S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tapping noise after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tapping noise after oil change

I just bought a 2006 s type 3.0. when I brought it home the first thing I did was check the oil. Nothing showd up on the dipstick which freaked me out cause I thought there was no oil in the engine and I had driven 45 miles home from the dealer. so I decided to just do an oil change. when I drained the oil I got about 3 or 4qt out. After changing the oil like 1 day later I start hearing this tapping sound around 1000rpm and it's just bothering me cause im worried that it might be some thing serious. I didn't hear this noise when I test drove the car or when I was driving it back home. could it be the filter? I used a bosch filter with moble 1 engine oil. also after lowering the car and test driving it after changing oil the front brakes use to be so quiet that you could not hear them. Now I hear a lot of brake noise. can anybody help me out?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Does the "tick" follow the crank speed as the gas is depressed then depressed? If yes then may have bearing problem. Does the "tick" run at half speed of crank speed? If yes then possible valve train problem. A worn a/c compressor may knock or tick. turn it off then listen. A worn water pump can emit a "tick". Remove accessory belt, turn her on, then listen. If you have a stethescope, use it on valve cover to detect valve train problem or oil pan to detect rod knock. You may find the "tick" disappear as the new more-volumnous oil re-sets the OHC followers. Others will be here soon to help. Hang on and keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
DavidRey (03-25-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

also...who knows how long since last change befor yours..and thats quite a small amount to drain out.. it could very well be that there was some respectable sludge deposits. Once you put the new oil in.. the detergents actually act like a cleaner..clearing those old deposits that were in fact hiding the ticking..most likely from the lifters.

I would strongly suggest that you run the oil you just put in for maybe 1000 miles... and change it again...I could make a fair wager your "new"oil wll be black

Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

These engines have dual overhead cams not requiring hydraulic valve lifters. Sludge may be due to stuck-open thermostat; allowing engine oil to cool to the point where carbon deposits precipitate out.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM

thanks for the reply guys, do you think the sales man at the dealer might have put in regular uleaded fuel rather than premium which would have caused knocking? before driving off he did put in a full tank of gas. I added gummout octaine booster and the noise has noticably become a bit quieter.

Last edited by DavidRey; 03-24-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Does the "tick" follow the crank speed as the gas is depressed then depressed? If yes then may have bearing problem. Does the "tick" run at half speed of crank speed? If yes then possible valve train problem. A worn a/c compressor may knock or tick. turn it off then listen. A worn water pump can emit a "tick". Remove accessory belt, turn her on, then listen. If you have a stethescope, use it on valve cover to detect valve train problem or oil pan to detect rod knock. You may find the "tick" disappear as the new more-volumnous oil re-sets the OHC followers. Others will be here soon to help. Hang on and keep us posted.
Dont really know how to explain it but when the gas is pressed the "tick" ticks a bit more then goes away past about 1500rpm then returns when rpm drops below 1500.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fergs03R
I would strongly suggest that you run the oil you just put in for maybe 1000 miles... and change it again...I could make a fair wager your "new"oil wll be black
Yes on that.... Change it again and soon....

Originally Posted by DavidRey
I just bought a 2006 s type 3.0. when I brought it home the first thing I did was check the oil.
I have to say.... "Shame on you".... At least check fluids any time you look at a used car... But I won't dwell...

It is very possible that the dealer didn't do a service before listing the car for sale... My experience with the 3.0 is it is an oil user... (that oil that drips out of the IMT valves comes from somewhere, right?) Mine would go through a quart or so by 3000 miles... I would never go the manual's recommended 10,000 miles between services... So, it just may have been a while since the last service. I would get some Lucas fuel system cleaner and run that.. When you get close to 100 miles before your going to change the oil again (soon I hope) run a quart of ATF in it to deep clean things out, then change the oil and put in conventional oil, not synthetic. See if that makes a difference. Then answer back.

About your brakes:
How many miles are on the 06? How long was it sitting at the dealer? My personal opinion is the "stock" brakes suck on these cars.. I replaced mine with Centric's Posi-Quiet semi metallic pads and the dust level was low, they were perfectly quiet, and stopped the car beautifully. They are not that much money and it would be worth it to do it. I am not a ceramic brake fan (let the arguments start ). I find that they are noisy and don't offer the same brake power that a good set of semi's do...

Old 03-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Veteran member

Dont really know how to explain it but when the gas is pressed the "tick" ticks a bit more then goes away past about 1500rpm then returns when rpm drops below 1500.
Oh, I didn't put this in with my other post on purpose.... Because, since the oil was low, I really think you need to do that other stuff... But, my 300 "ticks" just like you describe... It is actually one of the accessory drive pulleys on mine.. So, run it and listen real close.. You may find it coming from the very front of the motor... Mine is minor, but I'm going to watch things... If you can, get in there and check the belt for wear, and any of the pulleys for excessive play...

Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

Sometimes it's the tensioner (and can be fixed by greasing / a new one). Beware of rotating parts!!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

My 02 X-Type 3.0 did this and it was the connecting rod bearings. Just wanted you to know my story. Hopefully the issue is a leaking exhaust manifold, drive accessories, etc. Regardless, bring her back to the dealer pronto.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Yes on that.... Change it again and soon....

I have to say.... "Shame on you".... At least check fluids any time you look at a used car... But I won't dwell...

It is very possible that the dealer didn't do a service before listing the car for sale... My experience with the 3.0 is it is an oil user... (that oil that drips out of the IMT valves comes from somewhere, right?) Mine would go through a quart or so by 3000 miles... I would never go the manual's recommended 10,000 miles between services... So, it just may have been a while since the last service. I would get some Lucas fuel system cleaner and run that.. When you get close to 100 miles before your going to change the oil again (soon I hope) run a quart of ATF in it to deep clean things out, then change the oil and put in conventional oil, not synthetic. See if that makes a difference. Then answer back.

About your brakes:
How many miles are on the 06? How long was it sitting at the dealer? My personal opinion is the "stock" brakes suck on these cars.. I replaced mine with Centric's Posi-Quiet semi metallic pads and the dust level was low, they were perfectly quiet, and stopped the car beautifully. They are not that much money and it would be worth it to do it. I am not a ceramic brake fan (let the arguments start ). I find that they are noisy and don't offer the same brake power that a good set of semi's do...
yeah I know I guess cause there were no lightes on on the dash board I assumed every thing was fine. I took a look at the engine before I bought it but don't know why I didn't check oil at the time . The jag has 74K on it and when I'm comming to a stop you can hear the front breaks dragging on the discs. Before they where so damn quiet. during oil change I had put jack stands under both wheel struts and slowly gently lowered the car on the jack stands while keeping the jacks as extra support. Could putting the jack stands there have put the wheels off balance?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
My 02 X-Type 3.0 did this and it was the connecting rod bearings. Just wanted you to know my story. Hopefully the issue is a leaking exhaust manifold, drive accessories, etc. Regardless, bring her back to the dealer pronto.
Don't know what a rod bearing is but the way you typed it sounds like it was a bad experiance lol. Hopfully thats not my case but unfortunatley it was sold as-is.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

edit: about the jacking etc

Maybe I'm not understanding but that doesn't sound a good thing to do. Anyone else comment?

The jacking (etc) points have been stated here before, with a pic, I think, but in any case they're in JTIS.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Oh, I didn't put this in with my other post on purpose.... Because, since the oil was low, I really think you need to do that other stuff... But, my 300 "ticks" just like you describe... It is actually one of the accessory drive pulleys on mine.. So, run it and listen real close.. You may find it coming from the very front of the motor... Mine is minor, but I'm going to watch things... If you can, get in there and check the belt for wear, and any of the pulleys for excessive play...
I don't think it's the accesory drive, I tried listening for the ticking/ knocking sound with my ear close to the engine and I cant hear it. I only hear it from inside the car. I'll be taking the car in to the shop to have a mechanic check it out. one thing that I forgot to mention is that I also hear some strange noise inside the dash, sounds like when you move around on a leather couch. Any thoughts on what it might be? Im starting to get stressed .

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

one thing that I forgot to mention is that I also hear some strange noise inside the dash, sounds like when you move around on a leather couch. Any thoughts on what it might be? Im starting to get stressed .

Maybe you need some magic elixir for the pwr steering. Is it only when turning the wheel? even just a little bit? Or totally unrelated to steering wheel movement. You can search on "power steering noise" and it should pop up....you'd swear it is a plastic squeak inside the cabin in the column....but it is actually out in the engine bay (the rack) and an easy $10 fix.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Maybe you need some magic elixir for the pwr steering. Is it only when turning the wheel? even just a little bit? Or totally unrelated to steering wheel movement. You can search on "power steering noise" and it should pop up....you'd swear it is a plastic squeak inside the cabin in the column....but it is actually out in the engine bay (the rack) and an easy $10 fix.
I I doubt it's the stearing because after I shut off the engine it still makes that noise but when I let it sit for a few minutes it goes away. It's weird it sound like some thing is moving around in there. Any one know any mechanics on this forum near kennesaw Ga? I'm taking it to the shop but really I'd rather take it to the jag dealer since they specialize in these cars. only problem is I don't want to drive almost an hour to atlanta. If there are any folks who work on these cars out side of a shop near kennesaw please refer me to them. I need me a jag mechanig thats not gonna charge the dealer fees.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

The AC can sometimes make gurguling sounds in the dash.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

I don't think it's the accesory drive, I tried listening for the ticking/ knocking sound with my ear close to the engine and I cant hear it. I only hear it from inside the car. I'll be taking the car in to the shop to have a mechanic check it out. one thing that I forgot to mention is that I also hear some strange noise inside the dash, sounds like when you move around on a leather couch. Any thoughts on what it might be? Im starting to get stressed .
OK, I'm getting a little confused here...
Are there three different issues being discussed?
1) ticking sound related to RPM
2) Dash noise (creak / groan)
3) Brake noise.

I'm guessing it is all three but correct me if I'm wrong..

1) could be a lot of things..most likely a moving part on the outside of the engine. The 3.0 is a tough motor and even though it was bad to be that low on oil it probably was not damaged. Those things hold about 7 quarts of oil! If there really was some sort of internal damage I would think one of the many sensors on it would have picked something up and triggered a light by now. An easy way to check for pulley noise is to get yourself a can of spray lithium grease. Not WD40! The lithium grease is thick enough that it won't run down onto other stuff. Spray it behind a pulley, one at a time, and start up the car after each one. See if the tick goes away. Oh, as a word of caution, plan on cleaning off the front after you do that. The grease could actually hurt the bearings that you are spraying if you leave it there, since it is sticky and will attract dust and dirt. I've used that method for years and it always works. And start with the tensioner pulley, that is the one that fails the most.

2) Norri took the words out of my mouth. The climate control makes all kinds of weird noises even right after the car is turned off.. If the climate control works fine..Just leave it for now.

3) The brake noise could be a combination of things... Most likely cheap crappy pads and sitting on a lot for a while. It may clear up after driving it for a while. I'm real **** about brakes, so I would change them. Oh, while not a good thing to jack the car up from the lower a-arm mounting point, I doubt you hurt anything. I just wouldn't do it again....

You need to be careful. The oil change thing freaked you out so now your mind is going to hear every little thing and your gonna think its a major issue. I'm actually going through that with my 300 a little bit. Those cars are notorious for bad suspension bushings.... Every little thunk makes me go "OH CRAP"..

I see your signature lists both a 06 and a 03... You have both? That puts you in a interesting advantage... those two cars are almost identical. Yea, many of the body parts are different, but the mechanicals didn't change much.. The major difference between the two are some suspension bushings and the brake calipers up front..So, really you could compare one to the other..

I would schedule an inspection at the dealer. I know they are far away, but it would be worth it for peace of mind. Call around and see what they will charge. Many times it isn't that bad. Be up front with them. Tell them they are far away and that you have a local shop (even if you don't yet) and that you just bought the car and would like their "very experienced and knowledgeable" staff to go over the car for you (yes a bit of brown nosing works wonders!). See what they say and express your concerns..

I know it's long...hope it helps a bit... I don't think you really have that much going on...

The following users liked this post:
DavidRey (03-25-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM

OK, I'm getting a little confused here...
Are there three different issues being discussed?
1) ticking sound related to RPM
2) Dash noise (creak / groan)
3) Brake noise.

I'm guessing it is all three but correct me if I'm wrong..

1) could be a lot of things..most likely a moving part on the outside of the engine. The 3.0 is a tough motor and even though it was bad to be that low on oil it probably was not damaged. Those things hold about 7 quarts of oil! If there really was some sort of internal damage I would think one of the many sensors on it would have picked something up and triggered a light by now. An easy way to check for pulley noise is to get yourself a can of spray lithium grease. Not WD40! The lithium grease is thick enough that it won't run down onto other stuff. Spray it behind a pulley, one at a time, and start up the car after each one. See if the tick goes away. Oh, as a word of caution, plan on cleaning off the front after you do that. The grease could actually hurt the bearings that you are spraying if you leave it there, since it is sticky and will attract dust and dirt. I've used that method for years and it always works. And start with the tensioner pulley, that is the one that fails the most.

2) Norri took the words out of my mouth. The climate control makes all kinds of weird noises even right after the car is turned off.. If the climate control works fine..Just leave it for now.

3) The brake noise could be a combination of things... Most likely cheap crappy pads and sitting on a lot for a while. It may clear up after driving it for a while. I'm real **** about brakes, so I would change them. Oh, while not a good thing to jack the car up from the lower a-arm mounting point, I doubt you hurt anything. I just wouldn't do it again....

You need to be careful. The oil change thing freaked you out so now your mind is going to hear every little thing and your gonna think its a major issue. I'm actually going through that with my 300 a little bit. Those cars are notorious for bad suspension bushings.... Every little thunk makes me go "OH CRAP"..

I see your signature lists both a 06 and a 03... You have both? That puts you in a interesting advantage... those two cars are almost identical. Yea, many of the body parts are different, but the mechanicals didn't change much.. The major difference between the two are some suspension bushings and the brake calipers up front..So, really you could compare one to the other..

I would schedule an inspection at the dealer. I know they are far away, but it would be worth it for peace of mind. Call around and see what they will charge. Many times it isn't that bad. Be up front with them. Tell them they are far away and that you have a local shop (even if you don't yet) and that you just bought the car and would like their "very experienced and knowledgeable" staff to go over the car for you (yes a bit of brown nosing works wonders!). See what they say and express your concerns..

I know it's long...hope it helps a bit... I don't think you really have that much going on...
I took the jag to the shop today, told him about my concern and he checked it out. He didn't find any thing wrong but suggested that I run through the tank of gas and put in premuim, run it through and it should go away. I guess the sales man at the dealer went the cheap route when filling it up for me. as for the breaks and the noise in the dash maybe Im just noticing every little thing after I started hearing the engine knock. But I hope I didn't ruin anything behind the wheels but I don't see how I could have because that spot seemed like a tough and sturdy place to put the jack stands. But just to be safe and protect my car I will not do that again. I'll probably switch to ramps.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by norri
The AC can sometimes make gurguling sounds in the dash.
what about when the ac is off? I still hear it when it isn't on. I'm sure it's nothing serious Im just curious as to what it is and if it is linked to the tapping/knocking noise.

Quick Reply: tapping noise after oil change