S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my S-Type R on the oval track this spring!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Taking my S-Type R on the oval track this spring!

Just curious if anyone thinks this is a stupid idea? The
car handles pretty well I think...although I am pissed about not having the Brembo brakes. I got some good aftermarket EBC brakes and pads which weren't cheap and they stop well. The suspension is still in great shape and the car has relatively low miles. It's been sitting for 4 months with a battery tender on it though, so I am wondering if there are things I should check out? I had it at the dealer last week for a few warranty items and while I was there I did a brake fluid flush with Brembo fluid. Also put 2 fresh Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the rear.

I obviously wouldn't dream of trying to take a hard turn at 140mph since
the tires tend to roll over on themselves (one thing that pisses me off with this car even on the street), but I feel pretty confident about ripping it somewhat hard on the track.

This is Pocono Raceway I am talking about too. I'm going with a group that is doing a private track rental. Lots of high performance cars will be attending! I'm probably going to be the cheapest car out of all them there actually. I just can't match some of the trust fund kids that are there (25 year olds with Ferrari F430's), but that's alright haha.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Awesome! Do it and report back! Don't forget the vids!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

+1 Go for it. You'll have fun. My R runs Mitchelin Pilot Super Sports Summer and are quiet and handle very well. Bet you'll surprise a bunch out there while doing it.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have PM'd you, but apparently new members can't do that.....

Did you remove your stock calipers?
If so, I'm looking for a set of '07 S-Type R Calipers!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fun. Just don't imitate that race driver with British journalist front passenger that went off a road course track and rolled a new STR. The video is on the web. Track videos of Jag S-types or JXs are rare and this one seemed to come up in about every search I did.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Great! I am def going to do it. I have 3 GoPro Hero2's, will put one on the front bumper if it will work right, one on the side window, and one inside the car facing the speedo area (or maybe on my helmet). I plan on taking it to the speed limiter multiple times!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 6,355 Likes on 5,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee-eye
Sounds like a lot of fun. Just don't imitate that race driver with British journalist front passenger that went off a road course track and rolled a new STR. The video is on the web. Track videos of Jag S-types or JXs are rare and this one seemed to come up in about every search I did.
They took it quite well!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by hinzy
I would have PM'd you, but apparently new members can't do that.....

Did you remove your stock calipers?
If so, I'm looking for a set of '07 S-Type R Calipers!
2006 and newer R models did not have the Brembo calipers...

Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
2006 and newer R models did not have the Brembo calipers...
I'm not looking for Brembo, I'm looking for 2006-2008 STR calipers.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Sounds fun. I tried to go to a couple local track days but have been snowed out twice.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

What group is organizing this?

That's important because a bad organizer can leave you with a damaged car if they're not running and controlling the event properly. Been there and it was hugely expensive.

Which track configuration?

Pocono has been completely repaved too!

I've driven it many, many times. It's a good course to have fun on and stay relatively safe.

Are they providing instructors?

Good idea to get yer yah yahs out here instead.

Be careful about the brakes. Maybe some harder pads installed a couple weeks before you go to let them bed in. harder pads usually require warmup time so be careful on the street.

If it's the north course run CC then devils elbow can smoke your pads and ruin the rotors pretty quickly if you're hard on the brakes.

Learn, be careful and have fun.

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Just curious if anyone thinks this is a stupid idea? The
car handles pretty well I think...although I am pissed about not having the Brembo brakes. I got some good aftermarket EBC brakes and pads which weren't cheap and they stop well. The suspension is still in great shape and the car has relatively low miles. It's been sitting for 4 months with a battery tender on it though, so I am wondering if there are things I should check out? I had it at the dealer last week for a few warranty items and while I was there I did a brake fluid flush with Brembo fluid. Also put 2 fresh Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the rear.

I obviously wouldn't dream of trying to take a hard turn at 140mph since
the tires tend to roll over on themselves (one thing that pisses me off with this car even on the street), but I feel pretty confident about ripping it somewhat hard on the track.

This is Pocono Raceway I am talking about too. I'm going with a group that is doing a private track rental. Lots of high performance cars will be attending! I'm probably going to be the cheapest car out of all them there actually. I just can't match some of the trust fund kids that are there (25 year olds with Ferrari F430's), but that's alright haha.