S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the STR into the shop....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taking the STR into the shop....

Tomorrow, I take the STR into the shop. There supposed to fix the passenger airbag seat sensor, do the 90k mile mainteneace, fix whatevers screwing up for it to start in reduced performance, and install an auto start that i made the dealership throw in when I was buying the car.

Lets see how well or bad they do

And

Lets see how small and underpowered of a car they give me.

Last edited by maddyn; 06-28-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you can't wait.
Hope you get the car back perfect!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

your having them throw on a remote starter? what are they using to bypass the transponder network??? There is a reason im asking. If you dont know, see if you can find out. There are a couple ways to do the STR, im curious which route they are gonna take.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Good luck bro!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 PM

Thanks all, I cant wait till I get it back. The dealership sent be down to enterprise and they gave me a Jeep Compass. Man the get up and go in that thing, got up and left. lol

phd12volt, Im not sure how there gonna do it, I made them throw it in as a deal breaker when I bought the car. Im not even sure if there gonna have the jag dealership do it, or if the ford dealership i bought the car from is doing that part of the work. As long as it works and it works with the STR's key fobs, i dont care lol.

Everything is perfect on that car, but the restricted performance light. lol. which seems a common problem with the STR. They get to fix it this time, ill figure it out next time :P

Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Ok, I just picked up the STR from the dealership. Worst experience ever. it only took them over a week. I will say that they did fix the check engine light. They found a a vaccum leak At the fuel pressure sensor. No more limp mode, no more check engine light. YAH! .. ok thats the only good thing they did.

The auto start.. where do i start.

I guess first off, they were supposed to fix the key fobs that came with the car and make them work with the autostart. That couldn't be done with our fobs they said, so now I have a little pos fob for the auto start on the keychain. Then they somehow screwed the programming up of my fobs, so they no longer work with the car.

Now youd think that they could just remprogram them. Well no such luck since they need both key fobs I was told. Shouldnt of been a problem, but the way they bypassed the transponder network was by using my spare key/fob....... So, I asked them if they were going to buy me another $250 key. Using my key wasnt part of the deal for them to install the auto start. Now I get to bring the car to the place that installed the thing so they can install a security bypass module and give me my key back. Then I think I have to go back to the dealership and have the fobs reprogrammed? Does all of this sound right? Any way i can reprogram the fob to my car myself? I read something about turning the key on 8 times and then pressing the buttons on the remote, but im not sure why they said they needed to program it by plugging the car in? Id really rather never deal with that dealership again.

Lesson learned, Never buy a jaguar from a shady Ford dealership. oh anyone know of any good independant shops in the naperville Illinois area?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

who did the remote start? and what unit did they use?

please tell me what they were supposed to fix with the remotes in the first place??? i did look up different procedures to program the factory remotes, however everything i found must be done via the jag dealer.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

INSTALL TYPE 3:
On only few vehicles the PATS immobilizer module is powered on constant 12 Volts instead of being powered on ignition. Since all the other vehicles PATS
systems are powered on ignition, the ignition signal is used to synchronize the immobilizer challenge/communication. On the PATS systems powered on 12
Volts, a learning error will occur due to the wrong communication timing. This will prevent the module from learning the vehicle and the module LED will start
blinking Red.

We recommend to correct the vehicle circuitry by changing the PATS power source to an Ignition power source instead of constant 12 Volts. A fuse should be
used as recommended in the install schematic.
The vehicle will properly start using a key or the remote starter once this modifi cation is performed to adapt to the normal PATS initialization timings.
The modifi cation have to be secured and left permanent in the vehicle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADVANCED DIAGNOSTIC
Did you know the Firmware is monitoring the entire module learning process and records everything in its EEPROM?
Exactly, as soon the module is connected to the vehicle it starts monitoring and recording all its I/O’s (same as an airplane black box). The information can be
extracted from the module and sent to your technical support team for advanced debugging at any required time.
The information recorded is:
• Install Type
• 1st key code
• 1st ignition cycle ON position timing
• 1st ignition cycle OFF position timing
• 2nd key code
• 2nd ignition ON position timing
• 2nd ignition OFF position timing
• Any immobilizer communication collision
• RS232 communications
• Vehicle unlocking its programming
• Module key code sent to vehicle and validated or rejected
• Spikes on the ignition wire
• Cloned keys detection
• Protected memory buffer for module key code recovery even after module is re-fl ashed and a factory reset is been performed.
• RX/TX inversion detection and protection
• Installation mode, fi rmware, hardware informations
• Advanced recording routine for emergency key code cracking
• Complete encryption recording and advanced anti-collision protection

If they used the idatalink unit, they would need to do this modification to get it to work.

Also they need to be networked into idatalink ( iDatalink - Front Page ) to utilize the newest firmware where you can program the unit utilizing 1 factory key. (it is called KLON)

tell me more about what they used, and i will see what i can do to help you out.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

also, you can in fact use the factory remotes, however it depends on the unit they put it. i need that info to help you.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 PM

The used a code alarm ca 4051. not the unit I was told they were going to. I thought it would be a "factory" unit, but instead they used something i could of done myself for under 80 bucks.....

The Car supposedly was owned by the Service Manager and everything supposdly worked when he traded it in. lol. but i guess the key fobs had dead batterys for too long or something and they said they replaced the batteries, but the remote no longer talks to the car. as for the second key, like i said, its being used right now to bypass the security chip. Im not really happy about having my baby sitting out there with a key tucked under the dash for any thief to utilize...

Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Code Alarm CA4051 Mini 1-Button Remote Start System | eBay

more like 46 dollars. that is the bottom of the barrel. ughhhhhhh i hate when installers dont do the right thing.

Just so you know, that unit has a data port on it for the transponder network interface.

http://documents.codesystems.com/711643.pdf

that is the install manual in the link. They could have at least gave you a unit so you could lock and unlock the doors too. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

FLCAN
Multi-Platform Canbus enabled doorlock interface, immobilizer override. * Firmware download required
Details | Firmware | Guide

SKU: FLCAN
VEHICLE: 2003 Jaguar S-Type Sedan
FIRMWARE: FLC-AL(TB)-FM2
Standard Immobilizer Bypass

Downloadable Software Data Immobilizer Bypass
RS232 Communication Key Cloning Optional
RS232 2-WAY Compatibility
the above quote has the 2 way transponder network interface listed that should have been flashed for your vehicle, if not than the FLTB1 can be used without having to firmware update it.

you got rooked, im sorry to say. It gives a bad name to the rest of us in this industry. please tell me where you took the vehicle to get the starter done so i can call them a bunch of hacks. seriously

Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

im so pissed

this is why the general public doesnt think very highly of automotive installers.for 22 years i have been doing this, and it irks the hell out of me. sorry had to vent

Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 PM

No worries, I like venting . When I was younger I used to do installs of car stereos/alarms at a reputable shop.. Now days I work on computerized machinery. So I know a little bit about what im talking about. lol.. sometimes Normally I just do my own work that way i know its right. This time it was part of the deal so I was like screw it, let the dealership do it.

But seriously, I blame the dealership (hawk ford) for not following through with what was promised and agreed on. They used an outside installer to do the install, and im guessing it was the ford dealership telling them what to do and to use the cheapest unit/route to save a buck.

The reason I said 80 bucks, is 46 for the actual autostart module, and 30 or 40 bucks for the transponder unit. They definitly used the cheapest. Even when i used to do that kind of work. Code Alarm was at the bottom.

Oh yeah, btw, thanks for the links, Ill have a better idea about what they need to do when I go into this place on monday.

Last edited by maddyn; 07-06-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM

and...... the saga continues..... Went to the alarm place to have them finish up and give me my key back. then i planned one last trip to the dealership to have them relearn my fobs to the car....

well... that didnt work out quite well. lol. I got to the alarm place, and a damn storm took out the power in the area last night. doh! no power, no working bay doors, no lights, no nothing. so i waited a few hours, left and had some lunch, and still no power, so i reschedualed it for thursday morning. This time Im going to call first. :P