Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking the electrical connector apart

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default taking the electrical connector apart

Hi,
I am trying to pull the blue electrical connector to the CATS system module apart so that I can check for corrosion, etc., on a 2000 Jaguar S type.

The module is located on the aft spare wheel compartment wall and it has been subjected to water damage in the past. I have replaced the module but am still getting an error message about the CATS system. I am reasonably certain that one of the wires is the source of the error message.

The connector is blue with a white interior and it looks like it will come apart if I can find the key to its interlocking parts. Before I damage the plastic connector further, does anyone have some information on how it comes apart?

I will try to post a photo of the plug in a followup message to demonstrate what I am talking about.

Bob

Old 11-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi
Post picture up of the connectors
usually , there's a colored plastic part/clip that comes out first, this unlocks the terminals
then you have to slide a thin piece of wire in, from where the colored clip came out, there a small slot next to each terminal, raise the clip and pull the wire out
cheers
Joe

Old 11-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Default pictures failed

I went to considerable trouble to get the pictures uploaded, etc. but I failed to get the file here. I have been at it for an hour now so I will take a break and try again tomorrow.

Computers drive me crazy.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Default picture of the CATS system module connector

I will try again to bring a picture of the connector. Please note the short yellow wire that is an extension of the yellow/red wire.

Originally this yellow/red wire had been cut off and routed through the centre of the CATS system module box because the pin on the module had corroded and broke off. The yellow/red wire had then been soldered to the inner side of the pin, effectively making a detour around the broken pin.

I bought a replacement module and reconnected the yellow/red wire to the connector with a length of yellow wire.

I would like to clean all of the pins inside the connector if that is possible.

Attached Thumbnails taking the electrical connector apart-jaguar-cats-system-connectors.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

hi
Yes the white part comes out, which unlocks the terminals
cheers
Joe