S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tag or not To tag

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default To tag or not To tag

I have never ran a front tag on any of my cars, (even though I live in a state that requires one). I just never liked the look of them on cars. Until now, The more I look at the front of my s type the more I think she needs a tag.

I am really on a fence about this because once I do it and mount the bracket I can't go back (ugly holes left in bumper).

Should I or shouldn't I which do you guys thinks looks best?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I like them smooth. But we don't have frt tags in PA. If they did I probably would since I don't like giving anyone an excuse to pull me over.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

If your state does not require a front tag (ours does not), don't slap one on there. If you do, you'll have drilled holes to deal with later, a break-up of your front airflow, and more stuff to attract road grime and dirt. So save your money and keep your front end clean....

Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Yea dont do it. I bought mine from a state that has front plates so I'm stuck with the mount since its got about 4 rivets going through the bumper to hold it on. I wish I didnt have it but I'm running a leaper plate on the front just so its not a black rectangle up there. When I eventually get the front bumper resprayed I'm gonna pull it off and fill the holes. I like the no front plate look alot better. This is what I did to deal with it.

Attached Thumbnails To tag or not To tag-front.jpg   To tag or not To tag-front1.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Vance I really like the look of your with the tag on there..Don't ask me why I just do

I don't know why I feel this way, I never have before on any car...lol

Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in NY where front plates are required. I mounted mine using a bracket, and wire tires. No holes.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's an idea since you live in a State that requires a front plate. Mount the plate, be legal, and then buy a nice upgrade for your ride for the same amount your ticket would have been had you been "caught".

It's all win-win for you! lol.

Rob

Old 03-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Here's an idea since you live in a State that requires a front plate. Mount the plate, be legal, and then buy a nice upgrade for your ride for the same amount your ticket would have been had you been "caught".

It's all win-win for you! lol.

Rob

I have been pulled over before for no front tag , haven't ran one for 20 yrs

Never got a ticket though

Old 03-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
I live in NY where front plates are required. I mounted mine using a bracket, and wire tires. No holes.

Do you have a pic of this? It may be a option for me

Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a front plate, but had the plastic replaced in the front a few months ago. Didn't even realize I had no front plate now, until I read this thread.

Considering that I have no idea where the plate is now...and that I've been without one for months, and that I think it looks much better without one...I think I'm just gonna say f it and take my chances.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ohio requires a front plate, but I ran without one on another car for nearly 2 years (car wash pulled it off and I never felt like putting it back). I also see many cars on the road drive without them, so it wasn't until a cop pulled me over and wrote me a ticket did I know for sure that I was required to have a front plate.

Considering I've only ever seen one other STR in my area (the other was green, mines red), I don't think I need a plate to identify my car. On the other hand, walking back to my car with a date, she walked up to a mercury rather than the jag she arrived in and said is this it? I was highly offended.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Stay out of Lakewood and Strongsville Achy!! Lakewood WILL cite you and Strongsville will pull you over!

Over the this past summer I was stopped twice in my vehicle while visiting (our state is front plate free) in Strongsville, minding my own bees wax and well within the posted speed.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I think Phaelax's date moved South...became a lady cop...and mistook your car for a Merc...she was lookin' for him to apologize....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by achysklic
Vance I really like the look of your with the tag on there..Don't ask me why I just do

I don't know why I feel this way, I never have before on any car...lol
It has grown on me I really like it set up like this but if I had my choice I would rather not have the bracket on there. Heck if I do end up getting it removed and refinished I may do some sort of custom mount off to the side maybe that wouldnt involve cutting or drilling holes in the bumper. Maybe have it come out of the grill somehow through the honeycombs. That actually may look nice.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by achysklic
I have never ran a front tag on any of my cars, (even though I live in a state that requires one). I just never liked the look of them on cars. Until now, The more I look at the front of my s type the more I think she needs a tag.

I am really on a fence about this because once I do it and mount the bracket I can't go back (ugly holes left in bumper).

Should I or shouldn't I which do you guys thinks looks best?

When i had my black Infiniti FX45, I went no tag in the front, I had the bracket there so I ran with just a black metal plate with chrome Infiniti logo. It looked real nice. I got the Jag and decided not even to take the chance or give them a reason to stop me, pull me over, or ticket me while parked on the side of the street. I put a smoked license plate cover over it and the plate no longer sticks out like a sore thumb.

May want to check and see if the covers are illegal.

You could go back, there are many places that sell bumper plugs, there is even one site that specializes in it. To make you feel better, got a Lexus RX for the wife, came from a non-front plate state and I had to drill holes in the bumper. It needs to be on there to pass inspection.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Stay out of Lakewood and Strongsville Achy!! Lakewood WILL cite you and Strongsville will pull you over!

Over the this past summer I was stopped twice in my vehicle while visiting (our state is front plate free) in Strongsville, minding my own bees wax and well within the posted speed.

I hear you, I know if I lived closer to one of the big cities I should have a front tag.... I lived along the ohio river and 50% of the cars on the road here are from Ky. No front plate required state so cops don't even look at the tag issue on cars here. Same way with window tint, in ohio 50% is as dark as you can go on the front 2 windows, however, in Ky it's as dark as you want so most people push it here because cops really don't want to look that close to see if it's a ky car or ohio flying past them.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
I had a front plate, but had the plastic replaced in the front a few months ago. Didn't even realize I had no front plate now, until I read this thread.

Considering that I have no idea where the plate is now...and that I've been without one for months, and that I think it looks much better without one...I think I'm just gonna say f it and take my chances.
I think it's fail inspection in NJ yes?

Also, given the local, county and state budget crisis here I just don't want to give them another revenue opportunity. I'll bet it's not a $20 fine anymore? They just started the roadside inspection stops here again. They could wave you over.

The police generally are a great bunch of guys but if you drive a nice & sporty car then you're high profile. When you get pulled over they immediately put on the A-hole suit and become the enemy. I've talked my way out of every ticket but 2 in the 14 years I've lived here.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Ahhh the the hell with the front plate then... For some reason I thought you were located in the Cleveland area.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:40 AM

^ Yeah we are pretty much just transplanted Kentuckians here.......lol

What really b others me is that only reason states rquire a front plate is because it's the target cops use to point their radar at.....Laser is hard to lock on a car without a front plate.. Crazy huh?

Last edited by achysklic; 03-02-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I think it's fail inspection in NJ yes?

Also, given the local, county and state budget crisis here I just don't want to give them another revenue opportunity. I'll bet it's not a $20 fine anymore? They just started the roadside inspection stops here again. They could wave you over.

The police generally are a great bunch of guys but if you drive a nice & sporty car then you're high profile. When you get pulled over they immediately put on the A-hole suit and become the enemy. I've talked my way out of every ticket but 2 in the 14 years I've lived here.
What inspection Bob????

Depends on the town if they care about front tags, tint etc...

You need a pba card or 12 LOL.

If my car didn't come with the front plate bracket already drilled into the bumper I would get one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0SX...eature=related

That's So slick.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: To tag or not To tag