Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me out of this, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020 | 08:30 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Talk me out of this, please

I should know better than to consider buying a $1400 Jaguar but still I'm tempted to go look at this one. The manual trans is tempting to me. And I've been looking for a project.

https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/d/s...220847025.html

My knowledge of the S-Type is nil. For this money I expect to do a lot of rehab work, and that's OK. I can handle mechanical repairs.

Here's my main concern.....

Am I gonna run into issues with obsolete or non-serviceable electronics? For example, an ECU that can't be repaired? No way of resetting engine management after (let's say) a TPS replacement? Instrument cluster that can't be reprogrammed if replaced? That sort of thing?

Cheers and thanks
DD

Old 11-25-2020 | 10:18 AM

There are several common areas that typically cause issues, but the Duratec engine is quite bulletproof when properly maintained. If you search the X200/X202 forum you can find threads about these concerns and how to correct them.

I'm not aware of common failures of the PCM, TCM or other modules on the X200, but plastic cooling system parts need attention, such as replacing the plastic thermostat housing with an aluminium one. Of course the vehicle in question has a manual gearbox, so listen for wear in the input shaft bearing by pressing and releasing the clutch pedal. Bearing noise in all forward gears except fifth indicate worn layshaft bearings.

Other common areas to look for are failure of the suspension bushes and resulting tyre wear and erratic steering.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
Doug (11-25-2020), Panthro (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 10:51 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks, NB.

I can deal with the mechanicals easily enough.

Part of my concern on electrics (or, really, electronics?) stems from my XJR experiences where the DIYer couldn't reprogram/reflash/recalibrate various components. At the time (years ago) there was no aftermarket equipment for this and the dealers in my area were abandoning support on older models.

Cheers and thanks
DD

Old 11-25-2020 | 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Doing your own work like you say, will save thousands....that, with availability of parts and the knowledge on this forum, i say go for it.....you already have a good mindset for it...looks like it is cosmetically good....my other piece of advice is to get jaguar sdd/ids software and carsoft i930 jaguar specific scanner....both together with the digital jtis shop manual and the aforementioned forum knowledge, make these cars a diy car for any level home mechanic

The following 3 users liked this post by scottjh9:
Doug (11-25-2020), NBCat (11-25-2020), Panthro (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Thanks, NB.

I can deal with the mechanicals easily enough.

Part of my concern on electrics (or, really, electronics?) stems from my XJR experiences where the DIYer couldn't reprogram/reflash/recalibrate various components. At the time (years ago) there was no aftermarket equipment for this and the dealers in my area were abandoning support on older models.

Cheers and thanks
DD
you can reprogram modules with the jaguar software IDS/SDD. I think its required actually! Ive done so much with it and id be lost without it

The following 2 users liked this post by Aarcuda:
Doug (11-25-2020), Panthro (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

From the Questions You Didn't Ask department:

1) I'd be real cautious about the title not being in the seller's name. This may not be a big deal, or it could be a major headache. Since the title is from another state, expect some hassles when registering the car in the People's Republic of Oregon. Maybe factor this into any sales agreement, such as 2/3 down and then paid in full when the title transfer is complete.

2) Ever owned a black car before? I've only owned one, and never again. As slick as it may look, it shows every speck of dirt. Even worse, other drivers just don't see you very well. I'm a VERY cautious driver, and yet I still got hit twice. Both times, "Oh, I didn't see you..."

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
Panthro (11-26-2020), SinF (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

My experience of buying a title not in the owners name was a disaster. Bought a '07 Ford Explorer for a quick flip, price was right, vehicle was right, only glitch signed title but not the owner selling. Owners boss, car was payment for money owed. I should have walked, I knew I should walk, but the price was to good. The real red flag should have been fresh oil change. Engine seized up 200 miles later going down the interstate. Oil filter so full of metal shavings it would not pump oil. Sigh... it's still sitting in the back 40 three years later.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

I have done similar adventures with old cars. I enjoyed them and learned a lot. It also made no financial sense. I also don't do this anymore unless there is at least a potential to make some of the money back.

I used to own 80s era BMW with the famous bulletproof straight-6 engine. I enjoyed driving it and took it to crazy 400K before it was retired as still running car. Some things were on 5th round of replacements. The car cost me about $250/mo in maintenance and repair costs. That is without any transmission or engine issues.

The reality of ownership of such car is that it costs about as much as a much more reliable and safer newer car. This can be explained by a bathtub curve - as most cars are best in 2 to 8 year range and then failures and repairs start stacking up.

The core issue is that you will spend thousands of dollars and still have $1400 car. No matter what records, what shape it is in and so on - you won't be able to sell it for more (or at all).

Personally, I love old cars but I now only spend money on something that I would pleasure drive (and not commute/daily drive). So various convertibles and performance cars.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (11-27-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 05:29 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
From the Questions You Didn't Ask department:

1) I'd be real cautious about the title not being in the seller's name. This may not be a big deal, or it could be a major headache. Since the title is from another state, expect some hassles when registering the car in the People's Republic of Oregon. Maybe factor this into any sales agreement, such as 2/3 down and then paid in full when the title transfer is complete.
What I do in such cases is have the seller accompany me to the DMV. I bring money, he brings paperwork. Walk up to the counter together. When the DMV person says "no problem" I hand over the envelope. If the seller won't agree to this, the deal is off !

2) Ever owned a black car before? I've only owned one, and never again. As slick as it may look, it shows every speck of dirt. Even worse, other drivers just don't see you very well. I'm a VERY cautious driver, and yet I still got hit twice. Both times, "Oh, I didn't see you..."
Two times I've owned black cars, each time swearing "never gain"

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Panthro (11-27-2020), S-Type Owner (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 05:37 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I have done similar adventures with old cars. I enjoyed them and learned a lot. It also made no financial sense. I also don't do this anymore unless there is at least a potential to make some of the money back.

The core issue is that you will spend thousands of dollars and still have $1400 car. No matter what records, what shape it is in and so on - you won't be able to sell it for more (or at all).

100% correct...but you're preachin' to the choir. This isn't my first rodeo with a project car. And don't get me started on boats! . They've all been money down the drain and, still, I don't begrudge a single dime spent. Besides, they keep me out of the taverns and brothels

I hope I never have enough money to buy an airplane. Then things could really go off the rails!

Gonna look at the car this weekend and see how bad it is....or isn't.

Cheers and thanks
DD

Panthro (11-27-2020), SinF (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 05:56 PM
jya

I get the argument about it always being an old car etc etc.
Much cheaper with this car than going to the taverns and brothels lol!
Oh, it's also going to be cheaper than the depreciation of a new or nearly new car.

Old 11-26-2020 | 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

I would spend the money and purchase a CarFax report on the vehicle, they can often be quite enlightening... If the car checks out, a manual transmission S-type would be a rare car to own!

Old 11-26-2020 | 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
...but you're preachin' to the choir. This isn't my first rodeo with a project car. And don't get me started on boats! . They've all been money down the drain and, still, I don't begrudge a single dime spent.
Consider early Infiniti g35 coupe, they seem to be developing cult following and my guess they will go up in value.

Old 11-26-2020 | 12:03 PM
|
Veteran Member

Consider early Infiniti g35 coupe, they seem to be developing cult following and my guess they will go up in value.
As a matter of fact I have been considering those. Finding one locally that hasn't already had the full-on boy racer treatment is a bit difficult. I'll have to broaden my search, I guess.

We'll see.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-26-2020 | 12:59 PM

$1400 sounds a lot for a car with problems - I bought a 2.5V6 (in the UK) for £1500 and it was spotless & fully functional - and only had about 80K on the clock.

At the very least find out what the codes are - if there aren't any then walk away as it sounds like they have been erased (until the next time that is.....)

My 2.5 did have a vacuum leak after the new owner removed the inlet manifold to replace the spark plugs - there are 6 oval shaped rubber seals that must be in good condition and in place - but the problem was a small rubber pipe was left unattached resulting in an engine light and fault codes. So it could be simple.

Last edited by graham-r; 11-26-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2020 | 03:41 PM
|
Veteran Member

My expectation is that any $1400 used car is gonna have problems. As used cars go, in my area, that's nearing the bottom price rung for a car that still actually runs and drives.

We'll see what happens. I feel better after reassurances about support for the electronics/management systems. The most likely deal-killer at this point will be cosmetics. If the car is too shabby (and it probably will be) then I'll have to walk away. Generally, mechanical repairs are small money compared to paint jobs and leather replacements.

I've been looking for a mid-size, rear wheel drive, manual transmission project car for some time. Nowadays that's not the easiest configuration to find, BMW excepted.

Is this the one? Too soon to tell.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-27-2020 | 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

What about Mercedes 300D, a cult classic and pre-DEF diesel too? Early Genesis G70, they still support MT and I liked them when test drove new. I also think you can get Buick Verano with a MT (they are FWD), but never seen or drove one myself.

I also think Caddilac made recently few models with MT. I have seen one in a car show few years back. Also liked interior a lot, tons of real wood.

Last edited by SinF; 11-27-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2020 | 04:14 PM
|
Veteran Member

What about Mercedes 300D, a cult classic and pre-DEF diesel too?
I've thought about it; would consider if one came along that really tickled my fancy. Or even some of the older MB gasoline models. There are several 80s vintage models I like, appearance wise.

I also think Caddilac made recently few models with MT. I have seen one in a car show few years back. Also liked interior a lot, tons of real wood.
There's the hot rod CTS/V...which can get a little expensive. Also for a number of years a V6/5-speed CTS. Hard to find but I'd consider one if it happened along. They drive nicely.

Close-to-home is a bit important to me as I really don't fancy traipsing far-and-wide to look at cars nor do I like to buy sight-unseen. Very limiting, obviously. Of course if I didn't specifically want a manual transmission I could find a great car in a day.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 11-28-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2020 | 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well?

Old 12-07-2020 | 09:38 PM
|
Veteran Member

Never saw the car; seller took down the listing and demurred on showing the car "because the whole family was sick". I later made an additional overture but no response.

I guess it "wasn't meant to be"

Cheer
DD

kr98664 (12-07-2020), S-Type Owner (12-08-2020)