Sponsored by:

To tag or not To tag

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by achysklic
^ Yeah we are pretty much just transplanted Kentuckians here.......lol

What really b others me is that only reason states rquire a front plate is because it's the target cops use to point their radar at.....Laser is hard to lock on a car without a front plate.. Crazy huh?
That's why the plates are reflectorized. A 2000 grit scuff, wash, and a A matte clearcoat works wonders for that

Take care,

George

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Years ago I got away not placing a plate in front of my 83 Mustang GT with a 425 hp 351 Ford Motor Sport H.O. till a NYS Trooper gave the much unanticipated ticket to me...thought it as a freak chance to happen...so...got another one some time later...on went the front plate.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Quebec has no plates or year stickers.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no choice....bought the car in Texas..front plate was already there

Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

You fellas' can always "plug yer' holes"

http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

The following users liked this post:
g2ktcf (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Link! Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
When i had my black Infiniti FX45, I went no tag in the front, I had the bracket there so I ran with just a black metal plate with chrome Infiniti logo. It looked real nice. I got the Jag and decided not even to take the chance or give them a reason to stop me, pull me over, or ticket me while parked on the side of the street. I put a smoked license plate cover over it and the plate no longer sticks out like a sore thumb.

May want to check and see if the covers are illegal.

You could go back, there are many places that sell bumper plugs, there is even one site that specializes in it. To make you feel better, got a Lexus RX for the wife, came from a non-front plate state and I had to drill holes in the bumper. It needs to be on there to pass inspection.
Bull have you NOT heard of double sided tape? Thats what I did with my old m3 in my more rebellious youth back when NJ had inspection. The S-Type already had the bracket drilled on it, so I figured eh, I'll put the plate on it....

Take care,

George

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
What inspection Bob????

Depends on the town if they care about front tags, tint etc...

You need a pba card or 12 LOL.

If my car didn't come with the front plate bracket already drilled into the bumper I would get one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0SX...eature=related

That's So slick.

Take care,

George
That would be slick if it was wired into the remote on the ignition. So when you shut the car off it hides and then you start it pops out. Me likey.

I would get the bumper plugs if the previous owner only did the 2 holes but not on mine there is about 4-5 holes bolting that thing on.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll take the $20 fix it ticket over pitting holes in the bumper

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

That would never work on the front of an STR where I live. I'd tear it off in one day. Besides, if they saw the car WO the plate and then when you stopped it had one you don't think they'd figure that out? Really George??

I'd rather not deal with a pissed off cop.

It reminds of a Countach I saw at Concourso Italiano out in Monterey back in the 1990s that a 3-position-rotating license plate setup. It would be great if there were a lot of Countachs driving around.

What inspection Bob????

Depends on the town if they care about front tags, tint etc...

You need a pba card or 12 LOL.

If my car didn't come with the front plate bracket already drilled into the bumper I would get one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0SX...eature=related

That's So slick.

Take care,

George

Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
That would never work on the front of an STR where I live. I'd tear it off in one day. Besides, if they saw the car WO the plate and then when you stopped it had one you don't think they'd figure that out? Really George??

I'd rather not deal with a pissed off cop.

It reminds of a Countach I saw at Concourso Italiano out in Monterey back in the 1990s that a 3-position-rotating license plate setup. It would be great if there were a lot of Countachs driving around.
Oh I didn't mean for the purposes of putting it up after the traffic stop started, although that would be "interesting", but rather as a way to mount the plate and not drill the bumper, plus conceal it when parked or whatever. I only think it adds 1/2 inch to the undercarriage, which hopefully shouldn't interfere with ground clearance... Corvette guys all run these brackets.

They actually make something called a speedplate too, which folds your rear license plate down as well.

I'm sure joker goes through the ez pass lanes with no ezpass and the plates concealed.

Vance, I think these come with a wireless remote, but ignition switched would definitely be slick.

Take care,

George

Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

Have a link?
Oh I didn't mean for the purposes of putting it up after the traffic stop started, although that would be "interesting", but rather as a way to mount the plate and not drill the bumper, plus conceal it when parked or whatever. I only think it adds 1/2 inch to the undercarriage, which hopefully shouldn't interfere with ground clearance... Corvette guys all run these brackets.

They actually make something called a speedplate too, which folds your rear license plate down as well.

I'm sure joker goes through the ez pass lanes with no ezpass and the plates concealed.

Vance, I think these come with a wireless remote, but ignition switched would definitely be slick.

Take care,

George

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Have a link?
Here's the rear:

http://www.flipaplate.com/car.html

Front:

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/inde...9f31e771cba318

You can choose either motorized or manual for the front. A bunch of companies make the front one.

Personally I think this is a much cooler solution. BUT I don't know if they make it for the US plate size...

http://www.smartplate.se/en/webshop

Take care,

George

Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Nothing like a little fabrication to make it happen

Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Nothing like a little fabrication to make it happen
Never mind... Scroll down. They do have the USA plate size.

220 euros for front and rear covers including wireless remote and in car LED indicator of plate status.

Personally I like the LCD screen blackouts the best. BUT the opacity of the LCD screen (when supposedly clear) leaves a LOT to be desired,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcSJV...layer_embedded

Take care,

George

Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

I like this idea better because it's as obviously illegal. I'd like to see this operate in person.

Never mind... Scroll down. They do have the USA plate size.

220 euros for front and rear covers including wireless remote and in car LED indicator of plate status.

Personally I like the LCD screen blackouts the best. BUT the opacity of the LCD screen (when supposedly clear) leaves a LOT to be desired,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcSJV...layer_embedded

Take care,

George

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

I like this idea better because it's as obviously illegal. I'd like to see this operate in person.
LCD Glass panels are available in "Clear" and "Black" commerically right now, and rely on a ccfl type inverter to activate the LCD. This is the same kind of stuff they are now using in high end buildings for bathroom stalls. when the stall is unlocked, the lcd is off and the glass is clear. When someone enters the stall to use it and locks it, the glass turns opaque. Kind of cool, but pricy.

The clear ones turn to frosted white when active, but look almost dirty or as if someone had sanded a clear piece of plexi when not activated.

The black ones Turn well, black, like the LCD display in a calculator or digital watch when activated. They tend to be clearer as far as translucency when unactive, BUT look like smoke / tinted glass when not active. Either way it will be flagrantly obvious you have something over the license plate even when you are not attempting to conceal it.

The smart plate at least leaves the plate exposed normally when it's not in "stealth" mode.

Take care,

George

Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

I kind of like the idea of using urinal technology to defend myself ...

I wonder how it will hold up in the NJ uber harsh driving environment?

So of course we need to have it auto-obscure when laser or radar is detected.
Probably reacts too slowly ...
Plus ... it would be flashing on & off non stop!

I've never looked into this but there must some guys who've been asked about this by Mr. Policeman and have discussed the results on a blog somewhere?

If you can believe their stories.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

The smart plate at least leaves the plate exposed normally when it's not in "stealth" mode.
George
Yah but it's motorized and less than a foot from the ground. Seems like it might have a short life span?

Soon it won't matter. They'll be remotely reading all the ECU info in your car anyway or it will be getting beamed to Gestapo headquarters while you drive.

What a mess.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Yah but it's motorized and less than a foot from the ground. Seems like it might have a short life span?

Soon it won't matter. They'll be remotely reading all the ECU info in your car anyway or it will be getting beamed to Gestapo headquarters while you drive.

What a mess.
OBD III is coming. On-Star like features (Including remote disabling, such as the stolen car recovery are possible). I wonder how big brother will interpret this ability. Heck you could even have the ECU set the Speed limit of the car to the speed limit of the road. Speeding problem solved right? Problem is I don't think you could ever get away with such intrusions in this land of ACLU civil liberty type people.

I don't know about you Bob, but I have EZ-Pass.
(And even if you dont the turnpike tickets are still time stamped).

They have a record of when and where I got on the turnpike, and when and were I got off. Doing some simple math will allow them to determine at least the average speed during each of my journeys. I suspect my morning commute would entitle me to a speeding citation 4 out of 5 days a week if they ever decided to go that route.

As far as the obscuring the plate during radar / laser detection, it's asking for trouble, as is everything else. The only thing these plate obscuring devices are good for would be in the case of a non-manned photo enforcement type setup. Red light cam, toll booth etc.

If you wish to make your car undetectable or should I say ALMOST undetectable to currently used speed detection devices, you need to get into electronic countermeasures, highly effective and not obvious unless they tear into the vehicle.

You need to combine this with a good detection system and have the countermeasures disable after initial detection, (giving you time to get to a reasonable speed) before you allow them to obtain a speed measurement...

All in all if you're really hell bent on getting away with it, it's doable, but its generally more trouble than it's worth.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: To tag or not To tag