S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tapping noise after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys. But I am NO expert by any means. As Vance puts it "avid DIYer".

Sorry that I am late to the party, but Zane has you hooked up.

About the MAP Sensor

that looks fine, nothing missing.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

David, if its not to late and you still have the manifold off. Would you unscrew the 2-8mm bolts on one of the IMT valves (the two black thingies on the back of the manifold) and check what color the O-Rings are?

If they are yellow replace them, if they are green in color you have the "new improved" style.

Some of us are curious if Jaguar updated the O-Rings to the green on the MY 2006 and up.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRey
So I took the jag to the mechanic over at nalley jaguar since it seems that It has nothing to do with the gas. At first I ran the car to half a tank topped it off with premium 93 octane fuel. Ran that to half a tank agian and topped of again with 93 octane fuel and it's still ticking. Had the jag mechanic look at it and tells me that they don't know what it is they checked every where but didn't find nothing to indicated a spun bearing or thrown rod But suggested I use a heavier type of oil and see what I get. He did say that the noise is most heard around the fuel injectors. Any thoughts guys? He recomended using seafoam in the gas tank so I will be doing that I also wanted to induce some into the vacuum line but having a hard time getting it to come off.
SEAFOAM? Don't do it. Definitely not.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joycesjag
David, if its not to late and you still have the manifold off. Would you unscrew the 2-8mm bolts on one of the IMT valves (the two black thingies on the back of the manifold) and check what color the O-Rings are?

If they are yellow replace them, if they are green in color you have the "new improved" style.

Some of us are curious if Jaguar updated the O-Rings to the green on the MY 2006 and up.

Thanks
Sorry joyce already put it back on. It did have the green intake manifold uper gaskets so I assume that it has the green ones on the rear.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
SEAFOAM? Don't do it. Definitely not.
Not in the tank or the vacc hoes or not at all? What kind of things have you seen go wrong with using seafoam? I wanted to see the ticking/rattling noise is due to maybe carbon build up or some thing. is there a better alternative that seafoam? Im running out of ideas hear.

Last edited by DavidRey; 04-03-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

It's been hashed over often, please use Search

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM

It's been hashed over often, please use Search
I think I read in another thread that I could just use water to steam clean out any carbon build up... Is this true? If so would It work just as well as seafoam is "supposedly" to?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

Try posts by Brutal.

Just a quickie, but these cars are not 1950s ones

Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Agreed. The ol' water-down-the-carburetor trick worked fairly well on the muscle cars of the 1960s and 70s. I would not be willing to risk it in today's computer-and-sensor-laden engines....

Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 PM

So I took My car over to hennessy jaguar about the ticking noise and they said that they don't no what it is. Should I still be concerned? Two jag mechanics already told me that they cant pinpoint where it is coming from. I asked him if he thinks it's a spun bearing and he said no because if it was you would really be hearing a knock sound in the engine. Does a spun bearing get louder over time or one day you start the car and it starts knocking really loud? I can't believe jaguar certified mechanics couldn't find where it's comming from. I know it's linked to the RPM but as it goes up it gets queiter, as soon as I let go of the gas it comes back as the rpm drops. Can any body give me a list some things that would cause this? I know for a fact that it's comming from the inside of the engine I tried using a stethescop but It's hard to hear it I just hear normal engine noise.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Possibly the aux drive belt tensioner. Maybe run the car with the aux belt off (briefly).

Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Possibly the aux drive belt tensioner. Maybe run the car with the aux belt off (briefly).
would that cause the noise to be heard from inside the engine? also would bad timing also be a possible cause? One mechanic at firestone that I took it to said it sounds like bad timing or a lifter, but these cars have OHC's. What method is there for checking ingnition timing?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Can anybody tell me why the "check oil pressure ligh" didn't come on when I was about 4 quarts low on oil? Did it mean that there was enough oil in the engine to keep oil pressure up or is there some thing wrong here? How low would the oil have to be for the light to pop up?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this ticking problem too, when I feel the lines, as shown in the picture the ticking seems to come from them. I plan on taking it back to the dealer Monday, my warranty expires the 29th.
Any Help Appreciated!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Are you SURE it's not the fuel injectors?? I have heard what I thought was an engine tick but finally convinced myself I was just hearing the click of the fuel injectors.

The canister pictured is a damper to reduce the fuel pulse noise. Be aware that that damper can also be source of the noise or the solenoid that operates it. Solenoid is the electrical plug that is circled in the picture. It might be worth trying to rig up a hose and nipple to temporarily bypass the damper canister? Maybe unplug the solenoid to see if the noise changes?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have the time to do all that, go to school fulltime and work fulltime, almost no free time, that's why I was trying to find out if anyone here has found a solution to the problem yet.. But it seems like the dealer will need to take care of it tomorrow when I take it in after class.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by s type R JAG
Don't have the time to do all that, go to school fulltime and work fulltime, almost no free time, that's why I was trying to find out if anyone here has found a solution to the problem yet.. But it seems like the dealer will need to take care of it tomorrow when I take it in after class.

Bummer and good luck. Please let us know what the outcome is.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Where angels fear to tread...and all that....I got a rapid-fire ticking from the circled solenoid on the wife's 3.0L the other day whilst spraying down the vacuum lines. It was intermittent...I took it as normal operation. Please keep us posted. If it's not supposed to do that from time-to-time, guess maybe I have a bit of a problem. Just sounded like a relay on a rapid-cycle to me.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't believe I'm reading this:--

"I just bought a 2006 s type 3.0. when I brought it home the first thing I did was check the oil. Nothing showd up on the dipstick which freaked me out cause I thought there was no oil in the engine and I had driven 45 miles home from the dealer. so I decided to..." (Copy&paste).

A dealer sold you a car with an improper amount of oil in the engine? AND when you renewed the oil you got a "tapping noise"?

If that were me, I'd be right back to that dealer demanding my money back PRONTO!!!

All sorts of reasons,
1) I'd be suspicious the car was full of faults, and the previous owner has decided to "get shot of it" rather than pay out horrendous money to rectify.
2) Any dealer who can't be bothered to at least check oil/water/etc. like any conscientious owner would is to be kept well clear of.
3) When engine bearings, hydraulic tappets etc. get worn or if the oil pressure is low, start to make noise, a quick "cure" is to feed a can of thick polymer made by STP etc. into the oil to quieten things. It also reduces heavy oil consumption due to wear.
EVEN AT HIGH MILEAGE, Jaguar engines don't normally burn/consume oil -- so why was the oil level off the dipstick in your car? I'd be suspicious that engine had had the STP treatment. Did you keep the old oil? Useful if you did as evidence.
I don't know the law in your area, but in UK a dealer is responsible for the cars he sells "being fit for purpose" whether they be second-hand or not. The Sale of goods act, and the Provision of goods and services act apply in UK.
Leedsman.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

I've used Seafoam in every vehical every 6-9 months just before oil changes. Don't use it in the oil or tank, just vacum lines. That stuff is like gold. To each theier own though. I'f you don't like it, don't use it. But I friggen love that stuff.

As far as the tank just run some highgrade fuel system cleaner. Not the $4 bottle of crap, grab something like Lucas Oil Fuel cleaner. I use again do this every oil change as well.

This include my DD's, bikes, as well as my racecars.

Edit:
Originally Posted by DavidRey
Can anybody tell me why the "check oil pressure ligh" didn't come on when I was about 4 quarts low on oil? Did it mean that there was enough oil in the engine to keep oil pressure up or is there some thing wrong here? How low would the oil have to be for the light to pop up?
As long as the sump was able to pump then the "pressure" was good, = no warning light. High RPM's might have gave a signal perhaps.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 04-26-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: tapping noise after oil change