedly had the drivers on the XP but when I went to select them from their file locations it couldnt see them. Like they were ghosts. But they were there

The following 2 users liked this post by Aarcuda:
Jaroslav Záruba (07-12-2024), yelton (03-08-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

No Topix subscription that's one of the variations I was talking about? I have used Topix for a short time but as posted before the time goes by fast and downloading stuff is time consuming. So I stopped using Topix completely.

I can't really explain it but yes some SDD set ups must be kept offline others you can stay on-line and get updates too. It must have to do with how the patch/hack is done to SDD?

After I install SDD then log in once I am done. Never need to log in again. From then on SDD loads automatically when the laptop boots and starts searching for updates. This is easily turned off if you stop the softwaremanger.exe service.

Attached is a Drew Tech. driver document in case you have not seen it before? Might help installing the drivers?
Here is the Drew Tech. driver page too. Even though they no longer sell the JLR Mongoose cable they still have both drivers and the user manual on their website.
Drew Tech. Mongoose Driver Page

Attached Files
MongoosePro User Manual.pdf (333.6 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by clubairth1; 03-09-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Jaroslav Záruba (07-12-2024)