S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil in an S Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil in an S Type??

I recently purchased a 2002 jaguar Stype with 84K miles. Went in for an oil change and they put in full synthetic...Upon reading the manual after the fact, I see full synthetic isn't recommended. Will this now damage the car? Should I call and have the garage change out the oil ASAP?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oil

Originally Posted by JagLovr
I recently purchased a 2002 jaguar Stype with 84K miles. Went in for an oil change and they put in full synthetic...Upon reading the manual after the fact, I see full synthetic isn't recommended. Will this now damage the car? Should I call and have the garage change out the oil ASAP?
When that manual was written synthetic oil was made differently. It has been said that it may seep through seals and gaskets. I have used in my 2000 V8 and found it not to leak any more than good old motor oil. But unless your planning to run it for longer time between changes, it is not worth extra money.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey JagLovr, welcome to the Forum. Periodically, I use a synthetic blend from Valvoline in mine (4.2L) and it seems to suit the motor very well, even moreso than conventional, based on oil "consumption". I've never been too keen on oil burning, even though it "means the cylinders/rings are getting good lube", and can nearly go a full 3,500 miles on the blend without adding a drop, or serious darkening. I don't want to set off a huge debate on oil color change here, I'm merely passing along my observations. And by the way, the synthetic blend is as far in that direction as I'm willing to go. I can't explain it, but I just don't feel completely right about a full synthetic oil-what's it made out of anyway??? -just kidding

Old 01-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by chucky60
When that manual was written synthetic oil was made differently. It has been said that it may seep through seals and gaskets. I have used in my 2000 V8 and found it not to leak any more than good old motor oil. But unless your planning to run it for longer time between changes, it is not worth extra money.
That's sort of an urban myth; if synthetics are able seep through gaskets, the dino oil would eventually do the same...

Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

My STR has traveled 25k on full synthetic with oil changes at 5K.

Wouldn't use anything else.

This advice is worth exactly what ya paid for it...

Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have over 120k miles on my STR, and for the last 60k that I've had it I've used nothing but synthetic. But I'm pretty sure my manual said to use synthetic, even though Jaguar doesn't.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by searanch
My STR has traveled 25k on full synthetic with oil changes at 5K.
Factory recommended oil change interval is 10K miles so that's quite a bit of oil (money) you're throwing away.

As to why Jag did not recommend the use of synthetics in certain years*- it's anybody's guess unless you can get some info from Jaguar themselves. It's also true that the engines enjoy a long and happy life on regular dino oil so paying extra for synthetic is pretty hard to justify unless a greatly elongated change interval is taken advantage of.

*edit- and certain engines only- the V6 is affected by this caution, not the V8 (?). There is no caution in the 2003 or later owner's manuals.

Last edited by Mikey; 01-06-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM

I'm sure either oil is acceptable, i run a large service center and have gone to valvoline, castrol and penzoil specification training classes and from what i got out of it was whatever the manufacturer recommends for oil should be used as well as sticking to the specific mileage interval, upgrading to syn will cost you more but keep within the mileage interval. Just sayin!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Factory recommended oil change interval is 10K miles so that's quite a bit of oil (money) you're throwing away.
I prefer to take Brutal's advice over yours...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-advise-33433/

Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth (probably not much) I have 131k miles on my 2005 3.0 S-Type. I change it every 10k with full synthetic. No engine problems whatsoever to date.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Now I can sleep soundly knowing my car won't blow up tomorrow!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by searanch
I prefer to take Brutal's advice over yours...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-advise-33433/
Please continue reading that thread all way through or any other where I've asked for hard evidence that 10K is not appropriate. If you're beating your car, then that's not normal usage.

Moreover- change your oil at whatever interval makes you happy.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Please continue reading that thread all way through or any other where I've asked for hard evidence that 10K is not appropriate. If you're beating your car, then that's not normal usage.

Moreover- change your oil at whatever interval makes you happy.
Brutal is a Jaguar Tech that has provided advice and experience who is greatly respected on this forum. He is someone I listen to.

As to your assertion that I beat my car you couldn't be further from the truth as evidenced by the fact I change my oil/filter every 5K on Brutal's recommendation and only drive it when the sun shines. Never seen rain or winter.

Yes, it has a supercharger and it does get exercised with an Italian tuneup when the right opportunity presents itself. That's why I own it.

I'll ignore your last smarmy remark...

Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Searanch- you've got the wrong end of several sticks. I made no assertion or even an inference that you or anyone else here beats their car, but simply that the factory 10K mile/16K kilometer interval is for 'normal driving'. If a person were to subject their car through severe condtions, then the standard interval would not apply.

My final remark was the standard 'let's not get another oil thread locked' way of saying no harm, no foul.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Searanch- you've got the wrong end of several sticks. I made no assertion or even an inference that you or anyone else here beats their car, but simply that the factory 10K mile/16K kilometer interval is for 'normal driving'. If a person were to subject their car through severe condtions, then the standard interval would not apply.

My final remark was the standard 'let's not get another oil thread locked' way of saying no harm, no foul.
Apparently reading comprehension is not one of your strongest skill sets. Let it rest...

Capiche

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,907 Posts

2005 STR - Changed every 7500 miles. Mobil 1 5W-30. WIX filters. Uses about 1 qt between changes and has since I got it at 32K miles now at 75K miles. Used as a daily driver and gets a strong workout. I don't have any complaints.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 4346
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok, got a little off topic and on again about oil changes / intervals etc etc.

I used to travel extensive distances, around 50k - 70k per year, mostly motorway and always used longlife servicing getting oil changes at not 10k, but 18k - 20k depending on when the car asked for it.
From brand new, I would put 160k minimum on each car in a 3 year period and I NEVER, EVER had any engine problems at all whatsoever!

I now do stop start around town driving, and in all honesty feel I could probably continue with the same type of servicing, but, chose to have it changed to fixed servicing and 10k oil changes.

If I were to listen to some here, I would be changing my oil regularly every 2-3k miles, but I won't.

If it helps any, I've travelled well over a MILLION miles this past 20 years, more than most people will ever drive in their lifetime. I've had plenty of cars in that time too, mostly all new and for 3 years with lots of miles on them at the end, with very very few issues.

It can't be a fluke, beacuse, please, please believe me when I say....I really am NOT that lucky!

I am in no way saying that anyone whould change their routine to this, or that you're suilly for throwing money away etc etc.......I'm simply passing on my experience to you......Like me, you will all make your own decisions

Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the 1980s mineral oils made black gunge collect in engines and changing to a fully synthetic oil could loosen bits and block oilways. I did this to a mercedes V8 engine and wrecked it. I think oils are all better now so the warnings are maybe out of date. My 2004 V6 s-type has had synthetic oil all along but they were doing extended service intervals so now I am doing more oil changes it may be ok on a cheaper oil.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JagLovr
Thanks everyone for the great comments. Now I can sleep soundly knowing my car won't blow up tomorrow!
Don't get over-confident...It is a Jaguar and can self destruct your checking account at any time...

The following users liked this post:
muad'dib (10-30-2022)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Like so many other aspects in life, oil changes are all about compromise. How important is it to you, and how much risk are you willing to take?

The oil companies advise you to change your oil every 3,000 miles to keep catastrophic engine failure at bay. Follow this advice and do your part contributing to their bottom line. The auto manufacturers advise you to stretch out your oil changes to 10,000-mile intervals. That probably won't damage your engine if you run a decent oil, but it surely helps to minimize their service costs (if free oil changes to 50,000 miles are part of their sales package to you) and helps them sell cars when consumers perceive that their maintenance costs will be lower as a result....

So for most of my driving life, I've compromised at a 6,000-to-7,000-mile service interval running conventional oil and either Purolator or Wix moderately-priced filters. Never had an oil-related engine problem in more than 42 years of driving. Your mileage may vary....

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil in an S Type??