S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tested: New Tuning Option for STR!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuzupez
I'm talking about every turbo car, diesel truck, and MOST supercharged vehicles. There are tunes for everything that make big increase in hp numbers. Again it's frustrating there are no companies or tuners who can get inside our ecu's to do this. I bet there is so much power to free up that nobody has yet to unveil....... But yes in the mean time I will be purchasing a pulley, intake tube, and a friend of mine at RLD Fabrication will be making me a custom exhaust!

I think it's clear judging by my dyno results; eurocharged demonstrated the ability to tune/modify our ecu calibration. Not sure why you're insisting this tune did 'nothing'.

Again, the gains are subjective, and go beyond what the peak numbers on the dyno demonstrate. Personally, I did pick up on some driveability differences.

Indeed, there are tunes for 'everything', and advertise big gains in the 25-50hp range. Reality is, they generally don't deliver those sorts of advertised gains. In some applications, indeed, there is lots of power to be freed up. But this usually coincides with a boost increase, and is more the exception than the rule. Turbo cars usually post great gains from a tune, as their WOT/open loop operation is typically tuned pig-rich from the factory.

Your basing your opinion on tunes providing extraordinary gains from no personal experience. What exactly makes you think "so much power waiting to be freed up" with the STR?

In my personal experience, having done dyno tuning of piggy back and full standalone ecu's over the years, the 10-15hp gain eurocharged managed to squeeze out of my setup with just a basic flash, is right in line with what I, or anyone knowledgeable, would reasonably expect.

50hp gain from just a few adjustments to the fuel tables and degree or two extra timing just isn't realistic. Unless of course, your expectations of what a 'tune' gains is based on what you read advertised in a magazine or on eBay.

As JagV8 mentioned, there are a few companies offering the ecu flash/tune, eurocharged is just one of them, which I happened to put to the test.
Everyone, including eurocharged, advertises the "25-50hp" gain claim, yet not a single one of them has dynographs to prove it. Reality is, that "+25hp or more" advertised gain translates to 10-15hp at the wheel in the case of the STR, and same could likely be said about many others,

Last edited by GT42R; 02-07-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

exactly, that what im saying 10-15 hp gains......to be expected......50? i would never believe such a claim

Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

If an engine were to leave the OEM in a mild state of tune, then yes- there's lots of potential power to be gained at reasonable cost.

Everything I've seen to date indicates that Jag did a good job of not leaving much on the table.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
If an engine were to leave the OEM in a mild state of tune, then yes- there's lots of potential power to be gained at reasonable cost.

Everything I've seen to date indicates that Jag did a good job of not leaving much on the table.
I think the stock tune is fine as it is very safe/reliable. I think a more aggressive tune would be nice to try and lean out the top end, but I wouldn't want to compromise the engine reliability for 20 more hp.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Absolutely, that has been true for many years - I've always heard that there was little point in trying to up the power of a Jag. In fact, it was said that Jag's mantra was "from factory to racetrack".

And yet... What does Avos know that we don't? That Kenne Belle twin-screw supercharger adds another 120-150 HP to the STR without even a re-tune! Did Jag leave something on the table this time round?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
Absolutely, that has been true for many years - I've always heard that there was little point in trying to up the power of a Jag. In fact, it was said that Jag's mantra was "from factory to racetrack".

And yet... What does Avos know that we don't? That Kenne Belle twin-screw supercharger adds another 120-150 HP to the STR without even a re-tune! Did Jag leave something on the table this time round?
The KB unit is a larger displacement and a twin screw vs. the roots style M112 we have. Jaguar chose the M112 because of its great reliability and durability whereas I have yet to see any KB unit put on an STR or the results of such a venture. Even with the new S/C 5.0 they continue to use a roots style blower.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Indeed, the jag is in some ways, difficult to mod.
no readily available ecu/tcm tuning,
the few mods we have (intake/exhaust), don't make wild gains,
the blower is already running pretty close to peak efficiency, so overspinning this really unsophisticated eaton blower via a pulley upgrade fattens up the torque curve low to mid-range, but 5,000-6,200rpm it's not making substantially more torque at all.

There is no 'secret' to making big hp with avos' twin screw kit, except maybe for how nicely machined everything is to make it as efficient as possible (attention to bottlenecks),

the simple fact is, you push more AIR through an engine, it makes more power. the twin screw is significantly more efficient; the eaton and kb ts are so different from one another, its almost disingenuous to consider them both 'superchargers'.

fiddling with tunes can unlock power (and certainly improve driveability too), a pulley will push a little more air/boost, and intake/exhaust works through efficiency gains,

you want to make 50+ hp or more, you won't do it by tweaking it at the margins, this is where turbos or bigger blowers come in,

How is it that an ecu tune on a stock STR can't make much more than 10-15hp? but this same tune can support 100hp+ gain (on stock fuel injectors no less),

Well first off, the ecu is flexible. It (basicaly) has an airflow meter and calibrations to go by. When it measures more airflow (thanks to a twin screw), it adds fuel.
It can do this to some limit, seems like avos has demonstrated it to be at least 100hp more airflow,

The other thing to consider, is that the twin screw blower is again, MORE EFFICIENT; it requires LESS HP to drive its operation. What this means, is less fuel (energy) is being wasted trying to spin the blower with a twin screw. This means, that given the SAME power out, a twin screw engine would be firing % less fuel, than an eaton.

In other words, a twin screw by its very nature, frees up your injectors, they spray less fuel to make the same amount of power.
instead of wasting fuel trying to drive the blower, this extra injector, in essence, recovered, can now be used to fuel the additional airflow from the twin screw.

At some point, lets say in the 100-200hp gain range, you'll eventually run the airflow off the map/calibration, or run out of injector. here, you would add a methanol injection kit to your twin screw setup, and that extra bit of fuel you get from it should cover any shortfall in the factory tune.

Other options, if you don't want to go the meth route to support more power, you'll need to upgrade the fuel injectors at least, bigger/more flow,

In order to compensate for these bigger injectors, you would need a maf-interceptor style piggyback tuning solution, (MAP ECU 2/3 comes to mind, and would more than likely work on our cars),

Or, eurocharged has demonstrated they can in fact flash/tune our ecu's. If i did a twin screw upgrade with bigger injectors, I could have them flash the necessary changes, as well as dyno tuning of course!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Are you sure QuartzSTypeR?

All the descriptions I have read sure indicate Jaguar went to a twin screw blower on the direct injected 5.0L?

Jaguar XFR/XKR Tech Donors: Vette ZR1, Ford Fusion

Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1

All the descriptions I have read sure indicate Jaguar went to a twin screw blower on the direct injected 5.0L?

These new Eaton TVS units are functioning actually much more like a screw unit, that’s also obvious when you look at the lobes of the unit, and which is probably one would think they are.

That is also why they are so much more efficient again than the old Eaton roots units. There is one more difference between actual twin-screw units, and that is that these compress air inside the unit itself, ideally at the same rate is required, that is again more efficient.

So for higher boost pressures the true twin-screws are more efficient and deliver more power, but for car makers the twin-vortices is a better choice, as they run normally a relatively low boost and because these units use less power during coasting as they aren’t compressing air all the time.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_Jaggar
As interesting as all this is. Put two fat lads in the back of your car and those gains are gone. $800 for nothing!
Originally Posted by GT42R
not sure if i follow this particular logic...
In simple terms, Power to weight ratio.....!

The following users liked this post:
Wuzupez (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM

As interesting as all this is. Put two fat lads in the back of your car and those gains are gone. $800 for nothing!
Hmm... If I was faced with the prospect of continuously driving with two fat lads in the back of my car, i wouldn't spend a dime on engine upgrades. Probably just buy a truck.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM

In simple terms, Power to weight ratio.....!
well... obviously.

If I add a few hundred pounds of weight, it offsets any gains the tune makes. How is this at all a relevant point?
Does the tune come included with a mandatory 500lb ballast to be installed?
Is there other mods or tunes out there, that will turn added passengers or cargo weightless???

Originally Posted by GT42R
the value proposition of this tune is really up to the individual STR owner,

there is a lot more to judging a a tune than just its peak numbers,

i've done plenty of mods on my STR, none were cheap. most of them made small gains, i'm still pretty happy,

Any meaningful gains will need a twin screw KB upgrade for that 100-200hp extra, but you think that is any cheaper dollar-for-dollar or easier to do?

$/hp rating : par

Last edited by GT42R; 02-08-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb
Hmm... If I was faced with the prospect of continuously driving with two fat lads in the back of my car, i wouldn't spend a dime on engine upgrades. Probably just buy a truck.

You could obviously consider substituting four shapely females!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-24-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1

The TVS unit is not a twin screw, but avos explained why a lot better than I could.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
You could obviously consider substituting four shapely females!
I am itching to respond to this suggestion, but will refrain because of the type of supercharger being discussed.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The tvs is a roots blower just like the m112. The main difference is the new lobe design, more blades and more twist.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/625854-twin-screw-vs-roots.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...win-screw.html

Last edited by just rob; 02-09-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2011 VW GTI with $600 chip from APR makes huge gains! They offer stages 1 thru 3. All I'm saying is wouldn't it be nice if there were chips or software tunes for our STR's with these results! There are so many companies for the VW/Audi that make chips or tunes that range in power anywhere from 40whp to 70whp. Just from a chip! So again it's just a little depressing to me for only a 10 to 15whp gain for $800. Hardly noticeable on a 4,100lb car. Not arguing or fighting with anyone on here so you guys don't need to all jump on me now. I love the STR and content with its power & torque in stock form. However, as I stated previously it would be nice to get bigger gains out of the mods we do.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuzupez
My 2011 VW GTI with $600 chip from APR makes huge gains! They offer stages 1 thru 3. All I'm saying is wouldn't it be nice if there were chips or software tunes for our STR's with these results!
Easy for turbo cars, as there the pressure is often electronically regulated, so a tune is indeed a way to get much more hp. On supercharged cars the airflow is fixed per revolution as the unit is directly connected to the crank. That gives great torque low end, no lag as with turbos that 1st need to spool up. As the a/f ratio and ignition timing is already optimized as much as can be (yet still leave some safety room) there isn't much to gain on our cars with just a tune. The only exception here are the 5.0 SC cars, as there the ECU has torque limiters, and controls the maximum airflow via the TB, so taking away the torque limiters there does yield again some good power.

jag79 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Easy for turbo cars, as there the pressure is often electronically regulated, so a tune is indeed a way to get much more hp. On supercharged cars the airflow is fixed per revolution as the unit is directly connected to the crank. That gives great torque low end, no lag as with turbos that 1st need to spool up. As the a/f ratio and ignition timing is already optimized as much as can be (yet still leave some safety room) there isn't much to gain on our cars with just a tune. The only exception here are the 5.0 SC cars, as there the ECU has torque limiters, and controls the maximum airflow via the TB, so taking away the torque limiters there does yield again some good power.
I completely understand this. However, the Audi S4's are a 3.0 supercharged engine. Stock is 333hp. With a chip from one of the many tuners out there it's easy to raise that to 400hp.

Quick Reply: Tested: New Tuning Option for STR!