S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks a lot STRaightJAGgin I just smashed my STR!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,416 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Thanks Brutal. I will check with the body shop and get with you. I just need to catch the shop BEFORE they order any parts or it will be too late.

I did request new parts but was told the hood and fender for sure will be salvage parts but must meet the shops quality level before use. Talking to the body shop they said that means no dents and only minor scratches allowed and of course they will need to be painted. Not too happy about that but my policy does not state new parts. Don't know how to insist on new?

Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know of any policy that will provide new parts on a 7 yo car. They only have to use Like Kind and Quality...LKQ. You car has 7 yo parts on it now. If they find comparable parts that can be reconditioned, that's what they use. Some policys can be had that exclude aftermarket but never heard of one garanteeing all new OEM.

Good luck with the shop. Personally, I wouldn't be too thrilled to have someone carry their own parts in and expect me to fraud the company on their behalf. But that's just me.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bodyman! That is exactly what they are doing. I guess the LKQ rating is a bit of a leap of faith since I won't see the parts before install. Can you say anymore about what would disqualify a part?

I really enjoy junkyard shopping and always try to pull my own parts. It a problem because depending on where you live they won't let you roam the yard anymore. I want to get all the proper factory screws and bolts and gaskets etc. along with the main part. That kind of stuff is usually wasted at the scrap yards. The amount of small stuff that is left off most shop repairs using salvage parts is what worries me.

With your name are you in the body shop business? I have done a good bit of it myself as a backyard hobby and have seen a lot of "repairs". So the surface may look fine and even straight but what lurks below and how long will it last??

Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Good luck with the shop. Personally, I wouldn't be too thrilled to have someone carry their own parts in and expect me to fraud the company on their behalf. But that's just me.
please explain to me how thats fraud. My daughters had someone just back into her on the street in her Xtype. same type damage, headlight, grill, bumper cover and hood. They gave prices on salvage parts. Now I have a set of Xtpye headlight that are not broken, clear lenses that I rebuilt in the garage. Should Ide have said hey I got a set that cost me a couple hundred to repair, so just knock that $800 off your estimate. Hell no! they have a value and thats what the insurance saw as the value. If I can get them cheaper than their est.thats my business. If they pay for new and I decide to use salvage, then again thats my choice. I still fail to see your point as fraud.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

It might be that it's not the estimate that is the problem, it is the final invoice.

On the final invoice, the body shop would effectively be saying that they paid $1200 for a used headlight when they did not. Goodbye further business from that insurance company.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well the way the insurance I have works is I pay the premium. I hit the deer so the insurance needs to make me "whole". The damage is estimated and the amount approved by insurance or they total the car. That amount money, my settlement is mine to do with what I want. I am not obligated to repair my car. I can pocket the cash and drive around a smashed up car. Or I can repair part or all of it myself and pay someone to paint/finish it.

The insurance even asked how I wanted this paid. To me or to the body shop. So I think supplying parts is really my decision and perfectly fine?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Clubairth, mine are just like yours and so are the companies Ive delt with over the years.
Allstate is one of the companies I have and safeco the other. they dont get a final bill unless supplements are needed. They cut a check on the spot to me or my daughter with a clear title. Now if you dont have a clear title they cut a check made out to the body shop and the insured.
Allstate has even given a customer of mine a "diminished value" check on her Jaguar. twice....on top of the repair costs

Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Now you just need to request that they quote new parts prices since "your baby" needs to best
And Ide say a $7000-8k repair
I've tried getting new parts for a car before and my insurance had told me at the time I get a used or repaired bumper only. Turns out it didn't really matter. A week after I got my rear bumper repaired, someone hit the rear again while it was parked in a lot. fml

Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Yes you are correct Brutal. If the company specifies a new part and pays the customer directly, they can do whatever they please...even fix it themselves , leave it wrecked or make a deal with the shop. Happens here all the time. I call it playing "Let's make a deal"

Perhaps I misunderstood the post. It sounded to me like the owner and shop were going to insist on a new headlight then install a used one. That is fraud in my book and if they reinspect and find a used headlight they can charge it back. Probably never happen but the possibility exists.

Then there is the fact that the shop is going to lose it's markup on the new light. At least 20% maybe a bit more. You can do the math on that but that's another story. No law against losing money.

Good luck with the repairs.

PS: I should add that I bought a HL from Brutal for Laurie's car and was well pleased with it. So if you do go that route I can reccomend him as an honest seller.

Last edited by Bodyman; 01-29-2012 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brutal (01-30-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 AM

Club, yes I have owned my shop since 1978.

Used parts are for the most part up to the shop to inspect. A small ding wouldn't disqualify something to me. You can order a new part and get that. I don't care to use something that has been refinished peviously and previous repair work definitely not. I have also got used parts that turned out to be aftermarket. That won't happen with you since no one makes aftermarket for an S Type.

Your's looks to be a light hit. I wouldn't expect any problems with the repair. Biggest PITA is matching the color.

Back to the insurance. I can't imagine how you came to have $1000.00 deductible on comprehensive. $100.00 is the usual standard. The coverage is so cheap that a high deductible makes no sence. $1000.00 pretty much eliminates any glass breakage claims. A rock hits your windshield and you are going to foot the bill. I would get that changed ASAP.

I just changed carriers myself. These companies are all competeing very agressively. Just look at all the TV ads. I went online for a couple quotes and the phone started ringing right away. You have to be very careful to specify your coverage. They will quote the bare minimum to come in with a low price. Limited tort, no un-insured coverage, low liability limits, and high deductibles...all to keep the quote as low as possible. That's all fine until something happens. Just saying. In all my years I have never fixed a comp claim with that sort of deductible. I would be on the phone with the agent.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

I always run the highest deductibles. On car, house, health. I don't have a problem with paying $1000. It's the first time I have ever paid a deductible for damage I caused. If you need a lower deductible then that's right for you.
It's all about tradeoffs.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I always run the highest deductibles. On car, house, health. I don't have a problem with paying $1000. It's the first time I have ever paid a deductible for damage I caused. If you need a lower deductible then that's right for you.
It's all about tradeoffs.

Deer hit = you didn't cause the damage. That's why it falls under comprehensive not collision. Suit yourself, your money.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

To follow up. The insurance bill is $4700. Sorry Brutal they already got a drivers headlight. I was not quick enough I guess!

Paid $650 for the light and it's the "R" version with the black surround. They are replacing the hood and grill and leaper with new parts but will repair the fender and bumper cover. They could not find a good used hood?

Not too happy about the fender repair and have talked to the body shop. They assured me that if it does not repair properly the will replace it. The insurance will pay a supplemental payment if more damage is found during the repair.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 AM

I wouldn't be happy about the fender either. I've seen replaced with less damage than that.

I read once that the more expensive the vehicle, the worse the repairs. If it was a $200 fender such as a Honda, they would just replace it no question. But for $460, they figure throw some labor money at the shop. Shop figures they make more fixing than the markup will be so they go along.

I'd be concerned about getting that bodyline straight. I'm betting they only paid to blend within the panel too. So that saves them a full refinish on the fender and a blend into the door. See how they do I guess.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bodyman!
I will be careful and check what you recommended.

Your input has been helpful. I usually do all my own body and paint but am hung up in a job and don't have a shop at all anymore.

Very unhappy about that!!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yeah - Uninsured Deer

Originally Posted by Jon89
Glad to hear you're okay. We live in deer country as well. I'm extra careful when out at night during rutting season regardless of which vehicle I'm driving. Deer all over the road, and accidents on a regular basis....
I've lost a car to a deer too. Also seen it happen several times. They get up and limp away. A true hit and run.
I guess we don't keep their numbers down especially as more an more of us become vegetarian!
hope your insurance sorts it out.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Insurance and Banks..

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Well the way the insurance I have works is I pay the premium. I hit the deer so the insurance needs to make me "whole". The damage is estimated and the amount approved by insurance or they total the car. That amount money, my settlement is mine to do with what I want. I am not obligated to repair my car. I can pocket the cash and drive around a smashed up car. Or I can repair part or all of it myself and pay someone to paint/finish it.
Ever seen a poor insurance agent?

The following users liked this post:
space0matic (02-25-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

I guess they should work for free like you do???

Update on the repairs. The fixed the drivers fender really well. But the paint did not match so I refused the car and they redid it.

Second time came out great and paint was a perfect match. BUT when I got in to start the car so I could check the driver’s side HID light was working properly. I noticed the console seemed a bit mushy?? Got to looking and somebody had broken into the car and attempted to pry the navigation unit out of the dash!!! Broke the top right hand corner off the navigation unit. Broke the center console cup holders and the fuzzy lining inside the cubby hole. Damaged the leather covering on the console cover.

Body shop just called and they had to get a new navigation unit from Jaguar for over $4000!!! Boy am I glad I saw all that before driving off!!! It will take until next week to get the parts in.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds pretty bad that a shop would give a customer the car back in that condition. You mite want to find a different shop for future repairs.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yes you have a good point! I hope to not be using body shops anymore. Before this I went years without any body repairs.

Quick Reply: Thanks a lot STRaightJAGgin I just smashed my STR!